Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil change factoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 AM
ErikM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Oil change factoid

So I needed an oil change ( had 5K on the oil) anyway I've been using Mobil 1 for years, this time Walmart was out of 5-30 and all they had was Castrol Edge Titanium..Castrol USA - CASTROL EDGE WITH TITANIUM I figure WTF can't hurt anything, well lo and behold the valve train chatter I had on startup is gone.. no real hard data on why, but I think I'll just stick with the Castrol.. just though some of you might be interested. On and I'm not knocking Mobile 1, just thought this was interesting.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Mobil 1 has many hardcore fans that like to think its the best available. I used to be one of them. Until I learned that different oils perform differently in different engines. It's not the best in our VHR motors. Several others have shown better results over time but many still trust their Mobil 1. It's certainly not the worst, but its not special. If you really want to know how well the Castrol is working, send in a sample of your used oil for analysis at your next oil change. That's where fact is separated from fiction.

Last edited by Black Betty; 07-23-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Mobil 1 has many hardcore fans that like to think its the best available. I used to be one if them. Until I learned that different oils perform differently in different engines. It's not the vest in our VHR motors. Several others have shown better results over time but many still trust their Mobil 1. It's certainly not the worst, but its not special. If you really want to know how well the Castrol is working, send in a sample of your used oil for analysis at your next oil change. That's where fact is separated from fiction.
My best UOA have been w/ Pennzoil Platinum, although none of my UOAs have been alarming and I've done it w/ Mobil1 and Castrol Edge too.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by blnewt
My best UOA have been w/ Pennzoil Platinum, although none of my UOAs have been alarming and I've done it w/ Mobil1 and Castrol Edge too.
All 3 tested in the exact same engine. Perfect! Rank the 3 UOA results please.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
All 3 tested in the exact same engine. Perfect! Rank the 3 UOA results please.
Sry Matt, the other 2 were done on my 07 G35
I don't know how to post the UOAs but here's my "summary" on PP done at 6k OCI.
BRAD: It's a very nice first report for your G37. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of
engine after about 4,900 miles on the oil. You ran a bit longer than that, but the engine didn't mind. A couple
wear metals are higher than averages, but an extra two or three parts per million aren't anything to worry
about. The Pennzoil 5W/20 got the job done. No fuel or coolant showed up and the oil and air filters kept
silicon and insolubles at a minimum. At this rate, your engine should be around for a long time to come.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
Mobil 1 has many hardcore fans that like to think its the best available. I used to be one of them. Until I learned that different oils perform differently in different engines. It's not the best in our VHR motors. Several others have shown better results over time but many still trust their Mobil 1. It's certainly not the worst, but its not special. If you really want to know how well the Castrol is working, send in a sample of your used oil for analysis at your next oil change. That's where fact is separated from fiction.
I think you mean that's where fact is separated from friction.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sry Matt, the other 2 were done on my 07 G35
I don't know how to post the UOAs but here's my "summary" on PP done at 6k OCI.
BRAD: It's a very nice first report for your G37. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of
engine after about 4,900 miles on the oil. You ran a bit longer than that, but the engine didn't mind. A couple
wear metals are higher than averages, but an extra two or three parts per million aren't anything to worry
about. The Pennzoil 5W/20 got the job done. No fuel or coolant showed up and the oil and air filters kept
silicon and insolubles at a minimum. At this rate, your engine should be around for a long time to come.
Create free photobucket account. Upload your UOAs to photobucket. Copy the IMG codes provided. Paste IMG codes in your post. You have just shared the information with the community. the HR engine is pretty darn close to ours overall and can still be a great guideline on how an oil will perform in ours though not exactly.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think you mean that's where fact is separated from friction.
There you go with the witty turn of phrase. Good job. A+.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I recently switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and also got more valve train noise. I've got one more oil change worth of mobile 1 in the garage and I'll be switching to Penzoil Platinum after that. It's a shame because Costco only carries Mobil 1 and I used to stock up on it when they had a rebate for a great price. In my previous car (Toyota Tundra 5.7L), I also noticed the Mobil 1 made the valvetrain louder as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Lokosis
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Black Betty, how many miles do you do per OCI?

I just put in PP last month and am thinking of going 7500 miles on it. Too much?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Personally I have been running a 7500 mile OCI using Penzoil Ultra with good results. I ran one OCI with over 9k and it was still good. I think it's posted in the UOA thread. Platinum and Ultra are not the same but probably will have pretty similar results. YMMV.

I may shorten it drastically once my turbo is installed. I'm not sure how much yet, still researching that.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^ how are your driving habits when you run PU in your car?