Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM Performance Engineering: GTM TD05 16G Test Results 91 Octane 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by harbin9er
omg...

interested in getting a GTM turbo kit sometime soon. What are the differences between this new kit and the previous kits that you guys released?
Originally Posted by Black Betty
So with this setup simply removing the exhaust past the test pipes added 101 HP and 27 TQ at 10 psi?
Any chance someone from GTM could answer the above questions?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Mike at GTM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cribbsjy
Any chance someone from GTM could answer the above questions?

Sure.

The new kit allows you to retain the crash bar by using a pair of smaller intercoolers and uses a pair of MHI journal bearing turbos instead of the Garret Ball Bearing Turbos.

As far as making so much more horsepower, its really simple. Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. For a given torque level, the higher the rpm, the higher the horsepower. Since horsepower has a time component and airflow also has a time component, then by flowing more air, more horsepower is made. Basic physics.

So, by removing the restriction in the exhaust, it allows for more airflow and therefore more horsepower.

Someone asked earlier why it made more torque with a restricted exhaust. With a restricted exhaust, exhaust gas velocity is higher. High exhaust gas velocity is a good thing...to a point. As a gas's velocity approaches the speed of sound, it goes from an incompressible fluid to compressible. Compressing a gas requires work. Torque is a way to measure work and that's why the torque falls off so hard at higher rpm. The work required to compress the exhaust gas is basically eating up the torque that the engine is trying to make.

By using the test pipes and unrestricted exhaust, exhaust gas velocity isn't quite as high, but more air can flow through the system for a given velocity. Not quite basic physics to explain that...more fluid mechanics required.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM
wattles
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Update on the IPL TT setup.

I got the car back from Sam last week with the new exhaust (Fast intentions).

[/IMG]

The car is like a rocket!
The valve body upgrade made the shifts much more pronounced, but not neck breaking.
I spin the tires in 2nd at 6k RPM. What a blast it is!
The Dyno is with test pipes and 11psi.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM
rcebowl
Registered Member

that car must be retarded awesome
Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Pretty damn sick! I vote for videos! Go-Pro, DSLR, or even mobile phone. Videos!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM
devious1

Any word on price yet?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Viper62382

I dont understand how exhaust produced so much more power, and also, how is this turbo kit different compared to the other kits? Is this better, or just cheaper stuff?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:23 PM
NyLiGHTz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@viper Correct me if I'm wrong but basically tubro draws power from exhaust so better exhaust more power.

Also interested in price of kit. You guys should update the kits on ur site for power packages.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Viper62382
I dont understand how exhaust produced so much more power, and also, how is this turbo kit different compared to the other kits? Is this better, or just cheaper stuff?
I'm told by Sam that the kit is a lower overall upside kit. I have 16g turbos which spools faster and therefore works well with a lower boost application.
The TD06 turbos are less expensive too. If I am not mistaken, they have internal wastegates, making the overall cost less as well.

As far as the exhaust, if you look at the 3 dynos in the beginning of the post you will see what happens when the original IPL exhaust & cats are removed. This is the reason I upgraded my exhaust to the 2.5'' fast intention exhaust.
I'll post pics and possibly a video soon!
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely in for updates. Interested on the cost for this!
Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
supadice

Will this work on AWD
Old 08-31-2012, 03:57 PM
wattles
Registered Member

Update:
I know I've seen the question around. I'm not sure where so I thought I would post my fuel mileage

First tank on 91 octane
15 Mpg
This was while playing with the new car quite a bit. I have been using the car to commute to work. I don't drive ***** out all the time but take the opportunity to floor it when I can
The computer thinks I'm getting about 22mpg. Sam told me it was. Because of the change in injectors which messes up the internal calculation.

I'm running LO boost of about 8psi (with some spikes up to 9-10) and HI boost of about 10 (some spikes to 11-12).
This is what was set by GTM. I'm tinkering with gain and p-gain to try and eliminate the spikes, but honestly don't fully understand the gain & p-gain on my Blitz SBC Type-R controller.

Additionally, I am having a windshield wiper resevior Made to replace the one that had to come out due to the TT installation. The resevior will be black (powder coated) like the intake pipes.
I'm excited to see that.
I'll do a vid or two this weekend.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Viper62382

SO since its cheaper because of the internal wastegates on the turbos, if I wanted to external wastegates, would the rest of the kit be the same, or is this just a whole new setup?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 PM
devious1

Yeah that's all nice info to know, but why hasn't anyone chimed in to answer the most asked question of this whole thread...

HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO COST????
Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 PM
john91

^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering: GTM TD05 16G Test Results 91 Octane 7AT