Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Tansmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
CHIBSG37XS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tansmission issue

Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. Last week I bought a 09 G37Xs with 10 miles on it. It had been at the dealer for about 2 months. Got a good deal and bough it. Last night I was driving and whenever i slowed down to a stop light when the car would down**** it would jerk. Also when accelerating the car would jerk (not smooth shifing) when upshifting and it didnt seem to want to go past third gear. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the car for a couple minutes and started it back up and everything was normal. Is this something that I should be concerned about? If it happens again I am bringing it into the dealer. I talked to my sales advisor and he said that possibly the car is getting useto my driving style and I am going easy on it till break in. Also I was low on gas and he said that could have been an issue with a new car and all (call BS on that). Any help would be great. THANKS!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:24 PM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CHIBSB37XS, I feel your pain. There are several posts on this subject if you do
a search. I don't know if you'll find any useful info', but you won't feel so alone.

I had similar issues when my car was new. I quickly discovered that there
was a TSB for a transmission "reflash" that the delivering dealer did not
accomplish before selling me the car...I was mad as heck that the car
was delivered to me without the fix being accomplished...plus it was
severely out of allignment.

Even after the "fix", I personally find the 7at a very quirky and unrefined
transmission compared to my previous Infiniti's, my Mercedes, and BMW
auto's I've owned and driven....Everytime I think I've seen it do just about every
little quirky thing it could possibly do...sure enough it does something
new and quirkier...I'm batting 1000. I'm betting Infiniti is working
overtime for solutions before there are alot of the new M's produced.
Owners of $50K plus cars won't be so tollerant. Good Luck
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM
ProTan

I have the 7at and love it. Yea its a little quirky cars got so many gears to choose from that sometimes you get a jerk here and there. I havent found it to be an issue in the slightest. This is a performance car not a buick.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:36 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I have one of the first 09 G37s delivered to North America. I haven't had any issues with my 7AT. I really like it, it's smooth when you want it to be and firm when it needs to be.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by ProTan
I have the 7at and love it. Yea its a little quirky cars got so many gears to choose from that sometimes you get a jerk here and there. I havent found it to be an issue in the slightest. This is a performance car not a buick.
That's funny, and you are right...it's not a buick, it's an entry
level luxuary car with a transmission that doesn't match the
response, smoothness, driveablity or overall performance of
it's competition.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
328HP

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
it's competition.
I think there are those with a problem with this issue, others don't. Start a poll and see how it plays out. I had an IS250, moved to a G35, then a '10 G37 and all transmissions have been smooth. In fact after the change from IS250 to G35 I was suprised at how much bull there is out there about Lexus being this and that. The G35 was far superior in all things other than engine quiteness and ventilated seats. Anything else you can put on the list, the G35 was superior. Basically G37>G35>>>>>IS250

In short, dont worry about the transmission, the problems you describe appear to me like the exception and not the norm.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I experience what the OP is saying usually under 2 conditions:

1) When I'm driving the car cold and the engine is warm but the transmission isn't.

2) When I drive hard in DS and then move the gate back to D and drive smoothly. I think this one occurs because the transmission "thinks" that I want to drive aggressively but I don't, so it shifts funny and whatnot.

I also think this problem is annoying as hell. It would be easily solved if there were less gears (6 is a good number) or if Infiniti used a dual-clutch system to make shifts faster. With 7 gears, the car is constantly shifting, especially in slow traffic (10-40mph). Since gears 1 and 2 are so close and 3 and 4 have funny timings. IMO, if a car needs to shift this much, it better do it quickly so I can be on the throttle as soon as possible.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 PM
ProTan

Originally Posted by JonfromCB
it's competition.

Not sure how many 7 speed automatics with paddle shifters you have owned but Lets agree to disagree. I cannot find a single flaw in the transmission what so ever. In fact I think its amazing! Had S4, and m3
Old 02-06-2010, 09:08 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my mpg is sad i just leave it in DS now... no real issues there! =P if i'm going to get 17mpg i might as well go fast at the same time.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
hawkeye98

Originally Posted by crazjayz
...It would be easily solved if there were less gears (6 is a good number) or if Infiniti used a dual-clutch system to make shifts faster. With 7 gears, the car is constantly shifting, especially in slow traffic (10-40mph). Since gears 1 and 2 are so close and 3 and 4 have funny timings. IMO, if a car needs to shift this much, it better do it quickly so I can be on the throttle as soon as possible.
^+1 - I wondered the same thing last week...why didn't Infiniti use the dual-clutch system? Afterall, Nissan is already using dual-clutch technology. I got around the quirky shifting during the break-in period by using the paddle shifters 80% of the time.

I found my G was shifting smoother after about 1,500 miles...I think there is some truth to what the dealer said about the car requiring some time to learn your habits. I did however throw in a Stillen CAI at 2,000 miles, reflashed the ECU, and immediately started driving the car hard ("re-taught" the car to be more aggressive) so now the car holds on to the lower gears longer in both DS and D mode...it's great!
Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Just get the reflash of the transmission code and see if that will resolve your issues. There are long posts on this issue, and the upgraded flash is very good and will most likely resolve your problems. Not exactly sure why all the comparisons to all other cars that everyone has owned needs to be taken into account here since all of us made the decision to buy and Infiniti.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Redfox

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Early, middle or late production manufacturing dates?

JohnEnglish's reply has got me wondering - just what month in any given model year does new production begin? For instance - according to my door sticker, my 2009 G-37 sedan was manufactured in 08 of '08. Were the very first 2009 models assembled in June of 2008? July? The reason for asking is that often times this forum discloses a condition or problem that pertains only to "early or late or middle production" vehicles.
Does anyone know what the breakdown for these designations are? Incidently, I have not experienced any of the rough downshifting problems either.
Thanks.

Last edited by Redfox; 02-07-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
KLB

Historically, the US manufacturers did their model year change-over in July. I would guess that the Japanese probably follow suit. That would make late July into August the first of the model year.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM
JonfromCB

Originally Posted by ProTan
Not sure how many 7 speed automatics with paddle shifters you have owned but Lets agree to disagree. I cannot find a single flaw in the transmission what so ever. In fact I think its amazing! Had S4, and m3
PROTAN, I'm not offended at all. I'm critical of all my machines
in relationship to my friends cars, what I've owned and what
I'm lookiing to get next...no more, no less.

I rarely drive in "paddle mode" I drive hard at times, but the
car is in full auto mode 98% of the time and it's just
not very refined with it's jerky shifts, hunting for gears
and inconsistent downshifts points.. It sounds like you drive in
"semi auto" mode using the paddles. That's
completely different than letting the transmission
do it all. If you leave your car in "full auto
mode" for a week or so, I'd bet you'd agree with me.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
ProTan

You may be right, I use the shifters alot.. i will report back after a few days of auto driving...

Quick Reply: Tansmission issue