Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Tansmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
my mpg is sad i just leave it in DS now... no real issues there! =P if i'm going to get 17mpg i might as well go fast at the same time.
Hopefully that's mainly city driving, that would be sad for a lot of hwy cruising. I get about 19-20 city but 28-29 hwy, and that's w/ heavier 20" rims/tires.

I too have a few trans issues, none related to going up through the gears (in fact I find the upshifting in the 7at to be very good and right where the rpms should be for performance driving). Coasting from 30 mph toward a stoplight or trafffic does tend to be a bit clunky. I noticed this much more as we broke the car in. After 7k miles it doesn't seem nearly as noticeable, but still tends to "overhunt" when slowing from 30.

I wouldn't go so far as calling it unrefined, but one requiring a subtle tweak or two.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
I also think this problem is annoying as hell.
I've seen my G do a funny shift quite a few times. I had the flash applied and it helped considerably. Still, occasionally I've seen it over-rev the engine by letting off the gas just before a shift point, I think it's 4th to 5th, or thereabouts - if I back off the throttle a bit from a moderate acceleration, just before the shift, it will pop out of gear and rev up about 500 RPM's higher, then the RPM's drop as it pops into the next gear.

I described all this to the dealer and they test drove it - "can't repeat the problem - all is good".

There are quirky things; like it running at 2,000 RPM at 30 MPH, but it drops to 1,500 at about 33 MPH with a gear change. And I agree the difference between 6th and 7th should be more... the engine seems to run too high of an RPM when at highway speeds in 7th.

Nontheless, I love the G and enjoy driving it any chance I get. 30+ MPG on the highway, and yes it will go 120 MPH with little effort.

Last edited by TinsleyC; 02-08-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 02-08-2010, 11:55 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Shoot, it will go 130-140 with just a little more effort. Note that these speeds were all attained on highways in [south africa]. I would never break the law on a US highway.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
uhmeebuh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time caller, long time listener

I jsut picked up my 2010 G37 and I'm having the same problem - the shifting is erratic and not very smooth. I notice it most when sitting in stop and go traffic as the tranny hunts for gears with my varying throttle application.

It does better in more open driving but it needs to be a bit "smarter" with the shift logic vs throttle positioning. And, yes, I know it's much more complex than that.

I bought my car on Sunday (2 days ago) so there's a fair chance they didn't do the TSB on the tranny (or any other TSB for that matter) as service was closed. Will be back on Sat to see if the dealer can do anything...
Old 02-09-2010, 10:21 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Shoot, it will go 130-140 with just a little more effort. Note that these speeds were all attained on highways in [south africa]. I would never break the law on a US highway.
Well, of course not.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 PM
CHIBSG37XS

I talked to the service manager and he said that if I wanted to do the reflash, the car will be less "aggressive" and shift earlier than without the reflash. He also said that if I get it done, there is no going back. I have not had rough downshifting ever since I posted this thread, but if it happens again, I am going to get the reflash.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by uhmeebuh
First time caller, long time listener

I jsut picked up my 2010 G37 and I'm having the same problem - the shifting is erratic and not very smooth. I notice it most when sitting in stop and go traffic as the tranny hunts for gears with my varying throttle application.

It does better in more open driving but it needs to be a bit "smarter" with the shift logic vs throttle positioning. And, yes, I know it's much more complex than that.

I bought my car on Sunday (2 days ago) so there's a fair chance they didn't do the TSB on the tranny (or any other TSB for that matter) as service was closed. Will be back on Sat to see if the dealer can do anything...
The 2010s already have the most current trans software. Since you've only had the car 2 days (congrats on the new G BTW) your tranny response should improve as it keys in on your driving tendencies.

Originally Posted by CHIBSG37XS
I talked to the service manager and he said that if I wanted to do the reflash, the car will be less "aggressive" and shift earlier than without the reflash. He also said that if I get it done, there is no going back. I have not had rough downshifting ever since I posted this thread, but if it happens again, I am going to get the reflash.
Heard the reflash also decreases your gas mileage. At first I thought the trans was a bit chaotic, but nothing about it really bothers me anymore. I think I'll just let it be unless they come up w/ an even better TSB w/ no mpg compromises.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:11 AM
uhmeebuh

Originally Posted by blnewt
The 2010s already have the most current trans software. Since you've only had the car 2 days (congrats on the new G BTW) your tranny response should improve as it keys in on your driving tendencies.
Ahh - good to know! I talked with the service manager today and he couldn't identify whether my car had the TSB applied which seemed a bit strange. I made an appt for Sat but I'll just cancel it based on your info (which is MUCH more helpful than the dealer has been so far).

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
I experience what the OP is saying usually under 2 conditions:

1) When I'm driving the car cold and the engine is warm but the transmission isn't.

2) When I drive hard in DS and then move the gate back to D and drive smoothly. I think this one occurs because the transmission "thinks" that I want to drive aggressively but I don't, so it shifts funny and whatnot.
exactly.
if you drive aggressively for a while and then go back to driving normally again, the transmission will need time to relearn your recent driving style. Just drive around for a short while and it will become better.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
328HP

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I've seen my G do a funny shift quite a few times. I had the flash applied and it helped considerably. Still, occasionally I've seen it over-rev the engine by letting off the gas just before a shift point, I think it's 4th to 5th, or thereabouts - if I back off the throttle a bit from a moderate acceleration, just before the shift, it will pop out of gear and rev up about 500 RPM's higher, then the RPM's drop as it pops into the next gear.

I described all this to the dealer and they test drove it - "can't repeat the problem - all is good".

There are quirky things; like it running at 2,000 RPM at 30 MPH, but it drops to 1,500 at about 33 MPH with a gear change. And I agree the difference between 6th and 7th should be more... the engine seems to run too high of an RPM when at highway speeds in 7th.

Nontheless, I love the G and enjoy driving it any chance I get. 30+ MPG on the highway, and yes it will go 120 MPH with little effort.
Thats interesting, I have a 2010 and its been silky smooth. My RPM are always less than 2500 at H/way speeds even if I go 10-15mph over the speed limit. Since I am in the breaking in period I have been trying to get the engine to rev outside the 2-2500RPM zone at H/Way speeds and the only way to do it legally without doing +20mph over the speed limit is to throw it in DS mode, where 3000RPM @ 60mph is common.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
blindman8858

If you just bought the car you are still in your break in period. I bought my 09 g37s coupe 7AT and in the beginning the shifts were jerky. I have nearly 1600 miles on the car and things are a lot smoother now. Let your car break in and then report back. The ecu is also going through a learning phase to pick up on your driving habits.

Nevertheless, even though things are smoother for me, I am going to take it in to the dealer when my first service is due and assure I have the most up to date firmware.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:54 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have gotten so used to the 7at and truly have grown to love it as well -- the first few weeks bugged me .. but it has learned my driving style and I much prefer it to my '08 G 5AT...
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 AM
ray combs

Originally Posted by CHIBSG37XS
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. Last week I bought a 09 G37Xs with 10 miles on it. It had been at the dealer for about 2 months. Got a good deal and bough it. Last night I was driving and whenever i slowed down to a stop light when the car would down**** it would jerk. Also when accelerating the car would jerk (not smooth shifing) when upshifting and it didnt seem to want to go past third gear. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned off the car for a couple minutes and started it back up and everything was normal. Is this something that I should be concerned about? If it happens again I am bringing it into the dealer. I talked to my sales advisor and he said that possibly the car is getting useto my driving style and I am going easy on it till break in. Also I was low on gas and he said that could have been an issue with a new car and all (call BS on that). Any help would be great. THANKS!
Bingo, we have the same problem. Shortly after we purchased our G37 sedan, about 3000 on the odometer, the car began to chug at about 2500 rpms. We pulled over, and at the suggestion of my son in law, we turned off the ignition, waited about a minute, and started it again. It drove fine but we took it to two Infiniti dealerships who ran diagnostics and said they could find nothing wrong. They gave us the same response you received, that the gas was bad or the car had not yet become used to our driving. Well, it just happened again at 13,000 miles. We don't know what to do as we get no sympathy from the dealerships. Its almost as if they think we are making it up. We do love the car, but this is getting scary.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
ray combs

I don't know if I'm doing this right but here it is again.

Bingo, we have the same problem. Shortly after we purchased our G37 sedan, about 3000 on the odometer, the car began to chug at about 2500 rpms. We pulled over, and at the suggestion of my son in law, we turned off the ignition, waited about a minute, and started it again. It drove fine but we took it to two Infiniti dealerships who ran diagnostics and said they could find nothing wrong. They gave us the same response you received, that the gas was bad or the car had not yet become used to our driving. Well, it just happened again at 13,000 miles. We don't know what to do as we get no sympathy from the dealerships. Its almost as if they think we are making it up. We do love the car, but this is getting scary.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Canadian144

Originally Posted by 328HP
I had an IS250, moved to a G35, then a '10 G37 and all transmissions have been smooth. In fact after the change from IS250 to G35 I was suprised at how much bull there is out there about Lexus being this and that. The G35 was far superior in all things other than engine quiteness and ventilated seats. Anything else you can put on the list, the G35 was superior. Basically G37>G35>>>>>IS250
Similar story here... 03 Mercedes Benz C320 --> 2007 G35x --> 2009 G37x coupe.

The 07 G was far superior to the C320 in performance as well as comfort and luxury. We paid $74,000 for the C320 back in 03 (Canadian $$ prices), and when it had 50k km on it in 07 the best trade in we could get from the Benz dealer was $16,000 (got it up from $14,000!). Infiniti offered us $23,000 and we paid $54,000 (before trade) for a fully loaded G instead of a Mercedes E350 4matic sport for $90,000. We had only 1 problem with the G35x, the sunroof gears broke or something, the WHOLE sunroof was replaced under warranty.... the Benz on the other hand.... catalytic converter, electronic this or that, etc etc.

Quick Reply: Tansmission issue