Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Do G37's have manifold vacuum with VVEL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:07 PM
digitalis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do G37's have manifold vacuum with VVEL?

I have been reading about G37's while I wait for my new Slate Blue 6MT to be delivered to the dealer and I have a question about VVEL.

As I understand it the G37 does not have a throttle valve and instead controls engine output by using the VVEL system to control the lift and duration of the intake valves.

http://www.g37-tech.com/wiki/VVEL

Did I get this right? If so, with no throttle valve, does the G37 have manifold vacuum?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalis
I have been reading about G37's while I wait for my new Slate Blue 6MT to be delivered to the dealer and I have a question about VVEL.

As I understand it the G37 does not have a throttle valve and instead controls engine output by using the VVEL system to control the lift and duration of the intake valves.

http://www.g37-tech.com/wiki/VVEL

Did I get this right? If so, with no throttle valve, does the G37 have manifold vacuum?
There is still vacuum. In general you are correct. Vacuum is not typically created by the throttle bodies per se. It basically uses the intake valve controls to control throttle (VVEL), but can still use the throttle bodies under certain conditions for what is called "brake booster vacuum control" and for traction control purposes.

This site lacks any serious technical information. I would highly recommend another site for technical information. I am not sure if I am supposed to do this, but I would recommend www.370z.com as the best site for technical information. You will learn more on there in 5 minutes than you would on here in 2 weeks.... Here is a link to a great article that talks about the above subject. I basically ripped off my answer from Mike Kojima (the man behind the site). Link: http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...e-VQ37VHR.aspx

The answer to your question is on the 2nd page of that article. I have to say the VVEL system in our cars is pretty amazing. I was always told it was like VTEC, etc., but it really is a industry changing concept. It also is what requires us to run the Ester based oil, and pay $100+ for an oil change....