Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Oil question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:38 PM
jasonviper

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine Oil question.

I was checking my oil level and was just wondering to if its normal to smell gasoline in the oil?? The oil level was actually still topped off after 3 months and the engine hadnt been on for at least 12 hours whem I checked it.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Tony D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if thats normal or not but i do know that infiniti has transferred over to a new type of oil call "ester oil." not sure exactly what the purpose of the change is other than it being better for the engine but i do kno it is a synthetic oil and it is alot more expensive if it does happen to be your oil, bring it in to infiniti and they should give you a free oil change as long as your car is still under warranty.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Jason, a gasoline smell in your oil isn't good. Take it in to be checked by the dealer.

Tony - ester oil is NOT synthetic. Do a search on the topic as there is a ton of info here on what it is and what it does and doesn't do.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Tony D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...i was told that it was synthetic from infiniti. maybe they were just trying to avoid getting all scientific and technical on me lol. i do know its expensive tho! thanks for the heads up tho, much appreciated
Old 07-13-2009, 12:07 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
^ its not a full synthetic. there are oils like mobil1 and penzoil that are 100% full synthetic and you can also buy oils (like nissan ester oil) that is partially synthetic.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 AM
jasonviper

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Jason, a gasoline smell in your oil isn't good. Take it in to be checked by the dealer.

Tony - ester oil is NOT synthetic. Do a search on the topic as there is a ton of info here on what it is and what it does and doesn't do.
What do you think it could be?? I didnt think it was normal. I really only use shell v-power and Exxon gas.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by jasonviper
What do you think it could be?? I didnt think it was normal. I really only use shell v-power and Exxon gas.
It has nothing to do with the brand of gas you buy, that is inconsequential. You should take it in ASAP and have them tell you why. It could be a number of different causes. Do you take mostly short trips? Do you let your engine warm up completely before driving away or just start up and dash? It could be those factors or much more serious issues like blowby past your rings (I hope not). Take it in and find out is the only way to know for sure. Then let us know.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM
jasonviper

Originally Posted by Black Betty
It has nothing to do with the brand of gas you buy, that is inconsequential. You should take it in ASAP and have them tell you why. It could be a number of different causes. Do you take mostly short trips? Do you let your engine warm up completely before driving away or just start up and dash? It could be those factors or much more serious issues like blowby past your rings (I hope not). Take it in and find out is the only way to know for sure. Then let us know.
I was not able to take the car in today due to my work schedule, I did drive the car and I dont notice any engine problems while driving. I drive 90% highway about 20 min so I dont consider that a short trip and I usually let the car run 45sec - 1min before putting the car in gear in the morning but I live in south Texas where it has been 82 in the morning and 105 in the afternoons.

What would those 2 things have to do with it tho? I mean considering this is a new car, we're not talking about some high mileage vehicle here, in fact one that has only had 2 oil changes. I'm going to check the oil again when it cools down. My Dad was asking me if the oil seemed thinner, I never really thought about it but it did seem kinda of thin when I remembered that the engine had not been turned on in over 24 hrs and was cold.

Thanks again for your help,
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Best to take it in to a certified professional in person who can examine your car and give you facts based on what he observes instead of letting a shade tree mechanic give you a "could be" diagnosis over the internet.

I hope it's minor.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
jasonviper

Yeah me to^
Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any update???
Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 AM
jasonviper

I took it by the dealership yesterday and all he did was smell the oil like I did but he said he didnt smell anything! I also smelled it and I have to admit I really didnt smell anything this time but it was 104 outside and the engine was of course HOT when I got it home and waited til it cooled down I could smell the gas again in the oil. I have a oil change due next month sometime and I am going to demand that they analyze the oil!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ester has a different smell, maybe that is what it was....

The ester and "nano-particles" that are added to the oil are synthetic, but the oil itself is petroleum based.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

When your engine is cool and you can smell the gasoline, take a sample and send it in for UOA.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See, the reason I ask is because I noticed the exact same thing. But all engine oil will have a slight scent of fuel to it. If you have another vehicle, go sniff that dipstick and you'll notice a hint of fuel to the oil. My jeep has the exact same strength of fuel scent to the oil. Now, if your oil smells like you're sticking your nose in a gas tank, THEN you've got a problem as Black Betty mention aboved.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil question.