Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Right. The 3-point brace requires some finesse. The 4-point brace is a simple bolt-on.

At least, that's the talk. We'll find out over the next few weeks as people get their orders and do their installs.

Dude... in the span of one day, 16 people signed up for the group buy. That's pretty cool, and in no small part due to your review.
People actually listen to me? That's cool. I wish I could be a part of the group buy. Doh! I also put up a review on the Z1 site so maybe they will sell a bunch of these too.

Originally Posted by Jee37
Hi guys,

I commented on the group buy thread but wanted to know what I'm looking for in terms of feel when/if I buy this. I drive an xS coupe 7AT so would benefits if any would I gain and how would I feel this changes? I know the power lag is due to the computer system but where in my driving will I see the most benefits?

Best regards!
Just read my initial post. It should tell you everything you need to know.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
People actually listen to me? That's cool. I wish I could be a part of the group buy. Doh! I also put up a review on the Z1 site so maybe they will sell a bunch of these too.

Just read my initial post. It should tell you everything you need to know.
Understandable! Haha do you still think there is some movement in the rear differential? I know those parts are meant to move somewhat instead of having a rigid mount to keep it from moving at all. Wouldn't long term issues but excess force on those components?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
People actually listen to me? That's cool.
Probably more often than you'd think, and only when they agree with you, insofar as you know.

I don't mind saying that I'm pretty jazzed up to get this. It's going into my humble bucket of springtime projects.

BTW, after tonight I'm going to close the GB thread, and link the first & last comments here for people to collect their reviews.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jee37
Understandable! Haha do you still think there is some movement in the rear differential? I know those parts are meant to move somewhat instead of having a rigid mount to keep it from moving at all. Wouldn't long term issues but excess force on those components?
They stock bushings are soft to eliminate NVH not to increase movement. If you have a stock exhaust you may notice some NVH. If not, you will probably notice a much more planted rear end and better power delivery.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Probably more often than you'd think, and only when they agree with you, insofar as you know.

I don't mind saying that I'm pretty jazzed up to get this. It's going into my humble bucket of springtime projects.

BTW, after tonight I'm going to close the GB thread, and link the first & last comments here for people to collect their reviews.
No bubbles to burst here. I just hope the 4 point brace makes as big a difference for you guys as I noticed with my 3 point brace. If you like it, just know that the motor mounts make a very similar feeling upgrade to the front of the car. Both parts together really firm up the driveline and make the car a lot more precise and fun to drive.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

They stock bushings are soft to eliminate NVH not to increase movement. If you have a stock exhaust you may notice some NVH. If not, you will probably notice a much more planted rear end and better power delivery.
You know what I'm worried about here? Resonance. I love the poly transmission mount, but there's a sweet spot of not-so-sweet resonance occasionally when letting the engine slow the car at a high rev. It doesn't happen all the time, and I'm used to tweaking speed and throttle to avoid it when it happens. But it does happen.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You know what I'm worried about here? Resonance. I love the poly transmission mount, but there's a sweet spot of not-so-sweet resonance occasionally when letting the engine slow the car at a high rev. It doesn't happen all the time, and I'm used to tweaking speed and throttle to avoid it when it happens. But it does happen.
I do not have the same problem, but I notice a similar thing happening when decelerating as I feel the gears in the rear differential bind ever so slightly with the gearing in the transmission. It is a weird and rare occurrence and probably why they never put these gears in at the factory.

To your point, I really did not notice any more NVH and I was totally expecting some. I am sure there is some added NVH, but my car is louder and already vibrates so I don't notice anything different.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:59 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
No additional resonance or NVH with mine. The brace definitely helps the car hook hard in just about any scenario. It was 26 degrees this morning when I left for work. Once the car warmed up I gave it the beans and it had no problem hooking on the cold road; just squatted and screamed. Took a couple turns while pressing the throttle pretty aggressively and there was no slip or spinning; even with the TC turned on. The brace really seems to let you go all out whenever you feel like it. For $100-150 it's a solid mod. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say this does for traction and hooking what sway bars did for body roll and under steer for my AWD.

Very excited for when summer tires go on the car.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Well, just saw the group buy and spent $100 I didn't intend to spend today. Anyways, I'll see how it adds to my car as well, since mine is higher mileage, tracked, has urethane diff bushings and Z1 collars. Just needs trans and motor mounts to fully lock down the drivetrain...
Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
No additional resonance or NVH with mine. The brace definitely helps the car hook hard in just about any scenario. It was 26 degrees this morning when I left for work. Once the car warmed up I gave it the beans and it had no problem hooking on the cold road; just squatted and screamed. Took a couple turns while pressing the throttle pretty aggressively and there was no slip or spinning; even with the TC turned on. The brace really seems to let you go all out whenever you feel like it. For $100-150 it's a solid mod. If I had to compare it to something, I'd say this does for traction and hooking what sway bars did for body roll and under steer for my AWD.

Very excited for when summer tires go on the car.
Glad to hear you like the product too. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Originally Posted by bPChaos
Well, just saw the group buy and spent $100 I didn't intend to spend today. Anyways, I'll see how it adds to my car as well, since mine is higher mileage, tracked, has urethane diff bushings and Z1 collars. Just needs trans and motor mounts to fully lock down the drivetrain...
I would say that is a pretty good plan with the trans and motor mounts. I love my car set up that way.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:27 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I do, I have the Top Speed Y-Back and just installed an unknown aftermarket Y pipe that I'll post a review of once I've tested it out (waiting overnight for the RTV red to dry). No additional vibrations to report at this time.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Guys, I've closed the Group Buy thread, and am asking people to collect your comments here. Apparently Bell Raceworks received 18 orders on the promo code set up for this event, which is exactly the number of members who stepped up. Nicely done, everyone.

And 4DRZ, I've tweaked your original post to cross-reference the group-buy thread, including links to the Bell Raceworks website. Thanks for getting this going, buddy.

With nearly 20 people coming into this mod from myG37.com, I'm expecting a number of members will share their experiences up and down this modification. From the purchase through the Bell Raceworks website, the turn-around and packaging, the first impressions on the part itself and the powder-coating. But most importantly, the driving impressions. Personally, I think this brace has the potential to be the best bang-4-buck mod to the car. That's a pretty high bar (no pun), sight unseen, but 4DRZ gave a very encouraging review.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-12-2019 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:37 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

And 4DRZ, I've tweaked your original post to cross-reference the group-buy thread, including links to the Bell Raceworks website. Thanks for getting this going, buddy.
Clearly you've let the newfound authority of becoming a moderator go straight to your head.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Clearly you've let the newfound authority of becoming a moderator go straight to your head.
Indeed, I've become a monster. Roar.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Just got my tracking number!

Quick Reply: Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace