Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace

Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Yes. The rear end is very floppy stock due to soft rubber bushings in and around the rear subframe. And while the urethane bushings do a lot to eradicate this floppiness, there is still some movement. See this Z1 video
of stock vs urethane bushings on the diff and subframe of a 370Z. Even after urethane, you can see the diff wiggle about with throttle changes. This brace will remove most of the remaining flop, leaving only suspension inputs to cause the subframe to wiggle around the subframe mounts.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 01-09-2019 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,569 Likes on 3,422 Posts
I have a pair of Z1 polyurethane motor mounts sitting in the corner of my office, waiting for an April 2019 install. Now I have the dilemma whether or not to have this brace mounted at the same time, or to split the mod installs.

On the one hand, doing them both at the same time is a single shop visit, and guarantees maximum smiles all at once.

On the other hand, doing them separately let's me assess the value of each.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:12 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Took a chance and ordered the brace offered by Z1 yesterday (same one 4DRZ got). Should arrive tomorrow. When it does, I'll test the fitment on my OEM diff. and verify if it fits or not.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Took a chance and ordered the brace offered by Z1 yesterday (same one 4DRZ got). Should arrive tomorrow. When it does, I'll test the fitment on my OEM diff. and verify if it fits or not.
Ouch. You missed the GB by one day. Bummer.

Either way, looking forward to your comments. G'luck.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Yea...I saw
Old 01-09-2019, 05:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
If you have no power mods (unless you consider HFC's one), is this really all that useful?
Yes, this part takes out a huge amount of slop in the drivetrain and helps you put the power down much better. This part made a much more noticeable difference than all the rear subframe bushing inserts and differential bushings.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I have a pair of Z1 polyurethane motor mounts sitting in the corner of my office, waiting for an April 2019 install. Now I have the dilemma whether or not to have this brace mounted at the same time, or to split the mod installs.

On the one hand, doing them both at the same time is a single shop visit, and guarantees maximum smiles all at once.

On the other hand, doing them separately let's me assess the value of each.
If the mount for the stock differential cover is as easy to install as mine was I would do them separate so you can feel the differences. I noticed virtually no difference for the subframe inserts and rear diff bushings compared to the rear differential brace.

Will that work with the stock differential cover?
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
obsidiansamurai (01-10-2019), Rochester (01-11-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 PM
thezinfan
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm in.Thanks for setting this up.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by thezinfan
I'm in.Thanks for setting this up.
LOL, you're in the wrong thread, Boss. But no worries, I got you.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Will that work with the stock differential cover?
That's what I'm going to find out. You mentioned Jon at Z1 told you it would work with the stock unit so I'm going to put it to the test and find out. Figure, that will take the guessing out of the equation as to which brace to get if plans of a high capacity differential cover is on someone's build sheet.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:22 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I've heard some advantages of this mod, now what are some disadvantages? Also, does anyone have an idea of what a shop would charge to have this installed? Thinking about getting this, but I have to wait a while since I just purchased some FI RHFC's.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:31 AM
thezinfan
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Check out the group buy thread, the manufacturer just posted some info. It is bolt on so you can do it or a shop should be an hour charge i guess. The only disadvantage is there will be more NVH (noise vibration harshness) since there's no slop between the parts now.
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by thezinfan
Check out the group buy thread, the manufacturer just posted some info. It is bolt on so you can do it or a shop should be an hour charge i guess. The only disadvantage is there will be more NVH (noise vibration harshness) since there's no slop between the parts now.
I could see a shop charging an hour of lift time for the 3-point brace, maybe even two if they're really cautious and it's a tight fit. But AFAIK, the 4-point brace is a direct bolt-on, without any complications. In other words, the only point in finding a shop would be lift-access and tools for a 10 minute job with a ratchet. And in other-other-words, the 4-point brace should be an easy DIY.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking when thinking about the install. But I'm going to have plenty of other-people input right here before getting into it, which is cool.

Someone needs to go to the top post and thank the OP for this thread.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
That's what I'm going to find out. You mentioned Jon at Z1 told you it would work with the stock unit so I'm going to put it to the test and find out. Figure, that will take the guessing out of the equation as to which brace to get if plans of a high capacity differential cover is on someone's build sheet.
Well, Jon also told me that I would have to disconnect my differential and move it forward. Fortunately, that was not the case. He did say that the model I have is designed to go around the Z1 diff cover so I guess it should fit.

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
I've heard some advantages of this mod, now what are some disadvantages? Also, does anyone have an idea of what a shop would charge to have this installed? Thinking about getting this, but I have to wait a while since I just purchased some FI RHFC's.
I have yet to notice any disadvantages, but if you have stock exhaust and no tolerance for NVH I have to think it would increase with this mod. My shop charged an hour but it did not take that long and so you should be able to do it by yourself. (Information I wish I knew before the install.)

Originally Posted by Rochester
I could see a shop charging an hour of lift time for the 3-point brace, maybe even two if they're really cautious and it's a tight fit. But AFAIK, the 4-point brace is a direct bolt-on, without any complications. In other words, the only point in finding a shop would be lift-access and tools for a 10 minute job with a ratchet. And in other-other-words, the 4-point brace should be an easy DIY.
So the manufacturer claims that the 4 point brace is an easy DIY job as well?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So the manufacturer claims that the 4 point brace is an easy DIY job as well?
Right. The 3-point brace requires some finesse. The 4-point brace is a simple bolt-on.

At least, that's the talk. We'll find out over the next few weeks as people get their orders and do their installs.

Dude... in the span of one day, 16 people signed up for the group buy. That's pretty cool, and in no small part due to your review.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM
Jee37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi guys,

I commented on the group buy thread but wanted to know what I'm looking for in terms of feel when/if I buy this. I drive an xS coupe 7AT so would benefits if any would I gain and how would I feel this changes? I know the power lag is due to the computer system but where in my driving will I see the most benefits?

Best regards!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace