Drivetrain Reviews of clutches, gear mods, diffs, axles etc..

Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I installed my brace "for finned covers" yesterday....someone else mentioned it earlier, but with the Nismo cover you have to do some grinding cause it definitely won't fit out of the box....it was either the brace or the Nismo cover and the brace is a hardened steel, so I decided to just grind down a couple of the aluminum fins on the Nismo cover (circled below). Using a dremel bit and some cutting oil it was done in about 10 minutes ..the rest of the install took about 10 minutes...Qmantran's suggestion on another thread to use a telescoping magnet on the inner subframe made the install super quick I just tightened the rest of the bolts down by hand and then tightened them up wit ha couple of regular old wrenches

I haven't done much driving just yet but so far the rear end does seem a lot tighter from what I can tell but it is a bit hard to tell if its the brace alone as I recently had new summer tires and lighter wheels put on and did the brakes and I haven't driven the car much in between so it could also be some of those changes affecting my impression

The following users liked this post:
qmantran (05-12-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:58 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
I was able to hold it up with a closed end wrench.

I recorded what I could for my install. Maybe it’ll help anyone else installing it.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:47 AM
jdog78
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I ran into the same issues with my nismo cover. I had to cut into the fins to make it fit. After about 2 months with it on, I notice my diff started to leak a little while I was working on the car doing something else under there. The over all form was off and it didn't seem to sit 100% flat on the diff. I took it off and re-torqued the original bolts. So far so good, no leaks. I am very disappointed in the product and wouldn't recommend installing it. The problem is it's using bolts that hold the diff cover against the sub frame (asking for problems). I did feel the difference with it on, but it's not worth it. I wish I could get my money back on it... If anyone wants it, PM me lol.

Last edited by jdog78; 09-03-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
^^^
That's certainly a negative review.

Anyone here ever get under the car since installed and look for gear oil leaks? I've not seen any drips in my garage, but I've also not put the back end up on ramps and checked it out since.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:56 PM
jdog78
Registered Member

Hey all, it was a small leak (not dripping yet / forming at the bottom of the diff). I caught it really early (thank god). I put a lot of stress on the car, run it on the drag strip 3-6 times a year. BTW the brace didn't cut down my ET or 60 foot either... Here's a pic of it installed with the diff cover modified.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
That's certainly a negative review.

Anyone here ever get under the car since installed and look for gear oil leaks? I've not seen any drips in my garage, but I've also not put the back end up on ramps and checked it out since.
No drip issues with mine, but I have a lot more clearance with the Z1 diff cover than the Nismo cover. That may be part of the issue.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
No drip issues with mine, but I have a lot more clearance with the Z1 diff cover than the Nismo cover. That may be part of the issue.
...and I have the OEM cover with the 4-point brace. But I have to say, pretty curious now to get under the car and check it out.

Say, did you use Never-Seize on your diff cover bolts? When I did mine back in May, I didn't, and it's been gnawing at me ever since.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
interesting, I have the nismo cover too, no issues with leaking so far, I wonder if its because when ppl put in the cover bolts they do it with fresh RTV and when putting in this brace the old bolts with the cured RTV are just taken out and reinserted...as Roch mentioend maybe some thread sealant should be part of the install...or you could pull the cover remove all the old RTV and put in fresh RTV and install the bracket while it cures
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 PM
jdog78
Registered Member

I am pretty sure the reason why mine was leaking was because it wasn't flush against diff cover. I may sand it down a little and try it again when I have time. I should have sent it back when I noticed it...

right side is not flush against the table

Last edited by jdog78; 09-04-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
...and I have the OEM cover with the 4-point brace. But I have to say, pretty curious now to get under the car and check it out.

Say, did you use Never-Seize on your diff cover bolts? When I did mine back in May, I didn't, and it's been gnawing at me ever since.
Nope, just good gasket sealer with the Z1 diff cover.

Originally Posted by jdog78
I am pretty the reason mine was leaking because it wasn't flush against diff cover. I may sand it down a little and try it again when I have time. I should have sent it back when I noticed it.

right side is not flush against the table
I think you found your problem.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 PM
dbl07
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My 4-point diff brace showed up today, bubble-wrapped into a USPS bag, with two sets of bolts and washers, and two nyloc nuts. It was powdercoated black. Seems extremely sturdy. Someone else weigh it... but I'm guessing 2 lbs. My first impression was how it was actually smaller than whatever picture I had in my head.

My second thought was how the heck am I supposed to get a torque wrench against the upper diff cover bolt? The bar itself is in the way. Looking forward to reading installation comments here from other people with the 4-point brace.

[edit]

3 feet of snow has me literally trapped inside my house, and it's 15 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I suspect this will collect dust for a few months. Even if we warm up sometime this winter, I still think the best way to asses this thing is to wait until summer wheels and tires are back on the car.

Here's a pic on the dining room table. Everything has to pass through the dining room table, LOL

Is this a production part? It's no listed as an time for sale on their site. As someone stated earlier, it provides more support due to the additional mounting points. Would it work on a z1 finned rear diff cover?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by dbl07
Is this a production part? It's no listed as an time for sale on their site. As someone stated earlier, it provides more support due to the additional mounting points. Would it work on a z1 finned rear diff cover?
Z1 Motorsports sells this for Bell, painted specifically in Z1 silver, although Bell sells it directly on his website, too. At least, that's how it was this time last year.

The pic you quoted is the 4-point brace for the OEM diff cover. You have to use the 3-point brace for the Z1 diff cover.

Pretty sure all this stuff is right here in this thread, but if you search thread titles for the word "bell" there's all kinds of info.

Here... $30 off list for Cyber Monday. Go for it: https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...e-p-14117.html

Last edited by Rochester; 12-02-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Z1 doesn't list the 4 point anymore.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Z1 doesn't list the 4 point anymore.
That makes some sense, supporting upsell to their diff cover. Particularly since the 3-point brace works with the OEM cover too.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
That makes some sense, supporting upsell to their diff cover. Particularly since the 3-point brace works with the OEM cover too.
Yea I think so. I was looking for the 4 point as i had no plans to do a diff cover. But i guess i have the option should i change my plans. I wonder if bell offers it still?.

Quick Reply: Review Bell Raceworks rear differential brace