D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 02:07 AM
GregUMR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
You should do this whenever you want.. After the break-in, would be a good 1st time, and then I'd do it every 3,000 miles after that. If you want to be OCD about it, every week LOL!

As far as problems are concerned, NO this will NEVER EVER EVER cause any problems.. All this does it reset your cars ECU (air/fuel ratio etc..) which it will immediately re-learn as soon as you start driving again.

For those of you who are waiting for this video... Well I don't know any other way of putting this but now I can't seem to get it to work!! I don't know what im doing wrong but ugh I'll get it eventually with the cam in my hand. Sorry!
That seems so ate up. Why would they make an ECU system that reduces the performance of the car if you drive it slow a few times in the week. You mean to tell me you have to reset the ECU every week, or every month, because the ECU by default will slow down your car because 1 out of the 5 days in the week you didn't drive it hard? I find that hard to believe.

I do know people always say resetting the ECU can really help performance, but that seems to be a fatal flaw in the ECU. We ought to be able to tell it to keep the better air/fuel ratio and better throttle body position , wtf..

Also, have you noticed that resetting the ECU causes you to lose MPG? I would think it does since the engine will be outputting more power with the better air/fuel ratio, but I don't know really.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:11 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well all the aftermarket ECU's claim to give you better air/fuel ratio and also claim to give you better gas MPG. I don't know how true that is I've never bought one of those before, but I would think the stock ECU would be better in that regard. (Giving you better gas MPG then a aftermarket one).
Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GregUMR
That seems so ate up. Why would they make an ECU system that reduces the performance of the car if you drive it slow a few times in the week. You mean to tell me you have to reset the ECU every week, or every month, because the ECU by default will slow down your car because 1 out of the 5 days in the week you didn't drive it hard? I find that hard to believe.

I do know people always say resetting the ECU can really help performance, but that seems to be a fatal flaw in the ECU. We ought to be able to tell it to keep the better air/fuel ratio and better throttle body position , wtf..

Also, have you noticed that resetting the ECU causes you to lose MPG? I would think it does since the engine will be outputting more power with the better air/fuel ratio, but I don't know really.
I don't bother resetting my ECU often but some people insist on doing it frequently. To each his own. As far as reducing MPGs after a reset, most people just drive the heck out of there car so thats why you will be getting worse gas mileage.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 AM
HER37S

Thanks for the redirect Diamond, learn something new every day
Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Wouldn't you know it!

Well as I've stated before, I'm having a hard time getting this to work now!

Can anyone who's actually disconnected the battery let me know exactly what gets whiped..

I realize I'll lose the radio presets, the clocks will stop, trip meters, and other numbers but the HD won't get erased and will any settings from Nav or addresses get whiped?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Awilli

Timing is the Issue, I just popped in a cd and used it's counter as the timing device to reset the air bag light on my G35 - worked like a charm.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by Awilli
Timing is the Issue, I just popped in a cd and used it's counter as the timing device to reset the air bag light on my G35 - worked like a charm.
Yeh I finally got it to work, I think the best time to start is right AS the AT Check light disappears.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think ima give it a shot tommrow.. i already think ima failll.. darnitt
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Hmm, so I decided to try this myself... until I noticed that my service engine light flashes by itself after a few seconds (as in, without me doing anything)! lol

Is there another way to tell that I've actually performed the steps correctly other than the flashing SEL?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just keep trying... It should work... but if your getting something wierd... make sure you try it like 30 times and then let us know whats up or what the weird problem is.....
Old 03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
damn 30 tries... thats a lot.. lol
Old 03-05-2008, 01:53 AM
HER37S

12 attempts for me
Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Pms1212

O.K. I just did the reset. It took me 5 times. Heres a little hint. When you turn the ignition switch to the on position (2 pushes) you will hear a bell ring 5 times, this is where you will push the accelerator down with each of the bells, 5 pushes within 5 seconds. It took me a couple of tries before I realized this. Then you can continue with the rest of the procedure. When you are holding down the accelerator for 10 seconds, don't let up on the accelerator until the cell starts blinking, thats when it will be 10 seconds. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I FINALLY got it! This is how I did it:

Here is a quick way to reset your ECU. It is also known to clear codes thrown, and turn off the "Service Engine Soon" Light. It's a little tricky, but works.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following two procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds:
1. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

It still took me a few tries, but I found out that after the car is "on" (engine not started), I waited 2 seconds then floored it 5 times in 4 seconds. Everyelse was the same. Hope this will help whoever's having trouble with the reset. Feel free to ask for details.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
dezicartel

Not sure if anyone is still trying to do this, but ill share what worked for me..

1) after the 3rd beep, upon startup, punch it fully depressed and out 5 times, doesnt matter how slow or fast, worked for me either way, as long as its within 5 seconds

then

2) I used the ipod/hard drive seconds to measure the 7 seconds....
i tried using a cd, but it would take to long to boot up

3) once those 7 seconds are up, fully depress that accelerator until the cel starts blinking slowly

4) let go for 2 seconds, and fully depress it again until it goes away and starts blinking faster

then turn it off and on, and ur done.
The following users liked this post:
Quiver (09-25-2016)
Old 04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i got this to work a few times but now that i have the CEL light for my TPs... it doesnt??? kinda strange

Quick Reply: DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect