D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect

Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Also...
Is this in the Manual? If not where did you find this out?
This has been the way to reset the ECU for quite awhile with Nissan/Infiniti. I've used this on my 03 Maxima, 04 G35 as well. There are a couple other resets as well but I can't remember what they are called at the moment.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Also...
Is this in the Manual? If not where did you find this out?
No this was posted from the G35Driver forum (as mentioned) I do not know where it came from, most likely an old Nissan forum. I highly doubt the techs at Infiniti know how to do this..

Originally Posted by Callaway
This has been the way to reset the ECU for quite awhile with Nissan/Infiniti. I've used this on my 03 Maxima, 04 G35 as well. There are a couple other resets as well but I can't remember what they are called at the moment.
What other ways are you thinking of? I know you probably don't know the exact steps anymore but what was involved with the other resets? I take it no more counting is involved. Anyways just curious.. If anything this process was used before any real computer with an interface could be used. Heck now we should be able to do it with our Nav systems!

Funny thing is I tried to video it today real quick before I was heading back out of town and I couldn't get it to work!! I suppose I was just going to fast since I was in a hurry. Most of the time you will mess up with the gas floor/release so yes test your counting with a stopwatch because most likely you are counting too fast, and then you will realize that and then count too slowly. I'll try again when I get home Sunday.

Last edited by DiamondGCoupe; 01-03-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

I believe they are called Throttle Position Learning and
Throttle Valve Closed Position resets.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:19 AM
JLai

What all do you lose?

Radio presets?
Phonebook (& voice phonebook commands)?
Nav home/destinations?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

You don't lose anything. That is why it's better than disconnecting the battery.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally got this to work.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
GiGGaplease

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
imma go out right now and see if i can do it. nothing better to do anyways...

edit: well after a few tries, i got the "service light soon" to blink but i could not get the ecu to reset. it still has my old mpg in there. should it erase that?

Last edited by GiGGaplease; 01-06-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
imma go out right now and see if i can do it. nothing better to do anyways...

edit: well after a few tries, i got the "service light soon" to blink but i could not get the ecu to reset. it still has my old mpg in there. should it erase that?
It does not reset the MPG records.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by likwidfuzion
It does not reset the MPG records.
oh rly? so what does it restart? so, i got it to blink and everything, now i go and drive it hard? whenever i try to floor the car, the clutch would go in by itself and would not let me switch gears. i would rev the engine up and it would go no where..
Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

If you get the blinking SES light, your ECU is reset. Nothing else will erase including your trip computer, radio presets etc.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by Callaway
If you get the blinking SES light, your ECU is reset. Nothing else will erase including your trip computer, radio presets etc.
ohk, thanks for making it clear. i thought everything goes back to the way it was when i first brought the car. the "service light soon" blinked, so that is the SES?
Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

yup, you're not resetting the entire car, just the ECU.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should you do this after break in period, what s the least amount of miles should you have before trying this. And you guys are sure this method wont cause any problems.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
You should do this whenever you want.. After the break-in, would be a good 1st time, and then I'd do it every 3,000 miles after that. If you want to be OCD about it, every week LOL!

As far as problems are concerned, NO this will NEVER EVER EVER cause any problems.. All this does it reset your cars ECU (air/fuel ratio etc..) which it will immediately re-learn as soon as you start driving again.

For those of you who are waiting for this video... Well I don't know any other way of putting this but now I can't seem to get it to work!! I don't know what im doing wrong but ugh I'll get it eventually with the cam in my hand. Sorry!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
You should do this whenever you want.. After the break-in, would be a good 1st time, and then I'd do it every 3,000 miles after that. If you want to be OCD about it, every week LOL!

As far as problems are concerned, NO this will NEVER EVER EVER cause any problems.. All this does it reset your cars ECU (air/fuel ratio etc..) which it will immediately re-learn as soon as you start driving again.

For those of you who are waiting for this video... Well I don't know any other way of putting this but now I can't seem to get it to work!! I don't know what im doing wrong but ugh I'll get it eventually with the cam in my hand. Sorry!
after like 10 tries, i got it to blink. went and drove it like crazy. hopefully it responses well this time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Easy Way to Reset ECU without battery disconnect