Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
George,

What do you mean when you say "Full Correction"? And also what is a Polishing Pal. Should I just do the same thing you've recommended to LightsOut regarding the swirls, or have a detailer use a buffer. I've very lost. Should I use compound, should I clay, or just use a mild polish like M205? Please keep in mind that I'm just trying to get rid of swirls, and a few water marks and that the car only has 1,400 mi on it, and it's black

Thanks again
Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
LightsOut

thanks!
I'm gonna order all that, except the 205 stuff. I forgot I have Meguiars swirl removal. Do you think thats okay to use or I should really get the 205?
Old 05-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
George,

What do you mean when you say "Full Correction"? And also what is a Polishing Pal. Should I just do the same thing you've recommended to LightsOut regarding the swirls, or have a detailer use a buffer. I've very lost. Should I use compound, should I clay, or just use a mild polish like M205? Please keep in mind that I'm just trying to get rid of swirls, and a few water marks and that the car only has 1,400 mi on it, and it's black

Thanks again
By full correction, I mean to restore the car to 95%+ no imperfections. Once the paint is fully corrected, if you care for it properly, then there won't be a need to do a deeper correction (like compounding) which removes the most clear coat out of any polishing step.

It's up to you if you want to pursue a detailer or polish it out yourself. You'll end up spending about the same to invest in a good buffer, pads and polish as you will to pay for a quality detail. The difference is you'll have the tools, knowledge and products to polish your car many times over compared to 1 detail by a pro.

In your case, it sounds like a like polish, like the M205, will do the job for you. I'd recommend claying prior to polishing, it's always best to clay before. If it's just light imperfections, you don't need to go super aggressive. You always want to start with the least aggressive polish / pad combo that is needed to get the job done and work up as necessary.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Originally Posted by LightsOut
thanks!
I'm gonna order all that, except the 205 stuff. I forgot I have Meguiars swirl removal. Do you think thats okay to use or I should really get the 205?
You can give it a shot, M205 is a great finishing polish from their professional line. The Meg's Swirl Removal is the line they sell in stores, which might help, but probably won't be as effective as the M205. Give it a shot if you have it, you can always order the M205 after.

Keep us posted on how things turn out for you.

Best,

George
Old 05-17-2010, 10:30 AM
BLKG37X

Thank you George, everything is clear to me now. I will clay the car prior to polishing. I will probably go to the pros instead of buying a buffer and doing it myself because I don't know what I'm doing, and I might make it worse. Also, I live in an apartment building so the whole process is more difficult than if I had a house with a driveway.

Thanks again George
Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
djsk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you promised, I was able to use the 15% off coupon with the free shipping to stack up on tons on pads to apply my sealant/glaze and leather stuff.

Thanks George!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
LightsOut

Originally Posted by djsk
As you promised, I was able to use the 15% off coupon with the free shipping to stack up on tons on pads to apply my sealant/glaze and leather stuff.

Thanks George!

you got both deals? I only found .99cent shipping code

edit:
Dang... I ordered 2 days too early/
Old 05-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Thank you George, everything is clear to me now. I will clay the car prior to polishing. I will probably go to the pros instead of buying a buffer and doing it myself because I don't know what I'm doing, and I might make it worse. Also, I live in an apartment building so the whole process is more difficult than if I had a house with a driveway.

Thanks again George
Sounds like a plan. With some research using a buffer isn't all that bad, but there is a learning curve involved. The fact that you're in an apt is good reason to find a pro to correct then properly maintain it from there on out. Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

Originally Posted by djsk

Thanks George!
Glad to hear it. Thanks for your support!

you got both deals? I only found .99cent shipping code

edit:
Dang... I ordered 2 days too early/
Shoot me a PM with your order # and I'll see what I can do for you. We appreciate your business

George
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
BLKG37X

I will George, you've been a great help
Thank you
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
woodG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I never knew there are so many car cleaning products / tools / technics before I read this thread. Thanks for all the helpful information. After reading the posts, I am now ready to take care of my G by myself. Looking at the detailed image store, there are so many products and the one I am looking into is DI Starter package. In addition to this, what other products would be necessary to keep my G clean? I've never waxed a car before so it would be pretty darn tasks to do anything advance but I can at least wipe out the dead bugs in my bumper. Any good spray products that I can keep in my trunk? Thanks!
Old 05-18-2010, 03:09 PM
LightsOut

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Sounds like a plan. With some research using a buffer isn't all that bad, but there is a learning curve involved. The fact that you're in an apt is good reason to find a pro to correct then properly maintain it from there on out. Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for your support!

Shoot me a PM with your order # and I'll see what I can do for you. We appreciate your business

George

thanks, but my order was shipped out yesterday.. no big though. I actually saved more than the 10% coupon deal and my bill was only 42.00 not the 75.00 required.

but fyi. all my detail purchases will be from Detailedimage. except my bucket..lol I picked one up from lowes for 2.00
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

I will George, you've been a great help
Thank you
Let me know if there's anything else I can give you a hand with.

Originally Posted by woodG37
Hi,

I never knew there are so many car cleaning products / tools / technics before I read this thread. Thanks for all the helpful information. After reading the posts, I am now ready to take care of my G by myself. Looking at the detailed image store, there are so many products and the one I am looking into is DI Starter package. In addition to this, what other products would be necessary to keep my G clean? I've never waxed a car before so it would be pretty darn tasks to do anything advance but I can at least wipe out the dead bugs in my bumper. Any good spray products that I can keep in my trunk? Thanks!
You're best bet is to start with a quality washing and drying package. This is where a majority of imperfections stem from so you want to make sure that you know how to properly wash and dry your car first. This 60 minute wash and wax kit is a great one to start with. There's step by step tutorial on how to get the most out of that package as well. There's a spray detailer and a spray wax in there to keep things simple.

After you get comfortable with that, you can begin to expand into other areas if desired. Let me know if you have any specific questions on anything.

thanks, but my order was shipped out yesterday.. no big though. I actually saved more than the 10% coupon deal and my bill was only 42.00 not the 75.00 required.

but fyi. all my detail purchases will be from Detailedimage. except my bucket..lol I picked one up from lowes for 2.00
Buckets certainly aren't the most cost effective from us. I wish my cost was $2!

Thanks again for your support!!

George
Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
RaiderSuby

Hi George,
I am slowly learning all these detailing techniques. My test/learning project is really my wife's 11 years old black nissan pathfinder.

I used your DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit
Compounded with (Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 yellow pad then purple wool pad) 2 passes
Polished with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 with orange pad
Finished with Menzerna Power Finish PO203S with white pad
Glazed with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (with Glaze fillers) with blue pad
Sealed with Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger with black pad

Almost everything turned out great, I have never seen her car shines like this before, however, I can't get a few deep scratches out even with 2 passes of compound

do you know what else I can try/buy for the deep scratches? am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
George,

Sorry if this might have been asked before but what kind of polish and pads would you recommend for a black 09 G37 with the self-healing clear coat/scratch shield paint? Also are there any special techniques you would recommend for polishing the cars with the scratch shield paint? So far I have only been washing and waxing the car and I think I'm overdue for a clay and polish. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Originally Posted by RaiderSuby
Hi George,
I am slowly learning all these detailing techniques. My test/learning project is really my wife's 11 years old black nissan pathfinder.

I used your DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP 6.5" Starter Kit
Compounded with (Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 yellow pad then purple wool pad) 2 passes
Polished with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83 with orange pad
Finished with Menzerna Power Finish PO203S with white pad
Glazed with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish (with Glaze fillers) with blue pad
Sealed with Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger with black pad

Almost everything turned out great, I have never seen her car shines like this before, however, I can't get a few deep scratches out even with 2 passes of compound

do you know what else I can try/buy for the deep scratches? am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Certain scratches and imperfections are too deep to safely remove. If the yellow or purple foamed wool is helping improve the scratch, simply continue with that path. If you want to step up from there, then you can venture into some wet sanding. I'd recommend starting with the highest grade and work down as needed. This is going to remove a lot of clear coat compared to polishing so do so at your own risk. We offer sandpaper between 1000 grade and 3000 grade.

The other option is to use smaller pads to concentrate your energy in a smaller area, which will lead to more cut / deeper correction. Hopefully one of those options improves your results for you. Keep us posted but be careful not to go too aggressive in a small area, it's not worth chasing a couple deep imperfections to jeopardize your clear coat.

Originally Posted by Wongster
George,

Sorry if this might have been asked before but what kind of polish and pads would you recommend for a black 09 G37 with the self-healing clear coat/scratch shield paint? Also are there any special techniques you would recommend for polishing the cars with the scratch shield paint? So far I have only been washing and waxing the car and I think I'm overdue for a clay and polish. Thanks in advance!
No special techniques other than you want to make sure that you use the least aggressive approach to give you the results your looking for. A nice medium polish to start with would be Menzerna Power Finish on white pads and move up or down from there depending on your results. The goal is to keep as much clear coat intact as possible but still give you some results in correcting the finish. You could start even lighter with Menzerna Super Finish and a black or white pad, but depending on how deep your imperfections are, that may not yield great results. Are you planning on using a buffer? If not, I'd recommend Meguiar's M205 instead.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

George
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
RaiderSuby

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
it's not worth chasing a couple deep imperfections to jeopardize your clear coat.

George

Thanks George, I think i will just leave them alone. Seriously I can't see those scratches if I am looking at them at 90degree or in regular light. I can only see them if I look down from the side or in bright sun light. So I am pretty happy with the results.

btw, do you have an good youtube or detailing guide on your website on how to wet sand? There is an area in her pathfinder that need paint touchup, but I haven't done it because I don't know how to wet sand.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer... Brought to you by Detailed Image