Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Advice on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:59 AM
TheGuac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Purchase

Hey guys,

So I am in the process of buying a used 2010 Silver G37x with the premium and nav packages and I was wanting some last minute advice before pulling the trigger. The car itself has 22k miles on it (mostly highway miles) and is in pretty good condition from what I can tell (it is in Chicago and I am about 400 miles away). I made the salesman check the car to see if there were any interior and exterior defects and he drove the car and said it checked out fine. There was an accident reported on Carfax but according to the dealer, someone backed up into the car's door and a police report was filled out. However, it was fixed and no residual damage remains. I have asked for the maintenance history and the dealer will give me that tomorrow. If he cannot supply that to me, I will probably back-out of the deal since I'd like to know that the car was taken good care of.

I got the dealer (Honda dealer, not Infiniti) down to 29,250 which I thought was fair given KBB's used retail price of close to 35k for this particular set-up. I just wanted to make sure you guys think this is decent before I take the plunge tomorrow. I already put a deposit down but it is refundable. It also depends what interest rate the finance person can give me.

Do you think this particular car has too many miles? Is the accident report an automatic red-flag? I usually buy new so this used-car buying process is very different to me! I appreciate the help!! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
drshamski

If you can spare a few thousand dollars just negotiate and buy a new one. The accident is a big red flag even if u ever try to resell. It lowers the cars value significantly. 22k miles is also high for a 1 year old car (usually estimate 12k miles for each year) How long was the car in service?
I haven't looked in a while but a new one shouldn't be more than like 36 or 37? I know its a ways away from the 29 you were quoted but it is a brand new car. At 22k miles you are already half way through the mileage part of your warranty...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
twerk

Don't do it! Just look around, I believe there are enough G's out there on the market that you can find a better one. As drshamki said, you could also just spend a little more and get a brand spanking new one.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 AM
TheGuac

Uh oh!! Well I definitely cant afford a new one right now and I just found out insurance is so much for these cars. There is a nice certified 08 g35x being sold here...maybe ill just buy that one then...
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
TheGuac

Originally Posted by drshamski
If you can spare a few thousand dollars just negotiate and buy a new one. The accident is a big red flag even if u ever try to resell. It lowers the cars value significantly. 22k miles is also high for a 1 year old car (usually estimate 12k miles for each year) How long was the car in service?
I haven't looked in a while but a new one shouldn't be more than like 36 or 37? I know its a ways away from the 29 you were quoted but it is a brand new car. At 22k miles you are already half way through the mileage part of your warranty...
It was used for 9 months...i liked it because it was cheaper than most around the area.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
drshamski

9 mos and he ate 1/2 the warranty (4yr/50k) I would not do it for the 2010... Lease a new one.. the numbers were good, prob still decent in april.. no one has posted yet. Japanese cars will be in short supply in another month or two due to the tsunami. the plants were closed for a a few weeks (most are restarted except the Infiniti G engine plant) but there will be the void between when all the cars at port are sold and the new ones arrive...

just my opinion though... Look for a low mileage car if its is used less than 2 years...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
TheGuac

9 mos and he ate 1/2 the warranty (4yr/50k) I would not do it for the 2010... Lease a new one.. the numbers were good, prob still decent in april.. no one has posted yet. Japanese cars will be in short supply in another month or two due to the tsunami. the plants were closed for a a few weeks (most are restarted except the Infiniti G engine plant) but there will be the void between when all the cars at port are sold and the new ones arrive...

just my opinion though... Look for a low mileage car if its is used less than 2 years...
Im starting my medical residency and I need something to last me for 5 years. Unfortunately, I love technology and sports cars so I cant do something cheap like a Corolla and the g37 is perfect in this regard! But I also dont want to get caught in a car that has a red flag, although in 5 years it probably wouldnt matter much for resale. I think the warranty lasts until 60k right?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
drshamski

What residency are you starting? Just splurge and buy it new.. I got an 2006 new, back when I started Residency, it was an awesome purchase. Love the power when driving home Post-Call and all you can think of is time to get home... Good Luck on July 1....
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
TheGuac

What residency are you starting? Just splurge and buy it new.. I got an 2006 new, back when I started Residency, it was an awesome purchase. Love the power when driving home Post-Call and all you can think of is time to get home... Good Luck on July 1....
I'm doing radiology. Residency salaries suck so that's why I wanted to go for a used car. Add the astronomical insurance rates for Chicago and the monthly payment is ridiculously high (even for a used!). That's why I'm not sure I can splurge on a $36-38k car at invoice--it would still be cutting it close with the high cost of living in these cities. Maybe I'll just end up leasing even though I'm not a fan of it (and I think IL charges full sales tax on the price of the car in a lease!).
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
TheGuac

I found a 2010 G37x with prem and nav for 33.8k (before negotiations). It is black on black (not a fan of this color combo) with the wood inside trim and it has 7000 miles. Would this be a better choice? How low do you think I should try to negotiate?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
SUck it up, get a beater, and get yourself a nice car later IMO.

Also, a new G isn't much more than what you're paying for that used one.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 PM
drshamski

Wait till after residency or just pay the 2-3k extra and get new... used is a market not to play with unless the car was owned by a close friend. You don't have time to deal with problems during residency in case any arise from a used car..

Not that I had any major problems with my G during residency, but even getting it in for routine service meant me giving up a post call day or something. If something does go wrong on the used car, you will wish you bought the new corolla...
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
TheGuac

I may do a new 2011 Maxima SV instead of dealing with used. When I test drove it, it really was about the same except for the RWD vs FWD issue. However, there are incentives going on now and a $40k Maxima can be had for $34k, which is doable. I also like some of the features the Maxima has, like the panoramic sunroof and cooling driver's seat. It's a little large though and that's why the G37 would be nice.