Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

READ BEFORE BUYING: Tips for buying your new G37

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
DdotRoq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
READ BEFORE BUYING: Tips for buying your new G37

Hello All,

I've created a few tips and tactics to help the average car buyer get a great deal on a G37 - I'm sure this will help many of you:

Do Your Homework:

Many people tell you to find and research the car you like and make sure this is the vehicle YOU want, and settle on the car, trying to get the best price. This is a direct fail; never settle.

Research its direct competitors. In this case, we want an Infiniti G37, so we are looking at the BMW 335 coupe and the Audi A5. We are going to research the BMW 335i Coupe and the Audi A5, and price it comparabily to our Infiniti G37. Our guide? Edmunds.com. Edmunds.com will give you Invoice, MSRP - basically, it gives you free ammunition for the gun-fight.

First in the line, is our winner, which we already know, is the car we want - the G37; Lets go on Edmunds.com and price it - I want a 2008 Infiniti G37 Coupe Journey with the following packages (Notice how it is priced - TMV is only an indication, we don't care about this)
-

Name:  G37c.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  40.6 KB

Now that we have the info on the car we want, lets see what its competitors are working with, BMW first up with the 335i coupe:

Name:  335c.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  40.5 KB

and we then have Audi, coming up with the A5 -

Name:  a5.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  36.6 KB

We have done our homework.. time to play.

First thing you must know, is, regardless of the price, if you get the car for "Invoice", dealerships still get an incentive per car they sell, so if they say they "Make no money off your deal", that is complete BS. They make holdback, which could amount from $800-$1500 per vehicle, depending on the volume of sales of that dealer, so in reality, under invoice is possible - Dealerships have to meet their quota to Infiniti by end of month, so guess when is the best time to shop? Thats right, last days of the month. FYI - The holdback for Infiniti is 1% of the MSRP, so if your vehicle is priced at $46,000 MSRP, Infiniti gets $460.

Go on edmunds.com and price your G37, configured to your liking; when done, Edmunds will give you an option to reach out to dealers near you for quotes - do it. They will all come back to you and ask you to come in to the dealership; tell them you refuse to until they have given you a price you are comfortable with. You are looking for invoice. period. E-shop for a while, to see what is the best deal you can get, use your negotiation skills. For best deals, call the dealerships directly asking for the Sales manager, as these are the people that have direct access to work with the numbers, as the salespeople are just regular employees and have to go to the sales manager anyways - skip the middle man. Some salespeople tell you they need to keep your license while you test drive the vehicle - tactic? you forget, so you have to go back to the dealership after you leave to get your license back. if they have to keep your license during the test drive, tell them to keep the car and leave. The best tactic is, if you get that funny feeling something isn't right, LEAVE. This is ~$40,000, you leave you are hurting them.

When you have a price you are comfortable with (Lets say dealer A quoted you at $500 over invoice), make an appointment. Lets go see him three days from now. You will be going to your appointment expecting to leave WITHOUT A CAR. Yes without a car, unless you get this incredibly great deal, which is doubtly. So we go to the dealer, they have the car you like, you drive it, you like it. You tell him you are not sure, since you are comparing to the BMW and Audi, which are more comfortable and offer much more than the Infiniti; the only thing holding you back is price. After test drive, you guys will sit down and talk numbers. Simple - ask for under invoice or something ridiculous, like $500 under. Assuming you don't get this price, don't accept any counter offers and just get the very best offer he gives, walk away and "THINK ABOUT IT".

2 days from now, you will be visiting Dealer B - why two days? Because Dealer A might call you back and say he MIGHT be able to give you that deal, it is the end of the month. Regardless, you tell him you might see him tmorrow. You go to Dealer B, make sure you tell them you already test drove the car at the other Infiniti dealer and other Infiniti gave you this number, and you want to see what is the best they can do. They say they can beat it, they will give you this number - you tell them you expected a better deal and walk away, you have to think about it. You go back to dealer A and give them the chance to counter what Dealer B just gave you. You are at your best bargaining power right now, so if they said yes, accept their offer. They say no, well their loss, go back to dealer B and buy the car.

Financing - Find alternative quotes prior to signing the documents. You might get a better APR through your own bank. Alot of dealer addons like wheel coverage is BS. I wouldn't get those either.. Except maybe Gap insurance for car buyers (non-leasees).

Hope this helps all of you.

Let me know what you all think.

Dave
The following users liked this post:
gill1606 (03-04-2014)
Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stickied...
Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice Write-up, Dave... Kudos!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Now if we can just get the newbers to read this before they post a thread we will be in good shape
Old 08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
DoctorTuna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds about right to me, after all the goodie add-ons, I rang in at $600 over invoice. I thought that was very fair for all involved. Too many people don't do their research, and pay way more than they should.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by DoctorTuna
Sounds about right to me, after all the goodie add-ons, I rang in at $600 over invoice. I thought that was very fair for all involved. Too many people don't do their research, and pay way more than they should.
I agree... If you research you can get the deal you want...

I snagged 700 over invoice around the 10th of December of 07 with them shipping in the car from 700 miles away... If I can get that back then... (some people got better btw back then) anyone now can easily do 1-2k under invoice.

Just read and research and things will work out well!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice work. I will need to read this later...you didn't lie when you said it was going to be a big read.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
AznEnigma69

thanks, very infomative!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:11 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
awesome write up..
Old 08-25-2008, 03:42 AM
amazing35

sweetness
Old 08-25-2008, 07:18 AM
J.Oh

man.. i wish i had this before
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
fdg911

While very helpful for negotiating the price of the car, how does this help negotiating the monthly payments on a lease?
Old 08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
pyctici

good read u put alot a work into this, nice job
Old 09-03-2008, 03:12 PM
DdotRoq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdg911
While very helpful for negotiating the price of the car, how does this help negotiating the monthly payments on a lease?
Same way. Lease rates work primarily off of the selling price of the vehicle. While there is the money factor, buyout, etc., i only negotiated my msrp, down to below invoice on a lease. This brought my payment down to my "comfort zone", and like I always say, "The Best deal is the one you are comfortable paying".
Old 09-26-2008, 12:33 PM
go4gr8

Exclamation

For leasing information there's a couple of threads on it. Here's one.

Also, GAP Insurance is usually available through your insurance company for free.

Quick Reply: READ BEFORE BUYING: Tips for buying your new G37