Build Threads

ZahyMatar's '12 A54 G37x Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
ZahyMatar's '12 A54 G37x Sedan

Finally decided to start my own build thread... I had to fit in somehow!

In September of 2015, I finally purchased my first car at the age of 20. After nearly a year of researching, I ended up purchasing a 2012 G37x Sedan in Vibrant Red. Purchased it with 35,000 miles on the odometer, 4 months later, it's at nearly 43,000. (Driving between NJ and NC)

Car paid off as of August 27, 2016.

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes
  • OEM Black Chrome G37 Convertible Wheels - 19x9 +30mm
  • BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 UHP A/S Tire - 245/40/19
  • Cusco FSTB - Powdercoated in satin black
  • Stance XR1 Coilovers w/ Swift Springs - 13/8k
  • SPL Front Upper Control Arms
  • SPL Titanium Rear Toe Arms
  • SPL Titanium Rear Camber Arms
  • SPL Eccentric Lockout Kit
  • Hotchkis F&R Adjustable Sway Bars
  • Akebono BBK
  • Z1 Slotted Rotors
  • Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads
  • Z1 Stailess Steel Brake Lines
  • Motul RBF-600 Fluid

Intake/Exhaust
  • Black Nickel R2C Intakes
  • Tanabe Medallion Axleback Exhaust
  • Berk High Flow Cats

Exterior
  • 2010+ G37S Bumper Swap
  • OEM Rear Decklid Spoiler
  • Debadged Trunk

Interior
  • RedlineGoods Flat-bottom Steering Wheel
  • RedkineGoods Perforated Leather Shift Boot
  • OEM Paddle Shifters
  • GT-R Start Button
  • OEM All-Weather Floor Mats
  • OEM G37 Sport Seats

Lighting (Parts purchased, awaiting install)
  • LightWerkz Headlights(March 2017)
  • Satin Black Housings w/ Gloss Black Shrouds
  • Quad 90mm Diode Dynamics HD Switchback Halos
  • Osram CBI 5500k HID Bulbs
  • STI-R 3" Clear Projector Lenses
  • VLED Triton 7440 Amber Turn Signal (Front/Rear)
  • JDM G37 Tail Lights
  • Morimoto XB LED 5500k Foglights

Planned Upgrades
  • Moog F&R Swaybar Endlinks
  • Vinyl Wrap Trim and Grille in Gloss Black
  • Fast Intentions 2.5in Catback Exhaust
  • Wrap roof in gloss black vinyl
  • OEM Sport side-sills
  • OEM Sport Pedals
  • Body Work
Possible Upgrades
  • Ported Intake Manifold
  • ECUTEK
  • Stillen Supercharger
  • Level 10 Performance 7AT Valve Body Upgrade

Last edited by ZahyMatar; 02-27-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Here she is sitting at the dealer the day I bought her.

Towering over my friend's S2k.

G meets M?

Purchased these OEM paddle shifters locally on the forums. First "mod" I purchased for my car.

Morimoto XB LED 5500k foglights installed.

I originally disliked the OEM decklid spoiler, but it grew on me after seeing how many people had it on the forums. I ended up buying it in December. The install sucked, but as you can see, I was successful. 0/10 would not do again.

Last edited by ZahyMatar; 09-18-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

and.....

Old 01-08-2016, 03:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice start Zahy, looking forward to this coming together
The following users liked this post:
ZahyMatar (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:43 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice start Zahy, looking forward to this coming together
Thanks, blnewt!

PS: I really appreciate your help with the wheel fitment.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
In for progress. Love VR sedans.

Those black chrome 19's are going to look great. Once installed, I see AWD Swift Springs in your future sooner than later.
The following users liked this post:
ZahyMatar (01-12-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:54 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I've finally made some progress! Quite a big change.

19x9 Black Chrome Vert wheels installed along wrapped in BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S tires (245/40/19) and my GTR start button
Now I really need to get some AWD Swifts springs and an Akebono BBK, preferably in burnt copper.

Last edited by ZahyMatar; 01-16-2016 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZahyMatar:
Coltrane1 (03-12-2017), ColumbiaSkinny (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:01 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Those rims look fantastic on your G, Z. Just the right amount of chrome too IMO as is right now with the wheels, window trim, headlights, grill and fog rings. Very proper so far. Nice work....
The following 2 users liked this post by ColumbiaSkinny:
Coltrane1 (03-12-2017), ZahyMatar (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:06 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
Those rims look fantastic on your G, Z. Just the right amount of chrome too IMO as is right now with the wheels, window trim, headlights, grill and fog rings. Very proper so far. Nice work....
Haha "G, Z"... Sorry, I thought that was funny.

But thanks man! I thought the same about the chrome too, although I think I'm still going to black out the window trim. We'll see
Old 01-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Recommend an Intake before you tune (Takeda or Stillen G3). There are no plenum spacers. You can make an aftermarket ported OEM plenum (Z1 performance) or a VQ35HR plenum (M370). You could also PNP your lower plenum to match. I actually have a set of OEM upper and lower plenums for sale if you're interested. Camber kits would be a good idea so your alignment is perfect one you lower it. Coilovers would be ideal though. Fortune Auto 500 with Swift springs is my recommendation. If you are going to paint your headlight housings might as well do some other upgrades too (clear lens, Iron Man or Halo Rings, etc.). Carsmo ***** are a nice cheap upgrade. Illuminated door sills looks great too. Diode Dynamics interior LED kit is another cheap mod that is really nice.

I love those wheels. Chin Spoiler, drop, painted headlights will look really nice. 20 years old and you got this car and money for mods. Must be doing good, good for you!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Speed:
Diode Dynamics (01-18-2016), ZahyMatar (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:16 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Recommend an Intake before you tune (Takeda or Stillen G3). There are no plenum spacers. You can make an aftermarket ported OEM plenum (Z1 performance) or a VQ35HR plenum (M370). You could also PNP your lower plenum to match. I actually have a set of OEM upper and lower plenums for sale if you're interested. Camber kits would be a good idea so your alignment is perfect one you lower it. Coilovers would be ideal though. Fortune Auto 500 with Swift springs is my recommendation. If you are going to paint your headlight housings might as well do some other upgrades too (clear lens, Iron Man or Halo Rings, etc.). Carsmo ***** are a nice cheap upgrade. Illuminated door sills looks great too. Diode Dynamics interior LED kit is another cheap mod that is really nice.

I love those wheels. Chin Spoiler, drop, painted headlights will look really nice. 20 years old and you got this car and money for mods. Must be doing good, good for you!!
Woops forgot to add intakes to the list. I was confusing the plenum spacer with the Motordyne M370 manifold (I'm an idiot)

Camber kits will also be considered once the car is lowered. I'm realllllllllllly leaning towards Swifts since they seem to be well respected on the AWD side of the forums. The Fortune coils with Swifts do look awesome though. When/if I choose to do my headlights, I'd probably just upgrade the lenses. Halo are meh to me right now, maybe they'll grow on me? (It's not BMW) My car came with illuminated door sills when I bought it

Thanks for your response though, very helpful and will definitely look into these options. Appreciate the kind words.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
With the AWD Sedan, if your priority for lowing is aesthetics, then definitely go with Swift Springs, and only pursue camber kit(s) if necessary after the fact. Lots and lots of people here get away with only the lowering springs, and /done.

As for the BBK... sure, copper powdercoated Akebono calipers would look amazing against 14" slotted rotors, behind black-chrome 15-spoke rims. But honestly, the wheel choice here hides your brakes. With that black-chrome finish, and the number of spokes, the brakes are an afterthought. If I were you, that expensive BBK would be way down my list.

You know what else hides your brakes? Taking all these new pictures in the freaking shadows.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:59 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
With the AWD Sedan, if your priority for lowing is aesthetics, then definitely go with Swift Springs, and only pursue camber kit(s) if necessary after the fact. Lots and lots of people here get away with only the lowering springs, and /done.

As for the BBK... sure, copper powdercoated Akebono calipers would look amazing against 14" slotted rotors, behind black-chrome 15-spoke rims. But honestly, the wheel choice here hides your brakes. With that black-chrome finish, and the number of spokes, the brakes are an afterthought. If I were you, that expensive BBK would be way down my list.

You know what else hides your brakes? Taking all these new pictures in the freaking shadows.
That's most likely what I'll end up doing. As for the BBK, I don't plan on doing that until February 2017.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Wheels look great Zahy, and just paint your OEM calipers black, just use some brake cleaner, then wipe down w/ rubbing alcohol and put a few coats of VHT black caliper paint on those brakes. This will clean up the look, not draw unneeded attention to base floating calipers, and will blend well w/ your G.

Rochester gives good advice, if you drop on Swifts just keep your front camber the best you can since you have full toe adjustment, and just get a rear bolt kit to get your toe proper, then you'll have a mild camber tuck to have those wheels fit like a glove. You'll be extra happy w/ that setup!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:36 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Wheels look great Zahy, and just paint your OEM calipers black, just use some brake cleaner, then wipe down w/ rubbing alcohol and put a few coats of VHT black caliper paint on those brakes. This will clean up the look, not draw unneeded attention to base floating calipers, and will blend well w/ your G.

Rochester gives good advice, if you drop on Swifts just keep your front camber the best you can since you have full toe adjustment, and just get a rear bolt kit to get your toe proper, then you'll have a mild camber tuck to have those wheels fit like a glove. You'll be extra happy w/ that setup!
I just figured if I'm gonna be messing with my brakes, I might as well go all out. It's going to be a gift to myself after my next deployment. I'm in no rush to do it.

I have to do some more research about camber/toe adjustment because I have little to no knowledge on that subject. Would I get the rear bolt kit installed and then get everything adjusted when I get an alignment? Would it be wise to purchase the Swift springs, rear bolt kit, and hotchkis all together? Appreciate your input, blnewt.

Quick Reply: ZahyMatar's '12 A54 G37x Sedan