Build Threads

Hexotics' progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Engine bay update. Ran new lines for the catch can. Got rid of the weird coupling that went from –10AN to –6. Now just –6 lines and fittings all around. Looks a lot neater.

The original setup had that –10 AN to –6AN coupling that looked ugly and was just bad... Old hoses were crap too.

Nice and neat

Final result
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:54 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Clean engine bay my man.
hexotic (07-07-2019)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:42 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

I guess I forgot to add these photos.
Random interior shot (few new ones coming once my impulse buy goodies come in). And then the wrinkle black engine bay (I have some ideas/plans this summer and may finally be getting some CAI, so this may be temporary):

Old 01-18-2020, 05:20 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
I guess I forgot to add these photos.
Random interior shot (few new ones coming once my impulse buy goodies come in). And then the wrinkle black engine bay (I have some ideas/plans this summer and may finally be getting some CAI, so this may be temporary):

Very nice!

Where'd you get the steering wheel cover? I have the same interior and the Stone is difficult to match.

-Eric
Old 01-18-2020, 06:00 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Its charcoal leather from RedlineGoods that matches the dark grey in the stone and wheat cars. Its a tiny bit darker, but a pretty close match I can definitely live with. And the Italian leather is really nice and soft.

Last edited by hexotic; 01-18-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:23 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Its charcoal leather from RedlineGoods that matches the dark grey in the stone and wheat cars. Its a tiny bit darker, but a pretty close match I can definitely live with. And the Italian leather is really nice and soft.
Thanks!

My understanding is out interior is two tone:
Stone - dash, wheel, top of door panels
Wheat - seats, lower door panels

Hard to find an exact match.
-Eric
Old 01-18-2020, 06:28 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Well, stone interior is different from wheat interior. Stone is light grey (or stone) seats and dark grey top bits/door top panels. Wheat is beige seats and dark grey top bits. There is also a 2010 stone version which has black and stone as a combo. If you're matching to the dark grey, then the redline charcoal is 95% there, its the same for both versions. I haven't seen a better match anywhere else. Not to be confused with what Infiniti calls charcoal interior, AKA black.

Stone:
Dark grey dash, wheel, top of door panels

Light grey seats, lower door panels

Wheat:

Beige seats, lower door panels

I know a lot of people get this confused. I have a perfect pic to explain. The steering wheel top and bottom is matched to stone interior as my neck pillows and floor mats are light grey. The seats, you can clearly see are wheat. If your seats are the colour of my steering wheel, its stone, if theyre like mine, its wheat.

On that note, i may be grabbing some more leather from redline and wrapping my second steering wheel black for the grips and dark grey (redline charcoal) for the top and bottom. I have some nice new floor mats coming in, and there will be a lot more black (cf) replacing the wood soon.

Last edited by hexotic; 01-18-2020 at 06:55 PM.
llebcire (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 AM
llebcire
Registered Member

Well, stone interior is different from wheat interior. Stone is light grey (or stone) seats and dark grey top bits/door top panels. Wheat is beige seats and dark grey top bits. There is also a 2010 stone version which has black and stone as a combo. If you're matching to the dark grey, then the redline charcoal is 95% there, its the same for both versions. I haven't seen a better match anywhere else. Not to be confused with what Infiniti calls charcoal interior, AKA black.

Stone:

Light grey seats, lower door panels

Wheat:

Beige seats, lower door panels

I know a lot of people get this confused. I have a perfect pic to explain. The steering wheel top and bottom is matched to stone interior as my neck pillows and floor mats are light grey. The seats, you can clearly see are wheat. If your seats are the colour of my steering wheel, its stone, if theyre like mine, its wheat.

On that note, i may be grabbing some more leather from redline and wrapping my second steering wheel black for the grips and dark grey (redline charcoal) for the top and bottom. I have some nice new floor mats coming in, and there will be a lot more black (cf) replacing the wood soon.
Thanks for the clarification!

Top parts are a unique color and difficult to match :-( . My steering wheel is wearing out at 12 O'clock and I've been thinking about a wrap.
Mine would be wheat then.
-Eric

Old 01-19-2020, 08:24 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by llebcire
Thanks for the clarification!

Top parts are a unique color and difficult to match :-( . My steering wheel is wearing out at 12 O'clock and I've been thinking about a wrap.
Mine would be wheat then.
-Eric

Yup, going off those photos you're definitely wheat.
Redlinegoods charcoal the whole wheel. Do perforated on the grips and solid top and bottom and it will look amazing. It will be a tiny bit darker than the airbag cover and bezel, but not enough to notice.

It's really affordable if you can sew the cover on yourself. Took me like 3 hours, but came out great.

If you do have the budget, you can also get their flat bottom steering wheel version.

If you're on a limited budget, don't cheap out and buy one of those AliExpress/eBay covers for $40. I've learned the hard way that they crack and wear out.

One last note, you can request leather samples from redline. They will mail you a sample pack and you can live match it before ordering. They're an amazing company with fantastic customer service.

Last edited by hexotic; 01-19-2020 at 08:30 AM.
llebcire (01-19-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Latest update. New floor mats, OEM sport pedals, engine bay update and new steering wheel.

ngolbuff (05-15-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:43 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Cleaned up the cuts on the engine cover, sanded off the icon and painted the wiper fluid reservoir cap. Painted the battery/brake booster covers wrinkle black. I also got my sport bumper, time to start the customizing process!

Old 05-22-2020, 01:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Props for uniqueness, color and clean execution of that engine cover project.

But now that you're on the other end of that itch, how are you feeling about it? And remember, this is for posterity, so be honest.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:31 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

You know what? at first, I was on the fence because the cuts weren't too clean and the motor itself was filthy, but after refinishing it and doing some minor cleaning, I'm very happy. I got the chance to see someone elses G engine bay yesterday, and the guy just painted his cover red with so much overspray and just terrible choice of paint that it really made me appreciate what I've made. He asked to see what I've done to mine, and I must say, hearing someone say 'holy crap' under their breath after you pop your hood is definitely a good feeling.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
He asked to see what I've done to mine, and I must say, hearing someone say 'holy crap' under their breath after you pop your hood is definitely a good feeling.
Yeah, I've been there a few times. It's not the reason I keep a clean engine bay, but it's still a pretty cool moment.

Hey, you know what I noticed the other day? There's a dime sized section of the CF wrap on the back panels that's pulled away, like a reverse dimple. How's yours holding up?
Old 05-22-2020, 02:56 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Yeah, I don't clean mine to show off either. I rarely open it to let people see to begin with. I just think an engine bay says a lot about how the rest of the car has been treated.

As for the CF wrap, mines the size of a silver dollar. I'm redoing it this summer with a proper heat gun.

Quick Reply: Hexotics' progress thread