Build Threads

Hexotics' progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:33 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Haha, my base brakes were red before going blue.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:30 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Finally updated all the info in the original post. ordered some Michelin tires. Got my hands on a motordyne m370 intake manifold. Thats going on the car before the tune this summer. Cant wait.

Last edited by hexotic; 08-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Just updating the thread with some of the stuff I've been working on/posting about.

Redline Goods steering wheel:

Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Custom air flaps for a bit more flow. The flaps are on both sides, but the photos are so blurry, I wont bother posting lol.

Then, inside the engine bay, made much better heat shields.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:55 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

And finally, with the new intake manifold in, I wrapped the shields in heat reflective tape and tweaked the shape a bit. Just have to wrap the intake tubes in the same material, and it will be good to go for the tune on Aug 14.

Apologies for the blurriness. I swear I will go and fix my phone one of these days.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Seems like a good idea, using heat reflective material on the heat shields.

I like the look of your catch can.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:53 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Rochester
Seems like a good idea, using heat reflective material on the heat shields.

I like the look of your catch can.
Yeah, I can touch them without getting burned now. I think wrapping the tubes themselves will have a big impact

And thx lol. Had to paint the ring blue, the red wasn't fitting in. I got it as a gift. Didn't realize it costs like $300 cad when I accepted it. Curious to see if it actually catches anything. The VHR is supposed to be pretty good with oil, but considering all the changes, can't hurt.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:41 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

A few fresh pictures with the DIY repainted bumper.

The following users liked this post:
FrogmanKouki (09-04-2020)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Undertray is on!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM
Aeroneer1
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed. Recently picked up an 2011 Obsidian black RWD base sedan. Which deck lid spoiler did you get? That's my next mod and haven't been able to find any recommendations past "go oem!", but I like the little curve up look on our cars.

Also I like your winter setup better than your summer . Looks BOSS with the meaty tires. Here is a dealer photo of my car:

Cheers,
Nick
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Aeroneer1
Subscribed. Recently picked up an 2011 Obsidian black RWD base sedan. Which deck lid spoiler did you get? That's my next mod and haven't been able to find any recommendations past "go oem!", but I like the little curve up look on our cars.

Also I like your winter setup better than your summer . Looks BOSS with the meaty tires. Here is a dealer photo of my car:

Cheers,
Nick
Thank you 😁
The spoiler is just a no name eBay carbon fiber spoiler. Was like $150. Fit was 9/10, had to expand the camera hole a little bit. Prices have since changed, but it was more or less identical to this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F201466474259

My winter setup is now my summer setup too on fat Michelin tires lol. Got tired of the bumpy ride plus cracked one of those expensive wheels. These cheap things take a beating and don't give up.

Is your sedan the anniversary edition? Those wheels are not standard, only came on the special edition. Red interior?
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Aeroneer1
Registered Member

Ya, I was thinking of trying one of those out .. if I have to dremel the camera hole out a bit no big deal.

Mine is the "sport appearance edition", which I think put those 18" anniversary wheels (18x8.5), 225x50 tires, front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, mud flaps, and rear privacy tint, and black interior.

But I just bought some 2013 coupe sport wheels (split spoke ones) off a member on here that I'm going to refinish and get new tires for at some point. So far I've mostly focused on maintenance items (oil, diff oil, tranny pan and fluid, plugs, k&N filters, cabin filter, rad fluid, pcv valves, throttle body clean, paint correction), but some mods: steering wheel wrap, q60 shift ****, full LED conversion minus HID high/low beams, tail as turn, silicone intake tubes, and removed G37 emblem.

Next on my list is brake fluid, tint side windows and windshield, do same grill painting as you did, maybe the rear deck spoiler, and once I get tires mounted up, measure for spacers. No plans right now to lower, as it's my daily and I bought this so I didn't have to deal with the bumpiness of the modified suspension of my lifted 4Runner on my 15 mile commute. But if I could find a 1/2 - 1" drop that wouldn't make my car feel like an autocross or ricer, I'd do it.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Originally Posted by Aeroneer1
Ya, I was thinking of trying one of those out .. if I have to dremel the camera hole out a bit no big deal.

Mine is the "sport appearance edition", which I think put those 18" anniversary wheels (18x8.5), 225x50 tires, front chin spoiler, rear spoiler, mud flaps, and rear privacy tint, and black interior.

But I just bought some 2013 coupe sport wheels (split spoke ones) off a member on here that I'm going to refinish and get new tires for at some point. So far I've mostly focused on maintenance items (oil, diff oil, tranny pan and fluid, plugs, k&N filters, cabin filter, rad fluid, pcv valves, throttle body clean, paint correction), but some mods: steering wheel wrap, q60 shift ****, full LED conversion minus HID high/low beams, tail as turn, silicone intake tubes, and removed G37 emblem.

Next on my list is brake fluid, tint side windows and windshield, do same grill painting as you did, maybe the rear deck spoiler, and once I get tires mounted up, measure for spacers. No plans right now to lower, as it's my daily and I bought this so I didn't have to deal with the bumpiness of the modified suspension of my lifted 4Runner on my 15 mile commute. But if I could find a 1/2 - 1" drop that wouldn't make my car feel like an autocross or ricer, I'd do it.
I'm lowered on Swift's and it's about that 1- 1.5" drop.stiffer ride, but with 18-19" wheels not that bad. Would be nice if you could find someone local and just try it out with a butt test. The rest of the mods are pretty close to what I did. Except I upgraded my headlight bulbs to Osram CBI.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Aeroneer1
Registered Member

Was HID bulb change for different color temperature? Better output? What temperature did you go with? I was also considering this, because my fogs and switchback blinkers are a whiter LED.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:08 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

All my lights are 5500k. The headlight bulbs are a bit warmer tint while they warm up.

The light output is at least a 25% improvement over the OE Phillips bulbs. They reach farther and fill in more detail with the high beams.

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

The following users liked this post:
Aeroneer1 (05-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Hexotics' progress thread