Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 03:37 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
I haven't looked at what settings are available via OBD, but if the main ones you want are you could do this with a bluetooth OBD adapter and a cheap android tablet running torque and have it all done for under $150 probably.
I would like the gauges for the various temps to be easy to see while I am driving (ie. in my field of vision) since you do not have much time to take your eyes off the road when you are on the track. I usually do not even know exactly the top speed I hit on the straights because I do not want to miss my braking points going into corners. I think it would be hard to mount a tablet anywhere within my line of sight while I am on track, but still a good idea.

Originally Posted by Presto
Check out the threads here by user g37sam . He had installed it in the sunglasses holder . Also see carbon signal thread on the370z for Moreno info on these gauges.
In the sunglass holder? Now that is some James Bond level uprade.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Recently I got a Phase 2 radiator cap with a temperature gauge for track days. Now I can keep an eye on the temps since the factory gauge never seems to move, even when it gets so hot the OEM cap starts spitting fluid. This should work well since I pop the hood after every session anyway to cool the engine.

Anyone know the normal water temp range for this car?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Splitter

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, but oil temp is not reported via OBD in a 370 or a G, it runs on the CANBUS only, so you need to install an oil temp sender unit, usually a sandwich plate on the oil filter is what most folks go for, but that could be a tall ask with the cooler sandwich plate already installed and lack of clearance for the filter.

Otherwise if you're really creative, you might be able to figure out where the Z gets the signal from for the cluster gauge and see if you can retrofit a Z gauge somehow.

The temp gauge on the radiator seems like a novel idea, but I'd be hesitant that the readings will be anywhere near max once you've done a cool-down lap and made it back to the pits to check it. My race car used to run hot and a single cooldown lap at 60mph on a 1 mile track would drop the temps about 30 degrees from those at full noise. You really need to get these readings inside the cockpit unfortunately. Luckily, water temp is an output via OBD, so you could at least log it on your phone in a safe location during your event and check/compare with the radiator cap after your runs.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Good ideas Splitter. Unfortunately, the tracks around here give you very little cool down time. But that does mean that the gauge should be relatively accurate. At least more accurate than the one in the car that never moves.

What is the normal water operating temp for this car anyway? My new gauge makes it look like anything over 210 is too hot, but the water temp gauge in the Z goes all the way up to 300 without any indicators of what is too hot.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Splitter

212 is the boiling point of water without antifreeze in it or a pressurised cap.

I used to run up to 220 before calling it quits, but you could probably go 240 before things start to boil. Not that that is safe, just is when things go from bad to worse.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Splitter
I'm a little late to the party, but oil temp is not reported via OBD in a 370 or a G, it runs on the CANBUS only, so you need to install an oil temp sender unit, usually a sandwich plate on the oil filter is what most folks go for, but that could be a tall ask with the cooler sandwich plate already installed and lack of clearance for the filter.
This is incorrect. You can get oil temp off the OBD. I do it. You need the torque app (paid version). The Advanced EX for Infiniti or Advanced EX for Nissan plugin for torque (paid version). Setup and choose the correct engine.

Then look for VVT temp in torque. You have an oil temp gauge for just a few dollars.

For oil pressure you need a proper gauge setup though.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Splitter

Wow, that's great info, thanks!

I have the full version of torque as well as other OBD apps and when I went through what I thought was the full list for each of them oil temp is always not an available channel. I had no idea about these external plug-ins tho. Seems a bit of a cop-out to pay $5 for the app and then another $5 to get all the sensors.

Is there any way to get the PID configuration out of the setup file to be able to link the sensor with other apps?

Last edited by Splitter; 01-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:50 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Looks like I have a few projects to work on...

Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Looks like I have a few projects to work on...

Gear oil, I get. I wonder what could be breadbox-sized from Z1? Motor mounts, maybe?

No wait, at least two of those boxes are from Z1, and there's a coupler screen-printed with Z1 on the left.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Splitter

Gear oil means diff cover. I see silicon hoses on the left and what could be diff mounts on the right, but that's more a deduction than I can make out what's in the plastic.

What else are we missing, or are the number of boxes decieving?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Given his predilection for course tracks, I wouldn't be surprised if Z1's new MC brace is in one of those boxes. Of course, Z1 sells everything G/Z under the sun, so assuming in-house products is a stretch.

All right, 4DRZ... spill it!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
It's a Z1 Intake for the couplers.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Sorry, I have been a little busy with work and the car lately. You guys are all really good at guessing. So far you have nailed the diff cover, rear diff bushings, intake, and Rochester- nice work on the left field guess of MC brace. There are a few more parts hiding in the boxes, but I'll keep you up to date as the car progresses.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Sorry, I have been a little busy with work and the car lately. You guys are all really good at guessing. So far you have nailed the diff cover, rear diff bushings, intake, and Rochester- nice work on the left field guess of MC brace. There are a few more parts hiding in the boxes, but I'll keep you up to date as the car progresses.
That MC brace is a niche item. I'm not particularly interested in it myself, but from what I've read, it should be right up your alley.

No Z1 engine mounts yet? Pretty sure that makes my list someday, but still years out. I've picked up an interweb opinion that the transmission mount is more a source of NVH than the engine mounts... which my own conventional wisdom would think otherwise, but I've already been wrong twice today.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
That MC brace is a niche item. I'm not particularly interested in it myself, but from what I've read, it should be right up your alley.

No Z1 engine mounts yet? Pretty sure that makes my list someday, but still years out. I've picked up an interweb opinion that the transmission mount is more a source of NVH than the engine mounts... which my own conventional wisdom would think otherwise, but I've already been wrong twice today.
Rochester was wrong about something?!? Am I in an alternate universe?

I agree about the master cylinder brace. It is not really necessary for street use, but it usually firms the pedal up very nicely. I have had one of these on all of my previous cars and it always helps inspire a bit of confidence when you are trying to scrub off 100mph in just a couple seconds for a corner on track. I am just not looking forward to the installation because I have big hands and it looks like I will need to be double jointed for the install.

No Z1 engine mounts yet. There is a guy on here who got a set and I am just waiting to hear his review before I get a set. That is good to hear about the trans. mount producing more NVH than the engine mounts since it I barely even notice it with my Stillen exhaust. I am sure these intakes will do a good job of drowning out the engine mount NVH.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan