Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
Gorgeous car. I have always loved TSWs style. A lot of their wheels are very classy with affordable quality. You've done a great job and I love the theme here
Thanks man! I always try to make my cars into classy & clean sleepers. I would much rather have a car that handles well and goes fast rather than one that just looks fast.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
++++1 amen brother
Old 05-13-2016, 12:34 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
How do you like the RE-71Rs 4DRZ?

Do you DD on them?

Wet grip?

Thanks....
Old 05-13-2016, 12:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I had a chance to install the Moog front end links to get rid of my clunking issue. They seem to be beefier than stock, but only time will really tell. When I talked to the parts distributor he told me they were much beefier than stock and perfect for my Hotchkiss sway bars & Tein Basis suspension for track days. When I got the parts there was a big disclaimer on the box that they are not intended to be used with any aftermarket suspension components or any type of racing.

The parts installed very easily with a lift, but bring plenty of wrenches because all the nuts are different sizes. They also come with zerk fittings so you can grease them when you do oil changes. The zerk fittings come threaded, but the endlinks do not have any threads. Not to worry, they twist in pretty easily with a wrench.

So far they seem to hold up well, keep the alignment in check, and bring back the response to my steering. My RF OEM endlink that went bad was tough to diagnose because you could only get it to make noise while it was on the ground. It made the steering slopping and the alignment kept changing as the bearings kept giving out.

Driver side

Passenger side

Stock units that got replaced

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
How do you like the RE-71Rs 4DRZ?

Do you DD on them?

Wet grip?

Thanks....
The tires are great for my use, but overkill if you are just planning on daily driving. Very sticky on track as I am pretty sure I set a new lap record for 4DR RWD cars at USAIR(had to take out a few M3's). I had a set of RE-11's on my last car and these are just a bit stickier on track.

I daily drive them and they work just fine for me. They are a little louder than stock, but part of that is because they never quite wear evenly on the track. I really do not even notice the noise because of my exhaust. They might be too loud if you keep everything else stock, but then you probably would not even consider these tires if you are keeping the car stock and just using it on the street.

I was a little leary about the wet weather grip due to the tread design, but so far so good. They are pretty predictable in the wet. I thought I was going to be sliding around a lot more with these in the rain than I actually do.
ColumbiaSkinny (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The tires are great for my use, but overkill if you are just planning on daily driving. Very sticky on track as I am pretty sure I set a new lap record for 4DR RWD cars at USAIR(had to take out a few M3's). I had a set of RE-11's on my last car and these are just a bit stickier on track.

I daily drive them and they work just fine for me. They are a little louder than stock, but part of that is because they never quite wear evenly on the track. I really do not even notice the noise because of my exhaust. They might be too loud if you keep everything else stock, but then you probably would not even consider these tires if you are keeping the car stock and just using it on the street.

I was a little leary about the wet weather grip due to the tread design, but so far so good. They are pretty predictable in the wet. I thought I was going to be sliding around a lot more with these in the rain than I actually do.
As long as summer performance tires don't sound like 35" mud hogs i can put up with most anything (i have a FI CBE so it helps). I really REALLY like the PSS, but when i take my car to the track after getting a few more things done i'll be looking to go with some stickier tires for just tracking.

Thanks for the info and sweet G (which goes without saying)....
Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Falker11
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
From where did you source the endlinks? I may be doing this soon as well.

did you just do the fronts, or rears as well?
Old 05-14-2016, 10:34 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

As long as summer performance tires don't sound like 35" mud hogs i can put up with most anything (i have a FI CBE so it helps). I really REALLY like the PSS, but when i take my car to the track after getting a few more things done i'll be looking to go with some stickier tires for just tracking.

Thanks for the info and sweet G (which goes without saying)....
Thanks! I think the RE-71R's will be plenty quiet for you until you start tracking it and wearing them unevenly. Even then, they will still be quieter than those 35" truck tires.

I am surprised so many people still consider the PSS tires. They are ok on the street, but a really old tire- like 3 generations of tire tech old so no where near as sticky as newer tires. They are not even in the same performance category as the RE-71R or even the old RE-11. Michelin even makes a number of stickier tires than the PSS so I would skip that one if you are doing track days.

Originally Posted by Falker11
From where did you source the endlinks? I may be doing this soon as well.

did you just do the fronts, or rears as well?
I just did a search for Moog endlinks and Auto Parts Warehouse had good pricing so I ordered them online. I think they were about $44ea. side. I just did the front for now.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:53 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

I plan on going with a separate set up for the track. I love the PSS as DD tire. IMO they're wet grip and strong sidewalls separate them from a lot of other summer tires. And they'll get better tread life than an extreme summer tire that have a way softer compound. But yeah, i don't want to track them and have them wear unevenly then go back to using them as a DD tire.

The RE-11s are/were another tire i'm considering. But i've read nothing but great reviews about the 71Rs and people preferring them over the 11s....
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I plan on going with a separate set up for the track. I love the PSS as DD tire. IMO they're wet grip and strong sidewalls separate them from a lot of other summer tires. And they'll get better tread life than an extreme summer tire that have a way softer compound. But yeah, i don't want to track them and have them wear unevenly then go back to using them as a DD tire.

The RE-11s are/were another tire i'm considering. But i've read nothing but great reviews about the 71Rs and people preferring them over the 11s....
Ok, that makes more sense. Most good summer tires will run circles around the PSS on the track.

I had RE-11's on my last car. They are also very good. I would say the RE-71R's are a little softer and stickier. So you might be a bit quicker at the limit on the RE-71R's, but they will probaby wear a little quicker. Either tire will be good and I don't think you would be disapointed either way.

You really could run either tire on the street every day just fine and the RE-11 would probably be better for that if you only want to get one set of tires.
ColumbiaSkinny (05-14-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 01:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

On Sunday I went to Road America and did a touring event just to make sure that temps were not an issue with the oil cooler like they were with my '11 370Z. So far so good so I think I will be ok to do track days there.

Got to see some pretty cool machines while I was there too...

The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
blnewt (05-18-2016), ColumbiaSkinny (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Oh wow... I've never seen a Lagonda in person. Something about that weird 4dr that always spoke to me. IDK why.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
great write up think I need to jump on those end links as well!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:40 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh wow... I've never seen a Lagonda in person. Something about that weird 4dr that always spoke to me. IDK why.
It is the first one I have seen up close and it is even more weird in person than in pics. It looks like a boat mated with a dust buster. Not terribly attractive, but definitely unique. I am reminded of the old Seinfield episode where Elaine describes the ugly baby as "breath taking."

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
great write up think I need to jump on those end links as well!
So far so good. Fingers crossed as I do more track days...
Old 05-28-2016, 12:55 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
I had moog on my 2jz gs300 for about 2 years, they never gave me any problems.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan