Build Threads

Ryne's Graphite Shadow AWD G37 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:29 PM
JPat94
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looks good, man! You're doing so much in such little time. I like it, haha. I think I'm gonna get the headlights sent out and painted on mine and the akebono's on next. Did you do the brake swap or did you have someone else do it? What do you plan on doing next?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:02 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Only the convertible has ventilated seats
Some coupes have them. I would guess it was an expensive option, I was interested in retrofitting my Sport seats to ventilated style.

Last edited by miketyler; 04-27-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by JPat94
Looks good, man! You're doing so much in such little time. I like it, haha. I think I'm gonna get the headlights sent out and painted on mine and the akebono's on next. Did you do the brake swap or did you have someone else do it? What do you plan on doing next?
I had the brakes and the Eibach springs/F+R camber kits installed at Project X. I need to install the spoiler and get tints next. Also, I think I am going to get spacers to hold me over until I can decide on new wheels.

Originally Posted by miketyler
Some coupes have them. I would guess it was an expensive option, I was interested in retrofitting my Sport seats to ventilated style.
There was never an option for cooled seats in any year or trim of the coupe, only the convertible. If you have ever seen it, it was something that was added aftermarket.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 AM
JPat94
Registered Member

What rotors and pads did you get? OEM? I'm looking to do the BBK asap. The only wheels that even appeal to me are the wheels you have on now (let me know when you get new ones, lol), and Niche Targa wheels. They look pretty awesome.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

What rotors and pads did you get? OEM? I'm looking to do the BBK asap. The only wheels that even appeal to me are the wheels you have on now (let me know when you get new ones, lol), and Niche Targa wheels. They look pretty awesome.
I wanted to have an OEM braking feel and definitely NO squealing so I went the safe route. I got centric premium blanks, Akebono Pro ACT pads, and Centric Hardware. Here is my receipt:

Name:  rockauto_zps65a58ec5.png
Views: 1389
Size:  19.3 KB

I can't stand the Stoptech drilled and slotted design where the rust ring covers some of the drill holes and slots, so that wasn't even an option for me. Even if you paint it black I still think it looks sloppy and poorly designed. I also feel like the OEM rotors are plagued with warping, so I didn't go that route either. I went with the Akebono Pro ACT over OEM because the OEM pads do not come with shims, you have to buy the OEM hardware at about $50 an axle, plus the Pro ACT are a performance upgrade and come with shims molded to the pad. Honestly, with the setup I bought, its like OEM+. I could easily brake hard enough to trigger ABS if I wanted to and I haven't heard a peep from them yet, even though you would expect to hear a little noise when they are new. You 100% NEED to buy shorter banjo bolts to use your stock brake lines. I couldn't find anything on this forum that made it clear what was needed, so here is what I bought (you need to buy 4 sets):

Technafit Banjo Bolt w/ Washers for Akebono / Brembo Caliper - Nissan performance parts

So basically I paid:

$900 - calipers (new)
$400 - rotors, pads, hardware
$25 - shorter banjo bolts
----------------------------------
$1325 for the parts

Last edited by Ryne; 04-28-2014 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dawg (09-14-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
rhdh104

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What are you lowered on..?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by rhdh104
What are you lowered on..?
Eibach Pro-Kit 6394.140 with SPC Front and Rear Camber/Toe Kits

I have a dead even drop at 27" all around.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Not even close

Name:  photo_zps0f69611b.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  48.7 KB
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM
JPat94
Registered Member

This is what I was looking at from the same website. Seems like it comes with everything. Akebono Infiniti Front and Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Upgrade Kit 07-08 G35 Sedan, 09+ G37 Sedan, and 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 - performance parts

I was thinking on doing the Centric Black/Silver Zinc slotted rotors with centric posi-quiet brake pads. Any opinions on those at all? That is a tight fit for those wheels.. hahaha
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

This is what I was looking at from the same website. Seems like it comes with everything. Akebono Infiniti Front and Rear 14 Inch Big Brake Upgrade Kit 07-08 G35 Sedan, 09+ G37 Sedan, and 08+ G37 Coupe CV36 - performance parts

I was thinking on doing the Centric Black/Silver Zinc slotted rotors with centric posi-quiet brake pads. Any opinions on those at all? That is a tight fit for those wheels.. hahaha
I have heard mixed reviews on the Posi Quiet pads. Some are happy, other say they have less stopping power than OEM. For some reason I'm a big fan of blank rotors on the G. I think it's something about the clean lines of the car. Maybe it's the fact that I know there is a significantly smaller chance I will be plagued with brake squeal or cracking. This mostly comes down to personal preferance though. I can only attest to the Centric 120 series rotor with the Black E-Coat finish and they are of the highest quality. You can piece together the kit yourself and probably save a few dollars while getting higher quality parts. I would recommend you browse RockAuto for pads/rotors/hardware and InfinitiPartsUSA for the calipers.

Here is InfinitiPartsUSA price for the calipers:
Name:  calipers_zpscc113b2d.png
Views: 1403
Size:  28.4 KB

Last edited by Ryne; 04-28-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
I have heard mixed reviews on the Posi Quiet pads. Some are happy, other say they have less stopping power than OEM. For some reason I'm a big fan of blank rotors on the G. I think it's something about the clean lines of the car. Maybe it's the fact that I know there is a significantly smaller chance I will be plagued with brake squeal or cracking. This mostly comes down to personal preferance though. I can only attest to the Centric 120 series rotor with the Black E-Coat finish and they are of the highest quality. You can piece together the kit yourself and probably save a few dollars while getting higher quality parts. I would recommend you browse RockAuto for pads/rotors/hardware and InfinitiPartsUSA for the calipers.

Here is InfinitiPartsUSA price for the calipers:
Here' the list of part #s if you want to cross shop a few sites, this would be awesome if you could get a nice price and find one of those 20% discounts floating around on a couple sites. BTW, some of the parts #s have been updates but it should show you which ones.
Akebono Big Brake Kit Part Numbers
Old 04-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here' the list of part #s if you want to cross shop a few sites, this would be awesome if you could get a nice price and find one of those 20% discounts floating around on a couple sites. BTW, some of the parts #s have been updates but it should show you which ones.
Akebono Big Brake Kit Part Numbers
The only 20% off coupon code I have ever seen was for accessory parts. I have inquired about that discount with a few websites and it was a no go on the Akebono BBK for every one. That would be silly cheap for the calipers, I would be tempted to buy a second set at that price, lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Yay! My drop is even @ 27" all around.

Front:
Name:  securedownload-1_zps1b0552ea.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  44.5 KB

Rear:
Name:  securedownload_zpsd6b30429.jpg
Views: 1404
Size:  43.7 KB

Note to any observant members: Yes, I know I didn't have to label front and rear but I have learned in life that you can never be too clear, lol.

Note to very observant members: Yes, I posted this in another thread to help a member.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Thanks! The Akebono BBK is very tight with my 18" stock wheels, but I think people would be happy to know that they fit without spacers. You don't even need to grind down the caliper!!!
Thanks for sharing this as I run the same 18's w/ Mich x-ice3's for winter.

I'm lowering on swifts and koni yellows this week myself and debating whether to go with a LSD swap in from a 2011 sport coupe that I found at the local wrecker..or purchase all the bits and cobble together a BBK. The LSD route is cheaper, and I definitely miss having one coming from a s2k. OEM brakes seems to be doing just fine for my liking and stopping my heavy cast staggered cv1's (for now, lol). I have no doubt Akebono's will eventually go on, but with some other config of rotors/pads than stock.

Nice to see another KAD coupe from the midwest.. I believe graphite shadow was only offered '11+, I could be wrong.

Subbed to thread, in to see more inevitable mod's
Old 04-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by krazyfiend
Thanks for sharing this as I run the same 18's w/ Mich x-ice3's for winter.

I'm lowering on swifts and koni yellows this week myself and debating whether to go with a LSD swap in from a 2011 sport coupe that I found at the local wrecker..or purchase all the bits and cobble together a BBK. The LSD route is cheaper, and I definitely miss having one coming from a s2k. OEM brakes seems to be doing just fine for my liking and stopping my heavy cast staggered cv1's (for now, lol). I have no doubt Akebono's will eventually go on, but with some other config of rotors/pads than stock.

Nice to see another KAD coupe from the midwest.. I believe graphite shadow was only offered '11+, I could be wrong.

Subbed to thread, in to see more inevitable mod's
Thanks!, I definitely don't see this as the end of my mods... well it can't be since I still have parts laying around, lol.

I believe Graphite Shadow was introduced in 2010. The color was introduced alongside the Aero/IPL, becoming the newest gray color. Previous grays were platinum graphite and amethyst graphite.

The CV1 wheels are one of my favorite, definitely a wheel I am considering. The braking power is not night and day difference with the Akebono, there is just much more control and stability. Don't get me wrong, these brakes will stop the car much quicker than any of your passengers would be comfortable with, but there is much more gained in pedal control and feel opposed to all out stopping power. Good luck with the Koni/Swift setup, let me know how it turns out!

Quick Reply: Ryne's Graphite Shadow AWD G37 Coupe