Build Threads

ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyHTX
^ Yeah I definitely will clear bra it when I get it resprayed.

childstar absolutely killing it these days though. Mad props to him!
Carbon Signal AAM twin turbo - YouTube

Agree 100%!!! Those pics by Childstar are amazing!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Sounds really good tony.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:01 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
So for the last 3.5 weeks or so my car has been in lingo because it was creating huge plumes of smoke and spewing oil out of the turbos into the downpipes at idle. If you look back at the childstar pictures and video you should notice it.

This was quite puzzling and frustrating for Ron (the mad scientist behind the build) as he, in his opinion, did one of the best jobs he has ever done on the VQ platform. He triple and quadruple checked everything and came to the conclusion that I had a bad set of turbos. We spent a good 2 weeks or so trying to get AAM's assistance in solving the issue. Unfortunately those efforts didn't culminate.

Eventually Johnny (owner of the shop and the tuner) said he thought it was the oil return lines. The way the system is designed the oil return lines are gravity fed into the oil pan spacer. His theory was that at idle the oil was sloshing around the top and just sitting at the bottom of the pan which meant that gravity was not enough to push the oil in the return lines through the stagnant oil at the bottom of the pan. He recommended we try a Turbowerks Exa-Pump to scavenge the oil out of the return lines and push it through. This is the pump that they use on their low mount turbo kits and even though they usually haven't needed to run any scavenge pumps on TT kits before he thought this would surely solve my issue.

As much as I respect the knowledge and wisdom of Ron's 20+ years of experience in building racecars, a part of me was praying that the turbos were not bad and that we could get the car up and running so I told them to go ahead and try the Exa-Pump. Also, at this point AAM was not being very helpful beyond telling us that they have installed over 20 kits with no smoking issues.

I felt like this was the 'last chance' to get the car running and not having to pull everything out. That was a headache none of us wanted to experience.

While the Exa-Pump was on order, Johnny started piecing together my new exhaust. As much as I loved the Ark exhaust I felt 2.5" piping would become a hindrance to the build in the future and wanted to do a 3" exhaust.

Magnaflow 3" in/3" out X muffler

One thing I did keep from the Ark exhaust were the tips, I love them too much. I may have the resonators cut off and put on as well in the future.

Earlier this week the Exa-Pump came in and was installed. Fingers were crossed and the car was started with absolutely no smoking at all!

Finally after weeks the car was up and running! All is good right? Let's give it a few revs to make sure.. But after a few revs the car had no throttle response... Murphy's law all over my build!

Out comes the parts to start the diagnosis.

Turns out the timing chain skipped a tooth.. The tensioner was 90k miles old so it may have just given up.

The next few days and yesterday morning were spent putting everything back together..

I want to back up for a moment now and say that my friends over at Mayday Garage had an exhibition/car show called Rice Bowl planned for 4/4/2015 (yesterday). When they were planning the event back in January they had asked me to have my car present to which I gladly agreed. I had let Jtran know that I really wanted to make this event to help support my friends in their first endeavor. However, Ron and his meticulous nature is not one to be rushed and will tell you to eff off if you try to rush him.

Thanks to the past 5 months I fully understand that builds of this caliber take time and gladly accepted that my car was not going to make it to the event. So what if I miss my friend's first show right? I know they will be successful and there will always be a next one.

Anyway, yesterday at about 9am we were pouring liquids in and about to start the car again. It felt like deja vu as we were doing these exact same things a month before.

The second 'first start' with no smoking!

At this point Johnny turns to me and says "Once we button this up, I'm putting it on the dyno for your base tune and you are going to the show."

Wait, what!?

On the dyno getting it's base tune.

This is a low boost base tune only, once I have broken the motor in and gotten a few more things for my fuel system I will be switching to E85 and seeing what she can really do.

By this time it was 12:25pm and everyone had already rolled into the show which was to open to the public at 2:00pm. I had to call my friends and beg them to hold the gate open for me to bring the car in. They said if I could be there in 40 minutes they would hold the gate.

The car went out front for a quick wash by chreeno with even Amber helping out!

We didn't even dry the car, I just hopped in it with my friend and high tailed it to the show. We arrived at exactly 1:45pm, only 15 minutes before the doors opened.

I'm so ecstatic right now that I can't stop smiling.

I want to thank everyone at the Jtran Motorsports family from the bottom of my heart for putting in so much work and effort into this project.

Last edited by ttv36; 04-06-2015 at 10:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ttv36:
blnewt (04-07-2015), Nothin2Somethin (04-05-2015), SlickVic (04-05-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Nothin2Somethin

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Im glad things seem to be working out for you Tony. It can definitely be a little frustrating and disheartening when you think your car is going to be down for another X amount of days when all you want to do is drive the thing lol. Nice initial numbers, that e85 tune you should easily make 600-650 whp. Get us some more videos after the motor is broken in, turbo spool = win lol. Awesome build once again man. Can't wait to go boost.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:08 PM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow.. What a sick build. Car sounds amazing on the dyno. Great build overall.

You have to post some videos. 0-60 / 1/4 / Drive Bys.

Invest in a GO PRO and do not hold back on us, lol.

Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:48 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Tony, your car sounds sick my friend! Can we get some more videos of the exhaust sound when you get some free time? From the video rolling into the show, it sounds very GT-R like and I'm a giant fan of the the GT-R sound.

VERY, VERY NICE! I'm guessing that you're 6MT, yes?

That is tons of power for low boost! How many psi? Any internal mods to the engine?

Last edited by twin_snails; 04-07-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:05 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Yes the car is 6MT, it is around 10psi of boost. The long block was fully built - the key highlights for the internals would be Arias 10:1 Pistons, Carillo rods, ARP Main studs, Cosworth Head Studs, and HKS head gasket.

I've only driven the car two nights now but do plan on getting a GoPro Hero4 Black to get some 4k content to watch!
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-16-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Un-freaking-believable. I just don't even know what to say. Insane man...just wickedly insane. Delicious beyond all types of deliciousness.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM
R3diK3r0u5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy crap

dang Tony, you've been putting in some work! Your baby isn't even recognizable from the last time I saw you. I'm excited to start modding again.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Yeah it has changed a lot even in just the past year! I've had the same goal since I purchased it back in 2009 (or was it 2010?) - I just had too much debt and too little means back then.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:15 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Weekly checkup and playing with pop pops.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:53 AM
04G35NYC
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sick build. What did you do with your old exhaust ?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:13 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Old exhaust we hacked up to fit the tips on the new exhaust. Also will eventually add the helmholtz resonators.

Getting wet this past Saturday

Last edited by ttv36; 04-13-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:54 AM
crispy_11

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
So happy I read through all thirteen pages of progress...this car is really something else man. She sounds insane!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Thanks for the Tweety-birds clip, that's one helluva beast you're putting together Tony, a much bigger thumbs up than this

Quick Reply: ttv36 - 700+ rwhp Sedan Build Thread