Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Brake Pedal not returning Fully after emergency stop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Lowton
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Pedal not returning Fully after emergency stop.

I had a person pull out in front of me, causing me to slam on the brakes. After that the car had no power like it was in a limp mode. (No CEL or other lights on) After tons of searching internet and the forums, I checked and sure enough my brake lights are on, so car thinks I am hitting the brakes while driving, reducing power. If I hold the pedal up, power returns. The pedal feels "loose" at the top. Is there an adjustment to bring the pedal up to contact the brake light and other sensor, it seems there are two switches at the top, unsure if either are being contacted. I find it hard to believe that i could break or bend something by slamming on the brakes. It does look like there is an adjustment nut on the shaft to the booster, Was hoping to find an easy fix. Thanks for any help. Oh, 2013 G37xS sedan.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Your abs system locked up unplug the battery for 30 mins should clear your issue
Old 09-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Lowton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Your abs system locked up unplug the battery for 30 mins should clear your issue
I wish that is all that is necessary, I can physically pull Up on the brake pedal and the brake lights turn off and cruise works, when I let go it falls down a fraction of an inch, but disconnects from switches and falls back into the low RPM, like I am pressing brake and gas. I am hoping there is a adjustment that can be performed to bring pedal back to top when released or maybe something is out of place, it looks fine, just a bit of slop at the top

Thank you
Old 01-21-2020, 03:56 PM
SrtUltr
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lowton
I wish that is all that is necessary, I can physically pull Up on the brake pedal and the brake lights turn off and cruise works, when I let go it falls down a fraction of an inch, but disconnects from switches and falls back into the low RPM, like I am pressing brake and gas. I am hoping there is a adjustment that can be performed to bring pedal back to top when released or maybe something is out of place, it looks fine, just a bit of slop at the top

Thank you
Same exact situation, same make model year, happened to me this morning. Any updates on a fix?
Old 01-21-2020, 04:10 PM
Lowton
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SrtUltr
Same exact situation, same make model year, happened to me this morning. Any updates on a fix?
nothing official. But I was able to add some pads to spot on pedal so have been able to drive. Recently though I have to lift on pedal for cruise control to work. I did find the full service manual online and there is a procedure to adjust pedal height and slack as well as a tolerance measurement. Just haven’t had time or weather to climb under dash.
The following users liked this post:
SrtUltr (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 05:15 PM
SrtUltr
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lowton
nothing official. But I was able to add some pads to spot on pedal so have been able to drive. Recently though I have to lift on pedal for cruise control to work. I did find the full service manual online and there is a procedure to adjust pedal height and slack as well as a tolerance measurement. Just haven’t had time or weather to climb under dash.

Thanks for the tip about adding some pads I also picked up a new brake pedal switch. But I think you are correct in that the pedal may need a mechanical adjustment.
Lowton (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 07:49 PM
SrtUltr
Registered Member

SOLVED

Looks like replacing the brake pedal switch fixed the issue. The brake pedal no longer feels loose, car is out of limp mode and the brake lights are functioning correctly.

To speculate on what I think happened, after slamming the brakes as hard as I did I think I may have knocked the brake pedal switch down a little bit based on how its installed. The switch installs like a turn signal bulb, insert the switch then quarter turn to lock down. I made sure to pull the switch against the bracket surface as tight as I could before turning it to lockdown. You may possibly be able to use the OEM switch by removing it and reinstalling it close to the bracket surface to get rid of the pedal play.
PNW_IPL (01-21-2020)