Help Newbie - Bought a G37s MT Coupe that needs some service

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:35 PM
taf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie - Bought a G37s MT Coupe that needs some service

Hello,

I've always had my cars serviced regularly through dealership and on schedule. I recently bought a g37s from a friend where save oil changes, he didn't do much with it. It's a 2008 and spent most of it's life in the garage while he drove the family minivan. The car has about 75,000 KMs on it where ~30,000 were added during the first year he bought it.

Overall the car seems to be in great shape but it does have some issues that need to be serviced. I'm lucky to have another friend here who is well versed in performance mods/cars and has patiently gone through the g37 with me. I've also had a used vehicle inspection done at the local Infiniti dealership (Edmonton Alberta) so I'm relatively confident I know what the vehicle's current issues are. My friend also recommended I sign up here to get some help after doing my own research.

I was hoping I could get a confirmation that I'm on the right track with my understanding. In particular, I won't be going through a dealer to service the car and instead I'm hoping to find replacement parts on my own that are at least as good or better than oem. I'm using this as a daily driver, looking for longevity, won't be racing it, and won't be doing anything like lowering the vehicle. To than end, here's what I have so far and where I've done my best to summarize what I've found (it may not be 100% correct):
  1. Left Front Shock Absorber is leaking. Infiniti call's for "Strut" replacements but from my understanding on myg37, they're not actually struts but absorbers. From there, I have the following options as replacements:
    • KYB
      • GR-2/Excel-G. These do not have adjustable stiffness. Apparently very close to OEM feel.
      • AGX. Adjustable stiffness.
      • KYB I think does some OEM for Subaru. Some people mention in general KYB can run stiffer in cold weather.
    • Tokico - Discontinued
      • HB / Blue - Apparently somewhat stiffer ride than stock OEM. Seems most popular from reviews when not looking to lower and on a budget. (Best option for me if I can find them?)
      • Illuminas - Adjustable stiffness.
      • Tokico I think does some OEM for Nissan. Their performance products are stated as somewhat better than provided OEM. Seems was generally more preferred to GR-2s.
    • Koni
      • Yellows - Adjustable stiffness.
      • Seems these are the most preferred option. I didn't look at them as closely as they're also the most expensive and probably overkill for my needs.
    • OEM
      • Come in at about $550 CAD for the pair. Gives me the baseline to work with price wise.
  2. Power Steering is leaking fluid. This one utterly sucks where Infiniti is recommending to replace the entire steering rack ($1613.46 CAD for the part).
    • I did discuss it with the dealership after the inspection and was told it was a definite leak and not a sweating.
    • From reading here and on advice, what I'm going to do is; A) top up the fluid (currently sitting at minimum) and B) monitor the reservoir and see how much mileage before another top up is required.
      • I may not have to do anything and for quite some time potentially. I'll also get some pics when I have the strut work done.
      • Somewhat confusingly the manual says to use only genuine Nissan PSF fluid. The cap then says use Dexron Type ATF. (From forum searches I should be buying Dexron VI ATF right?)
    • I also understand that it may be possible to purchase a refurbished rack ultimately instead of having to buy a new one?
  3. Front and Rear Rotors are pulsating. It's not terrible yet but both the front and rear rotors will need to be replaced. This one I found more confusing as there are almost too many options. Could someone suggest a good place to start looking for comparables? As it stands I have:
    • OEM Front - $325.66 CAD for the pair.
    • OEM Back - $325.66 CAD for the pair.
Does this seem like a good overall synopsis and approach? Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Maintenance issues aside, really happy to be driving the g37 which doesn't feel dated at all.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by taf; 01-04-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 PM
taf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah #$&* sorry, this was not meant to be posted under reviews.. I thought I was posting in the Tech forum.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by taf
Ah #$&* sorry, this was not meant to be posted under reviews.. I thought I was posting in the Tech forum.
PM a mod, they can probably move it.
  1. Shocks: LOVE my Koni Yellows
  2. Steering: I'm using Redline PS fluid. Your approach seems reasonable
  3. Rotors: Could probably find aftermarket for cheaper, but I'm somewhat partial to OEM as they are made in Japan/USA vs most other rotors being made in China

Good luck, and congrats on your new car!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:15 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by taf
Click on the blue triangle with the ! in the middle and request your thread be moved. Look below your profile info.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 AM
Snipres

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
For rotors, can deff get cheaper aftermarket such as the stop techs or centrics
Old 01-05-2018, 10:35 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
I replaced my front rotors with a centric set and used stoptech pads and they've been great. I did it myself to save some $$ and it wasn't a terribly difficult install.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Koni or bilstein they both have lifetime defect warranty.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Are the Koni's full dampers or are they cartridges you have to fit into the OE bodies?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Are the Koni's full dampers or are they cartridges you have to fit into the OE bodies?
The 370/G37 is a complete replacement damper.

You don't have to gut the OE shock body like on the WRX/STI, for example.