Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I just hung up the phone with Yuki at CUSCO USA. He said that the installation of the G37 strut tower brace is to be performed with all 4 wheels on level ground and the suspension fully loaded. Cal him at (714) 907-0033. Beware he has a very heavy Japanese accent that may be hard for you to understand. So I made sure to get him to clarify and repeat it more than once to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding him.

Last edited by Black Betty; 06-06-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
Mattlorentzoe (09-16-2015)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Damn, BB went above and beyond for that one! Good looking out BB!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I just hung up the phone with Yuki at CUSCO USA. He said that the installation of the G37 strut tower brace is to be performed with all 4 wheels on level ground and the suspension fully loaded. Cal him at (714) 907-0033. Beware he has a very heavy Japanese accent that may be hard for you to understand. So I made sure to get him to clarify and repeat it more than once to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding him.
Ill give you this one BB. I guess on the G37 it is not neccessary to install the cusco bar wiht the car lifted. I was miss informed because on other cars it is. The way the unibody was made there is no to minimal flex in the strut towers when sitting on the ground. So your good OP!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I just want it done right and for everyone else to know the right way, whichever way it is. Correct info for everyone is much more important than anyone being right. I understand the logic of installing with the suspension unladen but all the instructions that I'm familiar with state to install it with suspension loaded. There must be a reason for that.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
one of these moments....
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qPr-xsQvhgw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just installed my cusco strut bar last week, so good to know. Thanks, BB!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM
37hevn

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just shows cusco doesnt know imo, installed my gt spec on a lift which is the way its suppose to be done like bluestickg was saying. if you watch you car get lifted as it comes off the ground the the strut mounts will get further away from each other. it was the only way we could get mine mounted cuz on the ground it was too close and couldnt squeeze the bar in. being able to install the cusco while your car being on the ground confirms my opinion that the cusco is more show than performance and if people actually got the gt spec they would agree with me that it is better than sway bar upgrade which is what i have found and noticed
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
OB G

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a dumb question...if you have your car lifted when installing the strut brace and you remove the strut mounts at the top, wouldn't the strut fall out? lol
Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 37hevn
just shows cusco doesnt know imo...
Cusco is widely esteemed as one of the premier suspension companies in the world. They are well-reputed for their high quality components and that renown is supported by their track record. That reputation was not built on "show." I'd be willing to bet the representative with whom Jeremy spoke is well-schooled on the components his company manufactures.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by OB G
I have a dumb question...if you have your car lifted when installing the strut brace and you remove the strut mounts at the top, wouldn't the strut fall out? lol
I have to install my GT Spec bar soon, and to my knowledge, just remove the 3 nuts on each side, and place the mounts for the bar with the new nuts over existing top hat bolts.

But I was wondering the same thing that when you lift the car, won't the actually coil assembly drop out a bit?
The following users liked this post:
Al Czervik (11-30-2015)
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
37hevn

Originally Posted by OB G
yea but thats why you change the mounts on the ground then you lift it up
Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by 37hevn
just shows cusco doesnt know imo, installed my gt spec on a lift which is the way its suppose to be done like bluestickg was saying. if you watch you car get lifted as it comes off the ground the the strut mounts will get further away from each other. it was the only way we could get mine mounted cuz on the ground it was too close and couldnt squeeze the bar in. being able to install the cusco while your car being on the ground confirms my opinion that the cusco is more show than performance and if people actually got the gt spec they would agree with me that it is better than sway bar upgrade which is what i have found and noticed
I had GT Spec. I sold it an got Cusco. I didn't notice any particular improvement one over the other. But I have plenty of other bracing to stiffen up the front so the strut bar made the least amount of difference of anything I've done suspension wise IMO. There's not much chassis flex in the front end to begin with on this car. If you think GT Spec is a better product, that's your opinion and more power to you. But if you believe they know more about suspension than Cusco does, and that "Cusco is more show than performance" then I don't value that opinion much. Either you are brand new to imports in general or have been under a rock.

I'd still like to see something from Cusco in writing (in English ) on which is the proper method for installing this part. I couldnt decipher the instruction in Japanese but I didn't see any graphics that indicated one way or the other. Just the manufacturer's representative verbally saying to do it one way and a couple of guys on a forum saying the opposite. Searching the internet has found mostly forum advice (which is often worse than no advice at all) and almost all of it says loaded suspension. Which doesn't necessarily make it right.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
37hevn

like i said as you lift the car the mounts get a little further apart and had to be done in order to install mine. if your able to install a strut bar not lifted the car is already compressed and wont completely stiff. that might be why you didnt notice a difference from the strut bars because you didnt install them with a lift. also i believe you installed your sways first and that prolly stiffened it quite a bit and the strut was then minimal. i did the strut first and sways later and the sways were minimal so in that case im guessing which ever one you do first will have to most effect. (logical) but for those with neither and want to pick which one i suggest the cheaper one lol all good
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the above-and-beyond clarification BB.

I'd think that on level ground, the towers are where they're supposed to be, and the strut brace helps keep them there. If mounted when raised off the suspension, you'd be keeping the towers in not-quite-right position.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
kevshiau
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I just sent GT Spec an email for clarification. Will update once I get a response

Quick Reply: Cusco Strut Tower Brace Installed