Review Tanabe Front / Eibach Rears

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Tanabe Front / Eibach Rears

So I finally joined the tanabach family, only Im reversed what most people have done.

I wanted a mild drop to even out the fender gap and liked the drop of the eibach rear. I like to just be able to see the top of the tread of the tire and have a very very small amount of fender gap and I got it.

My front fender is just a tad over 27 1/4 inches off the ground and my rear fender is just a tad under 27 1/4 inches. Visually, it looks dead on even from the side of the car.

Compared to my stock springs, the Eibach fronts drop the car about 1.5 inches, the tanabe fronts drop the car 1 inch, and the eibach rears drop the car 1/2 inches, and the tanabe rears drop it closer to 3/4 inches. My stock springs were around 28 - 28 1/4 in the front and the rears were 27 1/2 - 27 3/4 in the rear. The front and rear height varied about 1/4 inch.

The car handles and drives just a little firmer than stock and doesnt have as much body roll through corners. The tanabe and eibach's are pretty similar springrates. I debated coilovers, but the cheapest coilovers are 900ish and since I dont plan on autocrossing, I felt that was a lot to pay for height adjustment. Also, since my car is more of a daily driver and weekend driver for road trips, I didnt want to go up to a 10/9 kg spring and have that increase in spring rate.

I know this isnt everyones tastes, as some people like the car slammed, and some people like the car dropped more, but for anyone who wants to drop the car just a little to even out the fender gap and not have the slammed look, I think this is the best combination. Plus, since this combination is the mildest drop, you probably wont need an alignment and your stock shocks wont wear out as fast as they would with other springs. Also, I dont notice the "tucked in" look with the stock rims and tires as much as I did with the Eibachs.

The Eibach fronts and tanabe rears would also be a very good combination, as a few people already have put on their car. It would also even out the fender gap but the drop would be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch more than the tanabe fronts and eibach rears.

For comparison, my eibach fronts were just a tad over 26 1/2 inches when I took them off.

Tanabe Fronts:

Eibach Rears:

Current Stance:

And for reference, heres my car with Eibach's on the front and the rear. You can see how tucked in and lower the front is than the rear.

And for more reference, here is jedmonds car with eibach fronts and tanabe rears, which is the opposite combo of what I did, but is a very nice and even looking drop:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ings-rear.html

Last edited by philter25; 01-15-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
heff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good man i love how the tanabes lower the front more than the eibach fronts, looks silly if u have all eibachs lol
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by heff
looks good man i love how the tanabes lower the front more than the eibach fronts, looks silly if u have all eibachs lol
You don't sound like you read the thread but did you even read the thread title? LOL

Tanabe's lower the front LESS than the rears, and he went with Tanabe fronts coz he thought Eibach fronts are too low for the rears lol
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
heff

^ lol i didnt read it at all, i always thought the tanabes lowered the front more than the eibach fronts and the eibach rears lowered more than the tanabe rears?? soooooo sorry sam : P its been a long day!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by heff
^ lol i didnt read it at all, i always thought the tanabes lowered the front more than the eibach fronts and the eibach rears lowered more than the tanabe rears?? soooooo sorry sam : P its been a long day!
so does the tanabe lower the rear more and the eibach lowers the front more or does the tanabe lower the front more and the eibach lowers the rear more... what lowers what... lol... i always thought the tanabes were lower than the eibach both front and rear.. so is the tanabe slightly lower in the rear than the eibachs or is the tanabe slightly lower in the front than the eibach....or the other way around.

the drop looks good... very even looking!! nice
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoodname
so does the tanabe lower the rear more and the eibach lowers the front more or does the tanabe lower the front more and the eibach lowers the rear more... what lowers what... lol

the drop looks good... very even looking!! nice
Eibach lowers front more.

Tanabe lowers rear more.

Nogood = Noob
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by Gamedog
Eibach lowers front more.

Tanabe lowers rear more.

Nogood = Noob
lol... was just teasing heff
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
philter25

u guys funny.

I tried to noob-proof it by giving the rough drop on each set both front and rear springs in inches. I fail.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
Looking gd. Sent you a PM on your eibach fronts.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 PM
hawkeye98

Great set-up! Do you drive your car in the snow? If so, any issue w/ snow build-up in the wheel well given the lower stance? I have a G37xS and am looking to lower it w/ springs (by approx 1 inch), but am a little concerned w/ build up of snow/ice in the wells after lowering. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:47 PM
philter25

Originally Posted by hawkeye98
Great set-up! Do you drive your car in the snow? If so, any issue w/ snow build-up in the wheel well given the lower stance? I have a G37xS and am looking to lower it w/ springs (by approx 1 inch), but am a little concerned w/ build up of snow/ice in the wells after lowering. Thanks.
We got the blizzard of 09 a few weeks ago, but I just put the tanabes on the front last week. Also, this car is our "weekend" car. We have a 4WD RAV4 which we drive around when its snowing, so I have never taken my car out in the snow.

You might want to search and see if anyone with the tanabe nf210 springs has had an issue with snow buildup, although IMO, if its snowing enough, even if you are on the stock springs, if the snow is good packing snow, its going to get built up in your wheel gap.

I guess the answer to your question depends on how much wheel gap you have, how much snow you are driving in, and if its good packing snow or if its more melty snow.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
philter25

I just measured the other day after a long drive with a lot of twisties after letting the car sit in the driveway for awhile, both the front and rear fender are sitting at 27 1/8 inches. Dead on perfect.

If you want a mild drop that evens out the fender gaps, this is the way to go.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
G_rev

Hmm that's interesting... Didn't know you can do that. But then again I never thought of it. Which model tanabes are those... didn't think i saw it on the post.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM
g37RN

Spend the money one time and get coil overs. Easiest way to make yourself happy and you can adjust the shock compression.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by philter25
So I finally joined the tanabach family, only Im reversed what most people have done.

I wanted a mild drop to even out the fender gap and liked the drop of the eibach rear. I like to just be able to see the top of the tread of the tire and have a very very small amount of fender gap and I got it.

My front fender is just a tad over 27 1/4 inches off the ground and my rear fender is just a tad under 27 1/4 inches. Visually, it looks dead on even from the side of the car.

The car handles and drives just a little firmer than stock and doesnt have as much body roll through corners. The tanabe and eibach's are pretty similar springrates. I debated coilovers, but the cheapest coilovers are 900ish and since I dont plan on autocrossing, I felt that was a lot to pay for height adjustment. Also, since my car is more of a daily driver and weekend driver for road trips, I didnt want to go up to a 10/9 kg spring and have that increase in spring rate.

The Eibach fronts and tanabe rears would also be a very good combination, as a few people already have put on their car. It would also even out the fender gap but the drop would be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch more than the tanabe fronts and eibach rears.

For comparison, my eibach fronts were just a tad over 26 1/2 inches when I took them off.

Current Stance:

To me, that is perfect! I don't get the whole slamming thing and rubbing tires. The above looks great and is what I will look at. I would have some concerns about snow but this car sucks in the snow anyway.

Any chance you could share part/model numbers and prices?

Thanks!

Shane D

Quick Reply: Review Tanabe Front / Eibach Rears