vdc and slip light is on

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 10:29 PM
adrianbf
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah the buttons light up. To update, the lights appeared when I turned the steering wheel clockwise. I took my steering wheel out again to align it properly and decided to turn the clockspring counterclockwise just to see if that would do anything. The slip and VDC lights don't come on when I turn too far anymore and my reverse camera seems to be aligned properly too. BUT the lights do come on at the same time my ABS and brake light come on when driving now. I'm changing brake lines, fluid and pads in a few days so we'll see if that helps out because I've seen some people recommend to check the brake master cylinder and pads. With what I said would you still think the SAS has anything to do with it? My AFS light would also flash before but has stopped after I meddled today.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Let's see if I can clarify/ simplify this somewhat...

1) If the camera guidelines sweep as you turn the steering wheel, then the SAS is fine.
2) If the steering wheel switches light up at night, the SRS clockspring is likely fine, BUT
2a) if the switches (volume/cruise/etc.) do not work at all, then the issue could be with the clockspring OR a separate issue downstream (more likely).

Without a multimeter (or even a test light) testing each circuit within the clockspring and other circuit pathways downstream becomes difficult. Typically, if you snapped the clockspring reel, nothing on the steering wheel works.

Complete your full brake job and then go from there.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:02 PM
adrianbf
Registered Member

Okay guess that settles it. I'm going to get a multimeter. Just for preparation what instructions do i need to follow to check the issue?
Old 08-19-2021, 12:49 AM
adrianbf
Registered Member

Finally got to installing the new part. Luckily my buttons work now! Unfortunately, the lights keep popping up so i still need to figure out what's up with that :/
Old 01-17-2022, 10:27 AM
Mewsikmaker
Registered Member

Has anyone found out the cause?

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Your brake fluid is low. Fill it up and it will go away.
has anyone here determined the cause of this? It’s happening to me, brake fluid isn’t FULL but not too low.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:25 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Coming from a 4WAS car, you can try to set the steering angle using your reverse camera however even when I did and hooked up the scanner to set it it was off.
Meaning no matter what I did the next tooth for the spline is too off, a real reset would require a scanner.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:52 PM
Mewsikmaker
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Coming from a 4WAS car, you can try to set the steering angle using your reverse camera however even when I did and hooked up the scanner to set it it was off.
Meaning no matter what I did the next tooth for the spline is too off, a real reset would require a scanner.

i was asking about the traction and brake lights coming on. Did I post in the wrong area? I’m using my cell at work and I’m not too great at this yet :/
Old 01-18-2022, 05:37 AM
x818ray
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mewsikmaker
has anyone here determined the cause of this? It’s happening to me, brake fluid isn’t FULL but not too low.
Yes. Our car is picky about it's brake fluid level. Top it off and you'll be fine. It's worked for 85% of people judging by this thread and many others like it going back 10yrs that I can remember. Worked for me.

Bull is talking about the clock spring and steering angle sensor. When it goes bad (rarely) it ALSO throws VDC and SLIP or traction lights. The other 15% of people.... Usually happens when messing with the steering wheel/shaft and rack and pinion. Sometimes after an alignment. I broke the clock spring when installing High Flow Cats. I over rotated the steering wheel after disconnecting the steering shaft on a hard to reach catalyst bolt. Unlike Bull, I was able to align everything using my backup camera, steering shaft and steering wheel splines.

Last edited by x818ray; 01-18-2022 at 05:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mewsikmaker (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 06:47 AM
Mewsikmaker
Registered Member

Originally Posted by x818ray
Yes. Our car is picky about it's brake fluid level. Top it off and you'll be fine. It's worked for 85% of people judging by this thread and many others like it going back 10yrs that I can remember. Worked for me.

Bull is talking about the clock spring and steering angle sensor. When it goes bad (rarely) it ALSO throws VDC and SLIP or traction lights. The other 15% of people.... Usually happens when messing with the steering wheel/shaft and rack and pinion. Sometimes after an alignment. I broke the clock spring when installing High Flow Cats. I over rotated the steering wheel after disconnecting the steering shaft on a hard to reach catalyst bolt. Unlike Bull, I was able to align everything using my backup camera, steering shaft and steering wheel splines.

i can’t tell you how good that is to read at this point. Thank you, I’ll give it a shot!
Old 02-19-2022, 12:41 AM
StIdes40
Registered Member

So I just had this problem happen with my car (2008 G37s coupe) about 2 hours ago (slip, vdc and abs lights on) . I got stuck in the snow and a couple buddies tried to push me out doing the "rock and accelerate". Do you think the rocking back and forth messed up my brake fluid reading? I checked the level and I'm not at full. Brake pads are fine. Lights stay on even after restarting the car.

EDIT: All the lights have gone away. I didn't add brake fluid. The lights just turned off on their own after I drove the car for like 1 min. The problem gave me anxiety the whole weekend (expensive bill?!) and all I had to do was drive it for a minute. I feel like maybe my G37 is telling me to never drive it in the snow again lol

Last edited by StIdes40; 02-21-2022 at 11:03 PM.