vdc and slip light is on

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^You probably tweaked a speed sensor or it's wiring.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^You probably tweaked a speed sensor or it's wiring.
I thought about when I was putting the wire back in place.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:04 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan141
I just replaced all rotors and pads on 2009 Gsedan X. Abs Vdc brake light are on after installed everything. No braking problem whatsoever. Fluid is all good. I'm gonna try to reset ECU tomorrow. Anybody had same issue after installed?
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I just installed pads and rotors tonight as well and my VDC OFF and SLIP lights are on as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:30 PM
YeeP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL;DR - Don't just "randomly" add fluid to a brake reservoir unless you have a known leak in the system.

I have the same issue all of the other posters have and after reading this whole thread I have to say; IMO, this is the only worthwhile hint in this thread.
Originally Posted by dmg6768
Slip, vdc off, and abs lights are on.

Checked the code: c1109 and c1142 battery voltage abnormal and abs pressure sensor malfunction.

Got a new battery, lights still come on.

Took to a mechanic (may as well use my aftermarket warranty) the ABS module has gone bad. They are replacing it now.
Scan your car, see what codes you have, use that to figure out the problem. Topping off your brake fluid is not a good idea. Sorry to say that, but you do not "use" brake fluid. We are not talking about gas, or an old engine burning oil. The level of brake fluid in the reservoir is what it is. If you find it low, yes your pads could be wearing thin, or you could have a leak.

The only proper time to add brake fluid to the reservoir so it is at the max capacity line, is when the rotors and pads are brand new and installed. If you have worn brake pads, and rotors that have been machined, then you add fluid to the reservoir (presumably back up to the line). The next time you do a brake job on the car and are compressing the pistons in the caliper, you are going to push all the "lost" brake fluid back into the reservoir. But oops, you filled that back up already, so now the fluid is going to leak all over your fender/firewall. If you are lucky enough to catch it while you are working on it, maybe the paint will not be ruined there.

If the sensor is reading that you have a low fluid level, diagnose the problem before you blindly pour more brake fluid.
The following users liked this post:
CrystalTheG (06-19-2018)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
My car does the same thing when I floor it - Was pretty annoying but it's gone now.
I did change my brake pads not sure if this is the reason I don't see the VDC light anymore
CrystalTheG (06-19-2018)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:58 PM
YeeP

Originally Posted by 2011-G
My car does the same thing when I floor it - Was pretty annoying but it's gone now.
I did change my brake pads not sure if this is the reason I don't see the VDC light anymore
That is exactly what is going on with my wife's G37. I will scan it tonight and report back on the codes (hopefully I get some). I do not expect the pads to be low on her vehicle, as I did a brake job on it less than 3 months ago.
CrystalTheG (06-19-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 PM
MTV

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This worked 100%

Glad I found this thread.
if you run into this issue is recommend following the posts which suggest checking your brake fluid level first, then on to troubleshooting the brake hardware.

for me I was just down a bit on brake fluid, I ha e brand new rotors and pads so makes sense... the brakes get a lots of use due to city driving and the idle needs to be adjusted down.

thanks for the tips from previous posts!

I have an 09 G37 Journey RWD.
CrystalTheG (06-19-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same problem, I was getting a re tune for my car and was told my speed sensor was bad. Getting it replaced this Thursday. Hope this helps someone out there.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM
ForeverCarBroke

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue (floor it, brake light on. If I let off it went away; if I didn't my slip and vdc lights come on), but I believe my problem was a little different from everybody else's..

I was looking around at the brake fluid reservoir and noticed that the reservoir and wiring underneath was saturated with an oily fluid. *spoiler it was brake fluid*

I figured theres gotta be a leak from somewhere, so I cleaned the whole thing up, went for a test drive to try to replicate the problem and see where it was leaking from. Only directly below the cap was wet after reproducing problem. Then I noticed on the bottom of the brake fluid compartment underneath the reservoir a little blue piece with mesh screens. I figured that was a splash guard for the reservoir and looked at videos of topping off brake fluid on a G to see if I was right and there it was. So I fished out the splash guard and cleaned it thoroughly before reinstalling and no more issue.

I suspect the previous owner went to a jiffy lube type place, they topped off brake fluid and misplaced the splash guard. Then I had a very slight leak of brake fluid out the top of the reservoir only when going up a hill or at full throttle, when the fluid would be pushed to the back of the reservoir and out the fill hole. Eventually the level got low enough for the sensor to read low brake fluid when the fluid fills that additional space that it is not supposed to fill.

TL;DR There is a little blue mesh splash guard inside the brake fluid reservoir. Verify that that has not been misplaced/the mesh is in tact. If it is not there it will allow the brake fluid to fill an area of the reservoir it is not supposed to, causing the sensor to think that brake fluid is low.
The following 2 users liked this post by ForeverCarBroke:
Baadnewsburr (09-11-2018), x818ray (01-18-2022)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:55 AM
adrianbf
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC and slip after removing battery

I took apart my steering wheel with the battery disconnected. When I put everything back together these two lights went on. They have never gone on before and I don't see how just disconnecting the battery can mess them up so I'm pretty confident my issue is something electrical. My brakes and everything else are fine so I'm thinking maybe I blew some sort of fuse when reconnecting the battery? Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to check this kind of thing?
Old 03-26-2021, 08:16 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Originally Posted by adrianbf
I took apart my steering wheel with the battery disconnected. When I put everything back together these two lights went on. They have never gone on before and I don't see how just disconnecting the battery can mess them up so I'm pretty confident my issue is something electrical. My brakes and everything else are fine so I'm thinking maybe I blew some sort of fuse when reconnecting the battery? Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to check this kind of thing?
My guess would be a connector for the steering angle sensor. You might be able to read a code if you have your local auto parts store us their scanner.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:51 PM
adrianbf
Registered Member

Originally Posted by joeposter
My guess would be a connector for the steering angle sensor. You might be able to read a code if you have your local auto parts store us their scanner.
Yeah now that you mention it they only appear when I start to turn my steering wheel even while in park. Any idea on how to fix it? I like to think I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this is uncharted territory for me. Anything that points me in the right direction helps!
Old 03-29-2021, 06:49 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
#1. Why did you remove your steering wheel?
#2. What all did you disconnect? What connectors?
#3. Do you have NAV/rear camera? If so, are the guide lines working when you turn the wheel?

On the off chance it is the steering angle sensor, that can only be recalibrated at the dealer or a repair shop that has the Nissan CONSULT3 scan tool.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:53 PM
adrianbf
Registered Member

I took it apart to put in a new cover. Had to take apart the trim to squeeze in the cover. I disconnected all the connectors that were in there. So the airbag assembly connectors and steering wheel control connectors. Yeah the NAV guide line is stuck.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:31 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,013 Posts
One more question (I knew I forgot one)... do ALL of your steering wheel switches (volume, track, cruise control) work? Do they light up at night?

Quick Reply: vdc and slip light is on