vdc and slip light is on

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
dougl33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 2009 G37X sedan with 22K miles. I've had the same issue with the VDC, Slip, and Brake lights coming on. This is the 8th brand new car I've owned. I've never had to add brake fluid in any of the others after 5 plus years of ownership. Where the hell is the fluid going to on all these G37's?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dougl33
Where the hell is the fluid going to on all these G37's?
To the pistons in the calipers. When the pads wear, the pistons extend further and hold more fluid.
The following users liked this post:
ErikBena (02-19-2024)
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM
dougl33

I guess I'm just wondering why I've never had this issue on any of my other cars. Maybe the sensor on the Infiniti is more sensitive than any of the other cars I've owned.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Justin311

Originally Posted by dougl33
I guess I'm just wondering why I've never had this issue on any of my other cars. Maybe the sensor on the Infiniti is more sensitive than any of the other cars I've owned.
Were the rest of your cars high performance name brand multi-piston calipers? Big brakes use more fluid, and high performance semi-organic pads wear out more quickly (or, alternatively, squeal and then they will last longer).

One thing I noticed on my G is that when I have not topped up the brake fluid recently (only had to do it a couple times in 70k miles) and I park on an incline, esp in cold weather like we've been having, the lights will come on. This is due to the fluid level being slightly low and the reservior sensor (I'm assuming) must be in the frotn part of the reservior.

At the end of the day, just deal with it, brake fluid is $2
jms515 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:11 PM
jms515

My brake fluid and brake pads are fine. I still have this issue.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
ive had this issue for about a year. whenever i press on the gas slightly aggresively all the traction control lights come on. usually not the brake like but sometimes it does. i just figured traction control was actually needed...
Old 11-16-2014, 02:41 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Change your brakes and top up the fluid
Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM
jms515

Originally Posted by Justin311
Were the rest of your cars high performance name brand multi-piston calipers? Big brakes use more fluid, and high performance semi-organic pads wear out more quickly (or, alternatively, squeal and then they will last longer).

One thing I noticed on my G is that when I have not topped up the brake fluid recently (only had to do it a couple times in 70k miles) and I park on an incline, esp in cold weather like we've been having, the lights will come on. This is due to the fluid level being slightly low and the reservior sensor (I'm assuming) must be in the frotn part of the reservior.

At the end of the day, just deal with it, brake fluid is $2

This is the best post. Even though I posted right after I wish I read thread more thoroughly

Once the light came on, I took it to the dealer and got an oil change, asked him specifically to check brake fluid, top it off and ask to have brakes checked. Got the oil change done, mechanic said brake fluid was fine. Dealer would not inspect brakes unless I paid labor which would go towards the brakes. I did not want to do that because what if I did not need brakes plus this dealers brake prices are pretty high.

I then took car across street to carmax. Also mentioned brakes, and brake fluid. Guy gave me loaner car for day and when I came back he said issue was communication between the brakes and the cruise control and he fixed it but if light still comes on I have to take it to dealer. This did nothing.

I called a different dealer on phone and he said you need brakes because of the light (without even looking). I then ordered brake pads online and brought to a small shop who pulled off my wheels and told me I have half my brake pads left and I can probably wait another 6 months or more before I have them done.

So my next plan was to go to back to different dealer. But since it was a weekend, I said it can't hurt to add more fluid to the max line regardless of what the oil change mechanic at dealer said I did not need any. I used less than a 1/4 of the small sized bottle to top it off.

I think this solved the problem! So far so good. The reason it comes on intermittently is as mentioned in Justin's post as the car moves, (especially inclines/declines) the fluid moves around and if it is close to the min line it can set off the sensor.

I pay more to go to the dealer for an oil change. If the knucklehead there would have topped it off properly it would have saved me a huge headache and a lot of hassle. Even though that dealer is most convenient and around the corner, I will not go back there for anything. And I'll mention that it is Infiniti of Roswell (Ga). Carmax was useless too but at least they were courteous and did not charge me a dime, and gave me a loaner.

Last edited by jms515; 11-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.
grateful2923 (08-02-2023)
Old 11-17-2014, 12:07 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
^^If you need to go to the dealer to top off your brake fluid than chances are you'll be willing to pay for a brake job (needed or not). Now if you had requested (and paid for) having your tires rotated, the dealer wouldn't have much of an excuse for not checking your brakes as the pad is clearly visible once the wheels are off.

When was the last time you flushed your brake fluid? More than 2-3 years? It due.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:15 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm having the same issue right now, the brake fluid is at the right level, I had installed new rotors and break pads this summer all around. brought the car to my mechanic and said there's 2 code: c1185 and c1115.

We checked the break light and everything works fine so he said it may be the sensor, so now can anyone direct me to where I can find sensors compatible to the g37xs.
tks in advance
Attached Thumbnails vdc and slip light is on-img_3190.jpg  

Last edited by flipmode007; 11-20-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by flipmode007
I'm having the same issue right now, the brake fluid is at the right level, I had installed new rotors and break pads this summer all around. brought the car to my mechanic and said there's 2 code: c1185 and c1115.

We checked the break light and everything works fine so he said it may be the sensor, so now can anyone direct me to where I can find sensors compatible to the g37xs.
tks in advance
This may have nothing to do with your particular problem, but it bears mentioning in case you run out of ideas:

I recall from my BMW days that it was possible to have a brake lamp circuit fault caused by using a generic bulb instead of one of the uber-expensive BMW OEM brands. There was apparently enough of a resistance difference that it tripped a fault, even though the bulbs worked fine from all outward appearances. Additionally, the actual lamp sockets used to get some oxidation buildup that needed to be cleaned occasionally.

flipmode007 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 AM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Originally Posted by vqsmile
This may have nothing to do with your particular problem, but it bears mentioning in case you run out of ideas:

I recall from my BMW days that it was possible to have a brake lamp circuit fault caused by using a generic bulb instead of one of the uber-expensive BMW OEM brands. There was apparently enough of a resistance difference that it tripped a fault, even though the bulbs worked fine from all outward appearances. Additionally, the actual lamp sockets used to get some oxidation buildup that needed to be cleaned occasionally.

tks you for this advice, I will look into that
Old 11-22-2014, 04:00 PM
G37Some

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
topped off the brake fluid today and VDC & Brake lights stopped coming on. Perfect! however i guess i will have to change my brake pads soon anyway
grateful2923 (08-02-2023)
Old 11-27-2014, 04:36 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

OK I bought it to the dealer, the tech ask if I change my brakes I said yes it was change this summer, he then pop the hood open and look at the brake fluid level and said it was low. He top it of for me and said t should fix the problem so I told hime that sometime the cruise control will sometime turn off on its own he then said since infiniti and nissan have such complex technology it will turn it off because the car doesn't know whats going on and doesn't know what the problem is.

So make sure the fluid lever is all the way to the max line, mine was in between max and min line.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:23 AM
jms515

Originally Posted by flipmode007
OK I bought it to the dealer, the tech ask if I change my brakes I said yes it was change this summer, he then pop the hood open and look at the brake fluid level and said it was low. He top it of for me and said t should fix the problem so I told hime that sometime the cruise control will sometime turn off on its own he then said since infiniti and nissan have such complex technology it will turn it off because the car doesn't know whats going on and doesn't know what the problem is.

So make sure the fluid lever is all the way to the max line, mine was in between max and min line.
Sounds like you have a good dealer. I wish that was my experience.

Quick Reply: vdc and slip light is on