Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
2GoRNot2G & ttv36- What would you say the weight of the seat rails is roughly- 10-15lbs? I know the Sparco seats I am looking at weigh a lot less than the factory seats, but I forgot to account for the weight.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
My new seats weighed 23 lbs and it seemed like when I added the seat mounting brackets and slider rails it almost doubled the weight, so I would say maybe 15 - 20 lbs for the Bride brackets/sliders.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:36 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

A few more pics that I took over the weekend. The last pic shows how high the new seat brackets/seats seem to sit, but when you sit in them there isn't really any noticeable difference in height. I think most of the difference is due to the fact that the OEM lower seats are so thick because they have to house all of the power seat mechanism.

Name:  IMG_0341_zpsaouasjzz.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  163.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0344_zpsi0ye8jbl.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  155.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0339_zpsp3lv6vlm.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  150.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (12-16-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Is there any way to adjust the height? I already have to lean the seat back a bit with a helmet on to keep my head from rubbing on the track. Not a huge issue if the height stays the same, but it would be cool if the seats were a bit lower.

There's no way to adjust the height with the Bride brackets. I suppose if you really wanted them to sit lower then you could just have custom brackets made and just add the Sparco sliders, but it may be difficult to find someone local that can make the brackets for you. I'm in L.A. and had trouble finding someone willing to do custom brackets.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm sure they don't want to take on the liability, but you would think that everything is "Do-able" for a price. The tough part with one off brackets is they do not get tested and certified..... surely the Bride ones have some sort of process in place.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:09 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
That is too bad about the seat height. I don't know why Infiniti designed the seats to be so damn high. It feels like I'm sitting on a booster seat even at the lowest setting. I even did the seat lowering mod to get the motor to turn down a bit more too.

If the seat rails were lower and it saved weight, I would get new seats.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I just did a quick measurement from the floor to the top of the seat cushion and it looks like the new seats sit almost exactly the same height as the OEM sport seats (about 9.5" off the floor to the top of the front seat cushion).

Its full how some don't think the OEM seats sit low enough. I'm the opposite, I was hoping the new seats would sit a bit higher, as I feel the OEM seats sit a little too low for my tastes... But what do I know?!?! I guess I'm just old and prefer to be able to get in and out of the car without hurting my back.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:49 PM
xxg00w0
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I took out my driver's seat today trying to find what was causing an annoying noise when I corner. It seemed really heavy for a seat to me so I weighed it and wow, 75lbs!?! I think I could reduce some serious weight by putting in some Recaro or Sparco seats.

Has anyone tried this? I know I would give up the side airbags, but what do you do with all of the wires that plug into the seat without setting off lots of warning lights? Also does anyone make seat rails that would work for our car?

WHEN YOU INSTALL THEM BACK INTO THE CAR, DO YOU NEE TO RESET THE AIRBAG SENSOR?

i WANT TO REMOVE MY SEAN AND iM WORRY THAT IT MIGHT GIVE ME SOME STUPID CODE.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

XXG please see the attached DIY for the reset

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ing-light.html

Cheers
Old 12-16-2016, 03:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
My new seats weighed 23 lbs and it seemed like when I added the seat mounting brackets and slider rails it almost doubled the weight, so I would say maybe 15 - 20 lbs for the Bride brackets/sliders.
Wow, those are some light seats. I guess that carbon fiber back helps quite a bit. Did you weigh them put together with the seat rails to compare to the stock seats?

There's no way to adjust the height with the Bride brackets. I suppose if you really wanted them to sit lower then you could just have custom brackets made and just add the Sparco sliders, but it may be difficult to find someone local that can make the brackets for you. I'm in L.A. and had trouble finding someone willing to do custom brackets.
I figured that might be the case. If you cannot find someone to do it in L.A. there is probably no chance I would here. Then again, we do have some pretty cool custom shops here for such a small population.

I just did a quick measurement from the floor to the top of the seat cushion and it looks like the new seats sit almost exactly the same height as the OEM sport seats (about 9.5" off the floor to the top of the front seat cushion).

Thanks for taking the time to check on this. It makes sense as I am sure Bride did not want to alter the function of the seatbelts or airbags by changing the height.

Its full how some don't think the OEM seats sit low enough. I'm the opposite, I was hoping the new seats would sit a bit higher, as I feel the OEM seats sit a little too low for my tastes... But what do I know?!?! I guess I'm just old and prefer to be able to get in and out of the car without hurting my back.
I hate to admit that part of the reason I got this car was that the seats were easier to get into than the Recaros in my Evo because I was having some serious issues with my back. It's hell getting old!

Originally Posted by xxg00w0
WHEN YOU INSTALL THEM BACK INTO THE CAR, DO YOU NEE TO RESET THE AIRBAG SENSOR?

i WANT TO REMOVE MY SEAN AND iM WORRY THAT IT MIGHT GIVE ME SOME STUPID CODE.
Just don't turn on the car like I did with the seats not connected and you will be fine. My light only turned on after the one time I had my wife drive me around with only the driver's seat in the car while I tried to track down the source of a rattle. I work at a Nissan store so I just had one of my techs reset the airbag light with his computer and it took all of 30 seconds. Try that link with hitting the on button to see if that works if you get a light.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

I used a very similar process on my '04 G35... can't remember if its exactly the same or not. Motor burnt out on the passenger seat in that car, Infiniti had the bright idea of making the controls top mounted and they were impossible to keep clean. Had to drive around without a seat for a week or two until i could find the replacement from a wrecker.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:44 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think I finally found a solution to the seat rails. I have a friend who is a welder who said he has fabbed up a few sets of seat rails before and it should not be an issue to make some custom seat rails that sit a bit lower so my helmet does not hit the roof. Score! Now I think I finally have all the bases covered. This could be a good project for me later this year.

Now I just need to decide between all black or black with gray accents on the Sparco seats. Let me know which you think would look better and why in my black interior car. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

For you guys that went to a junk yard and got a bottom seat cushion to get the passenger weight sensor out of it, how much did you pay roughly? I think someone mentioned that a 370Z seat cushion would work too. Is that right- anyone try that?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Makes sense that they would utilize the same part numbers to save money
Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I have heard that the weight sensor out of the 370Z and also the GTR sensor will work on our cars, but you can't use a sensor out of any of the 1st Gen cars. Or you can just purchase a weight sensor bypass module from the link I previously posted, but that will disable the passenger's side airbag.

I've seen the lower seat cushions go for as low as $50 or $60 on eBay. I paid a little over $100 for mine on eBay, but got the entire lower seat assembly, including the power seat mechanism. I plan to try and adapt my new seats to the lower power seat rails so I can have power sliders along with my heated seats.

If you don't feel like destroying the new seat cushion by cutting into then I would suggest giving yourself about an hour to get the weight sensor out. The one I purchased was in great shape and I didn't have the heart to cut into it, so I spent the time to remove the sensor properly and zip tied it under the seat cushion on my new seat. Works perfectly!

Name:  IMG_0349_zpssjb1qmju.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  191.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0369_zpsdblbxwc9.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  146.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0370_zpsux4vji7m.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  134.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0400_zpsvf0wyqbf.jpg
Views: 1666
Size:  146.6 KB

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?