Body Interior Exterior Lighting

went to the body shop today... they scratched up my paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
went to the body shop today... they scratched up my paint

I wanted to debadge my trunk lettering, symbol, and the g37 so I wanted everything off. I helped a friend do his car and we scratched it up real bad. After that I had a fear of debadging it myself. So I looked up reviews for a body shop and one body shop near my house had very good reviews on google. I called there and they said they will do it for 10 dollars. I thought it was better than me messing with it and scratching my car.

So I took it there and guess what... they really messed it up a lot more then I would have.

First, he plucked the letters off without heating them. Then he scratched the remaining glue off with his nails. Lastly, he used acetone to remove the rest of the letters.

I bought this car used. The guy before tried to take off the infiniti emblem off the back and scratched the paint behind it. I understand that. I am fine with that. It was not the body shops fault, but when they took the g37 off the back. they scratched the paint. There are nail marks everywhere. They used their nails to take it off and scratched it all around. There is also a very small chip from the guys nail. When I told them to take it off, they told me he couldn't because it was aftermarket paint and the scratches were going to happen. Then I got furious and gave him the 10 dollars and went home. Then I talked to my dad who also got angry. I called the infiniti dealership and told them of the situation who then refered me to another body shop that would fix it. So I called that body shop and I am going to go show them and I am going to try to get it all fixed.

I called the body shop that did this to my car the first time. Note that I said body shop, Because they do body work including this stuff... and I told them that they really scratched it up and I want them to fix it. The guy told me that it could not be fixed and he told me that before he started working on my car. I told him that he never told me this would happen until he was finished. he said he cant do anything about it now and that all he and that all he can do is buff it out which will cause swirls and maybe bubbles. He kept telling me its aftermarket paint. I called my friend over (a car expert) and he told me that they were full of bs, that it is not aftermarket paint and to go to the dealership and get it examine the car and tell me.

If the dealership body shop tells me that this is the original paint on the trunk, what should be my next step? If i get the whole trunk painted over, there is a chip from this idiot, and there are more scratches everywhere around where the letters were and the symbol, I will have to get the whole trunk painted over which will cost me over 400 dollars. What do I do about this? Can I somehow get the bodyshop to paint my trunk over? They didn't tell me any of this would happen until after they did it to my car. It is really pissing me off.

Could I sue the body shop for he 400 or something if they say no they wont repaint the trunk. I dont think they paint there.

By the way... Never going to this place again. I was referred by a friend, they cleaned the inside of his car. He told me they do exterior work, so I looked at google reviews for them, everything seemed good. so I went there, and now I am furious. The only place I will ever go to again would be the Infiniti certified body shops. Please dont give me crap about going there. I know it was a dumb move, but we learn from our mistakes.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Give them a bad review and move on. You want them to repaint your car after that?

Maybe you can refill the chip with touchup carefully and have the other marks buffed out.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I always take pictures of my car before I drop it off for any work. Gotta always think CYA anymore in this world. Call BBB, file a report and unfortunately move on. Sucks man.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
jesse550

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
This is exactly why I'm always hesitant to go anywhere to do anything

I totally feel your pain dude, I definitely recommend you get the touch-up paint and see what you can do with that like cruzmisl said. Sadly it might cost you more to take them to court than what you'll get out of it but do go to them and argue till you get your 10 bucks back, not because it's 10 but because they did such a shi*tty job.

Also for sure, do leave the negative review and warn others. A bad review does go a long way.

Here, to save you some time for finding the touchup paint: https://www.myg37.com/forums/support...-up-paint.html
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Topher9425
Premier Member

Received 122 Likes on 115 Posts
Is de-badging your trunk really that hard? I was gonna try this, now you have me nervous! I was told just a little heat, some floss, and some goo-gone, and you are good to go
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Its not hard at all. My friend had his stuck on real tight and while trying to take it off, we damaged his paint. I was surprised how easily our infiniti ones came off. If i could go back in time, I rather do it to my own car then get someone else get it off
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you leave the negative review, proof read it. And when doing so, actually read it aloud to yourself. Doing it this way, works better to catch stuff that you didn't notice at first, when just reading it silently...
Proof reading = better understanding = more respect for what you write = a negative review with more impact.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 PM
tWistedMissiOn
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any pictures of your trunk? If its only nail scratches and stuff you can just buff it out. I don't get the whole "aftermarket paint" you're talking about, but any paint can be buffed out of scratches, besides really deep ones. Maybe you can check on the detailing section, they can amaze you how easily you can buff out scratches. Let this be an experience to you, no point trying to get them to paint your trunk since the chances of them doing it is pretty slim.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:48 PM
AnJing408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's not hard to debadge it at all. It just take time and patience. I use my nails to get the sticky stuff off and goo gone. Took me about 30-45 min to do my old G35. I miss that car, i regret selling it and then get the G37. Of ocurse the G37 is much nicer and more refine but not worth 2x the price tag(both used of course). Now looking back, i think it actually looks better with the emblems which is why i didn't debadge my G37

here's a pic when i de-badge my old g35:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah it's not really that hard and human nails can't really do much damage to paint... I debadged mine and used a fishing line, hair drier and goo gone to remove the 3m tape... If you don't have a porter cable high speed buffer go into your nearest automotive store and buy some good swirl removers and just remove the scratches by hand or just pay a professional detailer to detail your whole car... I know your angry but it's going to cost a ton of your time to follow through with it IMO
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Originally Posted by unknowndesi
know your angry but it's going to cost a ton of your time to follow through with it IMO
Words of wisdom. Its way cheaper to get the whole car detailed than sew. Sewing includes lawyer fees, court fees, etc. etc. You'll probably lose more paying the government and lawyer than the money you're trying to get ($400) from body shop. Not worth it at all IMHO. Plus! Detailing the car has more than just one positive, EVERY SINGLE PART of your car gets professionally cleaned.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
If your going to rebadge do it when the car is relatively new, use a heat gun and dental floss and goo gone. I did it for my car when it was only 4 months old. No scratches. Tried on my 3 yr old Daily beater and it was a lot harder.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

What i really meant to write was there are chips that wont come off with buffing. and their fingernail scratches are going through the paint -__-

i went to the infiniti shop today. Not the dealership, but a shop that is infiniti and mercedes benz certified. They told me they couldnt fix the scrapes but to fix them, they would have to repaint the trunk
Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Please no sewing or hemming.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM
mtrsprt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trcb777
Please no sewing or hemming.
lmfao!

Leaving the badges on, is a much wiser choice anyway. IMHO of course.

Quick Reply: went to the body shop today... they scratched up my paint