Body Interior Exterior Lighting

FREE headlight conversion consulting

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FREE headlight conversion consulting

After being impressed by the number of good DIYs out there on how to do headlight conversion (painting, LEDs...etc) and the amount of interest this topic calls for. I've decided to offer my service for free to the G community. No, sorry, I won't be doing the work for you. But I've realized that there are a lot of people that would benefit from this but are just scared to try. There's no reason to be, because I will walk you through it step by step. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of excellent DIYs on the forum already, but I'm offering myself at your service to answer any questions you have so that you become comfortable enough to mod your own headlights.

This is an alternative to shelling out $500-$1000 for painted headlights. Not to mention having to deal with down time that's associated with shipping, possible damage, putting yourself at the mercy of the headlight master of your choice......etc.

I've done countless sets of lights when I used to be an active vendor. I'm confident that I'd be able to help you with anything from painting referral, different types of paint, how long to wait, what temperatures to set at, to what is the BEST sealant to use and where to buy everything you'd need.

I am your friendly neighborhood resource, so use me!

DIY I recently stumbled upon. Great job.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...eadlights.html

An old thread of examples for those that I have not met:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...d-edition.html

What I used to offer as a vendor:
MyG37 - Search Results

Please do not PM me because I almost never log into this account anymore. I will be responding under the user name "ucla bruin"

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

One note: I would be very cautious of a "quick" turn around time. Either from yourself because you're rushing the process and you don't know it or offered by someone else.

I've seen it happen to others in both forms. Moisture condensation and chemical condensation. Moisture condensation typically results from water getting into the housing. Chemical condensation is not allowing the painted housing to cure for long enough before sealing. This is much harder to undo. Rather common, I've seen it on the forum.

Do it right and do it right the first time.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:45 PM
breftayka

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
The man. The myth. The legend. Has returned.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer in here.

Can you suggest a place to get surface mounted LEDs? I know of many, but what is the best in your opinion?

Do you have tips for the wiring? Parallel/Series? Ways to reduce the cluster f^ck?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

This is pretty cool!! I'm thinking about starting my headlight project soon. I will definitely remember this post if I have questions, which i'm sure I will have.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Danny, that's very nice!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
~koolio~
Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by breftayka
The man. The myth. The legend. Has returned.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer in here.

Can you suggest a place to get surface mounted LEDs? I know of many, but what is the best in your opinion?

Do you have tips for the wiring? Parallel/Series? Ways to reduce the cluster f^ck?
Post links to the surface mount and I'll check it out for you. You can get them from anywhere. Surface mounts are not as inconsistent as through-hole (the common cylindrical ones). Parallel is "better" because all LEDs will be at the same brightness but you will run a lot more power -> melt something or blow something. So if done right, parallel. Otherwise, series is safer but each load may have different brightness. There's a lot more to this than I can explain in a paragraph. Take away is: it depends on what you're using and how many LEDs.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Danny, that's very nice!
Just following in your footsteps!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Weiboy718

I love to help out but then I hardly ever get a thank you reply here. I kinda given up already and ignore pm's
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice thread Danny.
I love to help out but then I hardly ever get a thank you reply here. I kinda given up already and ignore pm's
Thank you for every PM you've answered of mine and your contributions to our forums.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Fentress24

This is awesome man thanks. Might just convince me to give it a shot
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM
ipitythefoo
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Useless thread killing it. Useless thread shall soon take over the world. Killing one by one
Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Post links to the surface mount and I'll check it out for you. You can get them from anywhere. Surface mounts are not as inconsistent as through-hole (the common cylindrical ones). Parallel is "better" because all LEDs will be at the same brightness but you will run a lot more power -> melt something or blow something. So if done right, parallel. Otherwise, series is safer but each load may have different brightness. There's a lot more to this than I can explain in a paragraph. Take away is: it depends on what you're using and how many LEDs.

Just following in your footsteps!
LOL.

+1 on wiring them parallel. That's what I do and works best, gives out the full brightness out of every led plus if one burns out you'll know exactly which one it is instead of breaking a whole string of led just to locate the burnt led. I'll post up some pic's of my complete wirings later on after I complete Homo Xlacks lights

Originally Posted by RYs06MT
Nice thread Danny.
Thank you for every PM you've answered of mine and your contributions to our forums.
of course, we had important things to discuss about LOL.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny@Limited Edition
After being impressed by the number of good DIYs out there on how to do headlight conversion (painting, LEDs...etc) and the amount of interest this topic calls for. I've decided to offer my service for free to the G community. No, sorry, I won't be doing the work for you. But I've realized that there are a lot of people that would benefit from this but are just scared to try. There's no reason to be, because I will walk you through it step by step. Don't get me wrong, there are a number of excellent DIYs on the forum already, but I'm offering myself at your service to answer any questions you have so that you become comfortable enough to mod your own headlights.

This is an alternative to shelling out $500-$1000 for painted headlights. Not to mention having to deal with down time that's associated with shipping, possible damage, putting yourself at the mercy of the headlight master of your choice......etc.

I've done countless sets of lights when I used to be an active vendor. I'm confident that I'd be able to help you with anything from painting referral, different types of paint, how long to wait, what temperatures to set at, to what is the BEST sealant to use and where to buy everything you'd need.

I am your friendly neighborhood resource, so use me!

DIY I recently stumbled upon. Great job.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...eadlights.html

An old thread of examples for those that I have not met:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/interio...d-edition.html

What I used to offer as a vendor:
MyG37 - Search Results

Please do not PM me because I almost never log into this account anymore. I will be responding under the user name "ucla bruin"

Thanks!

GREAT HELP to the COMMUNITY.
Thanks Danny
Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL.

+1 on wiring them parallel. That's what I do and works best, gives out the full brightness out of every led plus if one burns out you'll know exactly which one it is instead of breaking a whole string of led just to locate the burnt led. I'll post up some pic's of my complete wirings later on after I complete Homo Xlacks lights

of course, we had important things to discuss about LOL.
thank you faggotz
Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 PM
daicon0

thanks for offering your service! and for free! that's priceless!

I have a question about taking out and putting back in the HID light from our headlights. what tool(s) and/or method do you use?

after painting the housing of my headlights; I found putting the HID light back into the housing the most time consuming and pain in the ****. Thanks for your input and/or recommendations!

Quick Reply: FREE headlight conversion consulting