Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Rear Seat Fixed Headrests Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Canadian Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear Seat Fixed Headrests Issue

Well it looks like Infiniti missed addressing (at least for North America) a safety flaw in the the refresh for the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan. As a parent with 2 kids (4 1/2 and 1 yrs old.) I am quite disappointed that they did not change the rear seat headrests from molded/fixed to adjustable. Anyone who has tried to install a child car seat (especially a high-back booster) in the outboard postions will agree that the current design is flawed and dangerous. What's most frustrating is that the fix is quite simple. Have removeable adjustable head rests. The European G has this and looking at almost every other vehicle Nissan/Infiniti makes this is also the case. I feel so strongly about this issue that I have written the higher-ups at Nissan/Infiniti expressing my concern about the safety of child seats in vehicle. I am sure I am not the only parent who has an issue with the fixed rear seat headrests. Like to hear your feedback.

I have also posted this in the G35driver forum.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
colburs

Not sure I agree. Run the top strap over the headrest and tighten down the strap. The force you can pull that strap with probably isn't that far off what the strap will see in a front end impact. Most of the load is carried by the lower Latch points.

On mine I wasn't happy with the potential for a permanent impression in the headrest so I put a thin semi-rigid piece of plastic over the headrest and then tightened down the strap.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Canadian Driver

Originally Posted by colburs
Not sure I agree. Run the top strap over the headrest and tighten down the strap. The force you can pull that strap with probably isn't that far off what the strap will see in a front end impact. Most of the load is carried by the lower Latch points.

On mine I wasn't happy with the potential for a permanent impression in the headrest so I put a thin semi-rigid piece of plastic over the headrest and then tightened down the strap.
The deformation of installing a child seat securely is one issue.
What really is troublesome is installing a high back booster seat. Some have LATCH attachments for the bottom and some don't. Because the high back booster seats are tall (as tall as the headrests) the headrest pushes out against the upper part of the booster seat causing the upper part to be pushed forward and leaving a large gap between booster seat and the seat back.. This is unsafe. In fact some of the recommended booster seats from Infinite websites are ones that exhibit this issue. Reading through the Infinite G manual it states that when installing booster seats, it recommends that the head restraint be adjusted or removed, which of course is not possible. The solution is very simple, adjustable headrests. What I find quite curious is why do the European models have adjustable headrests (3 one for the middle seat.) I think from a safety perspective adjustable headrests are much safer than the useless fixed ones in our sedans.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM
sbebs2000

Originally Posted by Canadian Driver
The deformation of installing a child seat securely is one issue.
What really is troublesome is installing a high back booster seat. Some have LATCH attachments for the bottom and some don't. Because the high back booster seats are tall (as tall as the headrests) the headrest pushes out against the upper part of the booster seat causing the upper part to be pushed forward and leaving a large gap between booster seat and the seat back.. This is unsafe. In fact some of the recommended booster seats from Infinite websites are ones that exhibit this issue. Reading through the Infinite G manual it states that when installing booster seats, it recommends that the head restraint be adjusted or removed, which of course is not possible. The solution is very simple, adjustable headrests. What I find quite curious is why do the European models have adjustable headrests (3 one for the middle seat.) I think from a safety perspective adjustable headrests are much safer than the useless fixed ones in our sedans.
+1 and then the booster seat top won;t "dig" into the headrest and leave a mark. I have a homemade solution to prevent it, but it would be nice just to pop them out!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM
colburs

my booster doesn't exhibit the issues you describe so apologies for being so balck and white. I'll keep an eye out for it when considering new boosters. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Canadian Driver

Originally Posted by sbebs2000
+1 and then the booster seat top won;t "dig" into the headrest and leave a mark. I have a homemade solution to prevent it, but it would be nice just to pop them out!
If you don't mind I'd like to hear about you homemade solution. Which child seat are you using?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Canadian Driver

Originally Posted by colburs
my booster doesn't exhibit the issues you describe so apologies for being so balck and white. I'll keep an eye out for it when considering new boosters. Thanks.
No worries. Which booster seat are you using. I can tell you that most high back booster seats, such as Graco Turbo booster Graco
do not install properly. High back boosters are safer for children as they proved side impact protection and also allow for proper shoulder belt position.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
sbebs2000

I have a Graco High Back booster and the top plastic handle digs right into the middle of the headrest. I just bought a black hand towel - cause it matched my interior and the seat. folded it over and tucked it into the front top of the seat back. I have tried to find something professional, but nothing I find would fit the headrest
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canadian Driver
Well it looks like Infiniti missed addressing (at least for North America) a safety flaw in the the refresh for the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan. As a parent with 2 kids (4 1/2 and 1 yrs old.) I am quite disappointed that they did not change the rear seat headrests from molded/fixed to adjustable. Anyone who has tried to install a child car seat (especially a high-back booster) in the outboard postions will agree that the current design is flawed and dangerous. What's most frustrating is that the fix is quite simple. Have removeable adjustable head rests. The European G has this and looking at almost every other vehicle Nissan/Infiniti makes this is also the case. I feel so strongly about this issue that I have written the higher-ups at Nissan/Infiniti expressing my concern about the safety of child seats in vehicle. I am sure I am not the only parent who has an issue with the fixed rear seat headrests. Like to hear your feedback.

I have also posted this in the G35driver forum.

I for one get really tired of the sensible features left off the US versions of the car, which we are then all stuck with in North America (Speaking as another Canuck). Headlight washers. Folding side mirrors. Adjustable rear head restraints. I am sure there are more...only the economies of scale prevent the marketing types from de-contenting things even more.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Canadian Driver

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
I for one get really tired of the sensible features left off the US versions of the car, which we are then all stuck with in North America (Speaking as another Canuck). Headlight washers. Folding side mirrors. Adjustable rear head restraints. I am sure there are more...only the economies of scale prevent the marketing types from de-contenting things even more.
Very much agreed! but as I have mentioned this to me is unacceptable as it's a safety issue. Someone (or some group) in the company had to make this decision and I'm trying to point out to them (Nissan/Infiniti) that it's a mistake.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone post pics of the two different head restraints for direct comparison?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
saw1

I have a 1yr old in a britax roundabout and a 4yr old in a safegaurd go conv. booster. I was also concerned about the space behind the back of the booster. That space exists solely because of the head restraint design. However, the safegaurd go does not have a shell, so when my 4yr old sits in it, it contours to the back of the seat, and his head does not get pushed forward. The safeguard go has a top safety rating equal to the best boosters with a shell. I believe it is the 5 point harness that is the most important safety feature in any booster. (until, of course, they can use a regular seat belt.)

Side note, the britax fits great, but the roundabout has a lower back than my wife's marathon. I had to route the rear tether anchor around the sides of the headrest to avoid damage to it and it worked great.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Kwang

Damn, so the Gs in the other countries get headlight washers and folding side mirrors??? I'm sad now. =[
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM
heftylefty58

Crud. I wish I read this thread prior to last weekend: We traded in our 2004 G35 sedan (ie, removable rear headrests) for a 2013 G37 sedan.

The thought of closely examining the rear headrests in the G37 never crossed my f-ing mind. I didn't find out that they're not removable until yesterday.

Now, whenever my 7 yr old (in his no-back booster) rides in the car, he has to sit with a pronounced forward slouch. Hoping I find out a way around this very soon.

In the meantime, I'm extremely pissed at myself for missing this prior to buying the car....
Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Apoirier0504

I know this is an older thread, but has anyone found a highback booster seat that works?? I've been searching high and low... I'm sooo annoyed!