Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Anybody Installed a GROM Box on a G37 w/NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 PM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anybody Installed a GROM Box on a G37 w/NAV?

Hey all,
Like a lot of people, I've got bluetooth streaming issues, but I'm also the new owner of a super low mileage 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT. Fixing the bluetooth is suspect at best as the dealer *might* have an update in March of 2018, but I'll still have to pay for 90 minutes of install. Also, my maps are like 8 years old, so a map update would be helpful, but that is $150.

Has anyone successfully installed the GROM box on a G37 with Navigation? Curious how integrated it really is, how the Bluetooth works (both phone and music), how much does it interfere with the regular functions (radio, infotainment, HVAC, etc)?

Thoughts/comments on above??

https://gromaudio.com/store/vline/se...nt_system.html
Old 01-17-2018, 03:42 AM
08GCoupe
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the grom Vline infotainment system installed on my 08 G coupe w/navigation. Everything was included with the Vline (harness, Bluetooth mic, GPS antenna, and USB cord.) I believe it took me less than 30-45 minutes to install it, The only thing I believe I had issues with was the limited space behind the OEM system to fit the extra plugs and harness, i was able to fit it after adjusting everything.

The Vline basically runs from an android OS, so you can download any apps you want from the google play. I have google maps, spotify, youtube and waze setup on mine and they work flawlessly. I have my Iphone 7plus setup for bluetooth with the vline, so it can play and display the song and album on the screen. The only downside of it, the steering wheel controls doesn't skip or play back songs, but you can control the volume with the it though. I sent a email to them about it and they replied there software engineers plan to include it into the future updates. I use my phone as a hotspot if I want to run anything/apps that require wifi.

As far as regular fuctions, it doesn't interfere with anything, it uses your Aux input. If you wanted to turn your heater/ac or any other functions, it will temporarily go into your OEM display, so you can see what you adjust, and then go back into the Vline couple seconds after by itself. Same if you reverse. You still have your FM, CD, NAV, HVAC and sd card oem functionality.

The best thing I love about mine is the Apple Play function, from my understanding Grom is waiting the Apple approval so it is disabled ATM. But you can enable it if you choose so. I have mine enable and this is what I use on my vline mainly.

Here are a couple issues I have

1 Our OEM LCD Screen is not the best as far as clarity. Wish it was like the newer G's
2. the Grom unit processor my seem slow when starting up. Usually mine starts less than 30 secs, depending how much apps you have installed it my be longer.
3. Steering wheel controls, I wish i could skip tracks via steering wheel. The good thing if you skip it from your dash controls.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 08GCoupe; 01-17-2018 at 03:56 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 08GCoupe:
codeflux (01-20-2018), ogb (09-04-2018), presidentsdad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 AM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I needed to hear. The instructions say something about tapping into the wire for the steering controls, did you do that?

How did you re-enable the Apple Car Play?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM
08GCoupe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by presidentsdad
Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I needed to hear. The instructions say something about tapping into the wire for the steering controls, did you do that?

How did you re-enable the Apple Car Play?
I did tap into that wire, even though the steering wheel controls doesn’t work I left it tap in so I wouldn’t need to remove it later when they get it working. To enable the Apple play, add the widget to the home screen. Once you do you will notice the Apple play grayed out from being disable. Go into the properties and you will see enable option. You will have to tap the enable 11 times to bypass and enable Apple play. After that, you will need to connect the usb line included with the Vline so you can connect your Apple device to it. Once connected you can use the Apple play on your Vline.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks. I ordered one on the pre-order today!

Question: Does the google maps part work even if you don't have internet connectivity (aka tethered wifi hotspot)?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:14 AM
08GCoupe
Registered Member

Cool. Thanks. I ordered one on the pre-order today!

Question: Does the google maps part work even if you don't have internet connectivity (aka tethered wifi hotspot)?
Mine works, you just don’t get traffic updates
The following users liked this post:
presidentsdad (01-20-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 01:29 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey all,
Like a lot of people, I've got bluetooth streaming issues, but I'm also the new owner of a super low mileage 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT. Fixing the bluetooth is suspect at best as the dealer *might* have an update in March of 2018, but I'll still have to pay for 90 minutes of install. Also, my maps are like 8 years old, so a map update would be helpful, but that is $150.

Has anyone successfully installed the GROM box on a G37 with Navigation? Curious how integrated it really is, how the Bluetooth works (both phone and music), how much does it interfere with the regular functions (radio, infotainment, HVAC, etc)?

I was one of the only Beta-Site testers for the VLine here in the SF Bay Area and while GROM has been hyper responsive addressing a few things that were deal-breakers, I cannot say this is a seamless addition to the OEM entertainment system. As stated before, its basically an Android single board computer that interfaces through your AUX input. In its current incarnation with the most current firmware, the unit is fairly reliable. In about 1 out of 20 startups, the unit will malfunction and require the car to be shut down and restarted. However, I haven't had to make use of the shorting plugs (effectively remove the VLine from the car allowing operation of the AC and other controls) in several months. My biggest gripe is the fit and finish. The Vline will never be mistaken for an OEM unit as the graphics are somewhat simplistic and garish. To be quite honest, the unit does not offer me one additional feature I value and will shortly be uninstalling my unit and either requesting a refund or selling it to another for the $200 I paid for it. As far as the steering wheel interface is concerned, it does work advancing the playlist forward and backward but has some strange artifacts when changing sources at the wheel versus at the head unit. Additionally, the tap on the steering wheel does dampen the response of the OEM installation so that the iPod will not respond as quickly as before. Given how Infinity makes use of the signal from the steering wheel, I'm thinking the tap loads the line down making detection more difficult for the OEM setup resulting in missed commands. In the end, I've found much more pleasurable operation with the use of the Bouvee 1000 bluetooth receiver and an 128GB ipod touch (or my iPhone 6+). Hence, the VLine has not been hooked up in my car since Christmas

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2018, 11:58 AM
presidentsdad
Registered Member

Sadly, I'll never know. GROM kept delaying the shipment and since I have been able to get the iPod integration to work, I think my money was better spent elsewhere, so I canceled my order today. Sorry for those that were interested in my take on it.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:03 PM
mikus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a vline2 about a few months ago in my 2011 g37 w/nav, and am pretty happy with it so far. There are still some bugs in it, but the vendor has been fairly responsive in support, though some persist still. I've posted more thoughts over at their forums in this thread vs. reiterating them here too - https://gromaudio.com/forum/discussion/comment/376.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:02 AM
Ammar Zidat

have you sold yet
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM
endt0ne
Registered Member

Hi all,

I am a new happy owner of an 2011 G37x No-Nav.

Can anyone else provide feedback about the GROM VLINE2 ?

How well does it work? Does it has many bugs/problems? Does it feel like a finished product?

Is it worth the price? Would you recommend it, and if not, are there better alternatives?

I am particularly interested in the Android Auto integration, as well as Bluetooth connectivity.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2020, 01:37 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Hey all,

I did! ... ... look