Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2013 G37x - Nav HeadUnit - Android Integration

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:30 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 G37x - Nav HeadUnit - Android Integration

I currently have an iPhone and I can just plug into my USB port and fire away all the music that I want on my car. The music plays fine, the album art pops up on the screen and so on. It is tightly integrated and all is well.

Now, I am exploring the option of switching to an android device. I am wondering whether the same features will work fine as it does today with my iPhone. I am sure the bluetooth audio will work just fine. But will I be able to stream via the USB port while charging the phone? Will I be able to access the playlists and so on with an Android device plugged into the USB port.

If anyone uses an Android phone along with their G37, please share your experiences.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Mr.Grant

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sharmelan
I currently have an iPhone and I can just plug into my USB port and fire away all the music that I want on my car. The music plays fine, the album art pops up on the screen and so on. It is tightly integrated and all is well.

Now, I am exploring the option of switching to an android device. I am wondering whether the same features will work fine as it does today with my iPhone. I am sure the bluetooth audio will work just fine. But will I be able to stream via the USB port while charging the phone? Will I be able to access the playlists and so on with an Android device plugged into the USB port.

If anyone uses an Android phone along with their G37, please share your experiences.

Thanks.
Unforuntanlteyl if you want an easy way to continue listening to music via your phone you may have to just stick with your Iphone or just upgrade to another Iphone. The reason behind that is due to the software that Infiniti implemented into its headunit, it does not like to play nice with android devices( this also depends on if you have nav or not or trying to play music using bluethooth or via the USB port). I do see you have the nav unit so you may be in luck, but you will only be able to stream music over Bluetooth. Which from my test when I test drove a g37 with the nav package and paired my note 4 to sounds decent, but then again that will depend on how much of an audiophile you are.

Another option you can consider if you migrate to an android device, you can always invest in a device that will give you an Aux input, but of course that will not display album art and depending on the device you get you will have to control the music though your android device, and not the head unit. I'm going to personally invest in a a GROM kit to give me an Aux input since I have an android device, however you will need to give something up for it to work. Ex your cd player or xm radio. I plan on deleting the CD option because I'm 20 and don't really have a need for CD's anymore and just get all my music from streaming sources, such as Spotify and Pandora etc. I also don't mind controlling the music through my device, since on Spotify I have a playlist of over 1000 songs and I just put it on shuffle which I assume will make for one interesting drive.

I would recommend a GROM kit for you but I'm not sure what head unit you have or what you wouldn't mind getting rid of to have aux input or if you really want your music to display on your headunit or if you want to also control everything thought the headunit. So with that being said its up to you if you want to join the dark side of the android world or stay with the confine space of Apple IOS. I personally enjoy android and have grown to accept the difficulties that come with owing an android and trying to play music in my car. I would go to Apple IOS since I'm into tech and my occupation is centered around it so I could also turn the confined space of that is Apple OS, but I'm not cause I enjoy being different and a challenge.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
buy a cheap iPod on CL/eBay, put music on there, leave in armrest and forget about it.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:27 PM
sharmelan

Originally Posted by Mr.Grant
Unforuntanlteyl if you want an easy way to continue listening to music via your phone you may have to just stick with your Iphone or just upgrade to another Iphone. The reason behind that is due to the software that Infiniti implemented into its headunit, it does not like to play nice with android devices( this also depends on if you have nav or not or trying to play music using bluethooth or via the USB port). I do see you have the nav unit so you may be in luck, but you will only be able to stream music over Bluetooth. Which from my test when I test drove a g37 with the nav package and paired my note 4 to sounds decent, but then again that will depend on how much of an audiophile you are.

Another option you can consider if you migrate to an android device, you can always invest in a device that will give you an Aux input, but of course that will not display album art and depending on the device you get you will have to control the music though your android device, and not the head unit. I'm going to personally invest in a a GROM kit to give me an Aux input since I have an android device, however you will need to give something up for it to work. Ex your cd player or xm radio. I plan on deleting the CD option because I'm 20 and don't really have a need for CD's anymore and just get all my music from streaming sources, such as Spotify and Pandora etc. I also don't mind controlling the music through my device, since on Spotify I have a playlist of over 1000 songs and I just put it on shuffle which I assume will make for one interesting drive.

I would recommend a GROM kit for you but I'm not sure what head unit you have or what you wouldn't mind getting rid of to have aux input or if you really want your music to display on your headunit or if you want to also control everything thought the headunit. So with that being said its up to you if you want to join the dark side of the android world or stay with the confine space of Apple IOS. I personally enjoy android and have grown to accept the difficulties that come with owing an android and trying to play music in my car. I would go to Apple IOS since I'm into tech and my occupation is centered around it so I could also turn the confined space of that is Apple OS, but I'm not cause I enjoy being different and a challenge.

I agree with you. I am not bound to any mobile platform by any means and do not consider myself a fanboy at any time. I have used Blackberry, Windows mobile, Android and Apple all equally. I switch to whats best at the moment for my needs.

It seems the latest iPhones aren't that impressive and I thought of switching to the Galaxy lineup, preferably Note 5. But Since I have invested much in the Apple's ecosystem (app store, music, lightnig cables, chargers all over the place, headphones with iOS controls, now even my car, macbook, imac), I kind of find it difficult to start over with another platform now.

Not a fan of modifying the car either. I tend to keep things stock, and only buy them if the stock form is usable for me. I do not use the playlist feature and so on on the car, hence, this maybe a good reason why not to bother much about switching to Android at this time. As long as bluetooth streaming works with track information, I am all good.

I'll wait to demo the new iphone at stores this week, and hopefully stick to it. But if it doesn't impress, I am on to my Note 5 by this friday.

Originally Posted by Landshark
buy a cheap iPod on CL/eBay, put music on there, leave in armrest and forget about it.
Thats a great idea. I am thinking of this option too.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:30 AM
MistahGuy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Another thing to consider is people over in the audio/electronics thread are having issues after upgrading to iOS9.. Not sure if you've upgraded your own phone yet.. Maybe look into just getting an iPod or keeping your current iPhone as LandShark suggested for music separately from whatever your new phone will be. Unless you do a lot of streaming (pandora/spotify etc...), in which case ignore these last 2 sentences.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:48 AM
sharmelan

Originally Posted by MistahGuy
Another thing to consider is people over in the audio/electronics thread are having issues after upgrading to iOS9.. Not sure if you've upgraded your own phone yet.. Maybe look into just getting an iPod or keeping your current iPhone as LandShark suggested for music separately from whatever your new phone will be. Unless you do a lot of streaming (pandora/spotify etc...), in which case ignore these last 2 sentences.

You are right. I totally missed mentioning that last point of yours.

I do not own music, I stream via Spotify or Apple Music now. Hence iPod isn't going to help it seems.

I have updated my phone to iOS 9, but didn't have an issue with it so far. It used to have random disconnects before, but not anymore it seems.

Is there a firmware update to the headunit ever? I feel like it a bit sluggish for what it is. Not sure if I am the only one.