Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Brainstorming Tablet Dash install ideas. (Carputer)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 AM
ztroast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brainstorming Tablet Dash install ideas. (Carputer)

I have an '08 G37s coupe. Fully loaded. I want a clean, Full Featured windows Tablet Install. New age Carputer.

I will not be going the usual route of just putting a tablet in front of the already present Nav screen. That's played out and not very clean it also, IMO, get's rid of A LOT of useful features.

What I was thinking of doing was relocating the climate controls and a small amount of the radio controls and putting a Dell Venue 8 Pro (small 8" full windows 8.1 tablet) in the space that remains. I have all the computer technical issues worked out for now in my head like:

-how to charge it (power inverter for now, possible dedicated outlet install later)
-how to play music (bluetooth in center console RCA)
-how I will control computer (touch screen along with an install of a bluetooth trackpad in front of shifter and relocating heated seat buttons)

My main concern was where to relocate the climate/ radio controls too. I don't need the CD changer or the radio just the on off button and main controls like that.

Most of this work will take place at a shop because I will need interior trim pieces cut and fabricated. As well as wires properly run. I know this seems like a lot but I would love to do it and if we can all figure it out I will definitely do a write up on it when finished.

As of now, I have the tablet and am going to start measuring. ANY INPUT IS WELCOMED, THANKS!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
My first carputer ran Windows XP and even had a cdrom, all in a single din slot lol.

One of the main issues I remember having was when I turned the car off it would just kill the computer so I was always having to figure out when to start shutting down before I parked.

Another issue was heat. The power supply to your tablet is probably located externally with the power cord so I would just recommend keeping it somewhere it wont overheat.

As far as the climate controls go and since you are already fabricating panels, why not offset it a bit and add the climate controls on the new panel. Otherwise stagger them on either side to keep the tablet centered.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 PM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll chime in a bit since I'm finally -- after spending way more time and money than I'd planned -- wrapping up my Nexus 7 install. I've got a build log on DIYMA that outlines some of the problems I've had (see here: Charliekwin's 2007 G35 Sedan build log - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum). A few things to think about:

- Obvious stuff first: make sure it's gonna fit where you want it to go! I can't measure right now, but the tablet looks like it's probably pretty close to the same size as the console. Don't forget to account for anything that might need to get plugged into jacks on the sides as well.

- HVAC controls alone should be easy enough to pop out of the stock trim and moved around. You might be able to fit it in the ashtray area in front of the shifter.

- Keeping just *some* of the audio controls seems tougher to do. It would probably be easier to just get rid of all the stock audio stuff.

- I chose to keep and relocate the stock screen, so that can be done as well. Your Venue would fit in the stock location without significant modifications to the bezel and vents, though.

- I don't know how the Venue is powered, but if it's over USB, get the DCDC-USB. Save yourself time and frustration. Yes, it's expensive. Accept it.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:34 PM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by charliekwin
I'll chime in a bit since I'm finally -- after spending way more time and money than I'd planned -- wrapping up my Nexus 7 install. I've got a build log on DIYMA that outlines some of the problems I've had (see here: Charliekwin's 2007 G35 Sedan build log - Page 3 - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum). A few things to think about:

- Obvious stuff first: make sure it's gonna fit where you want it to go! I can't measure right now, but the tablet looks like it's probably pretty close to the same size as the console. Don't forget to account for anything that might need to get plugged into jacks on the sides as well.

- HVAC controls alone should be easy enough to pop out of the stock trim and moved around. You might be able to fit it in the ashtray area in front of the shifter.

- Keeping just *some* of the audio controls seems tougher to do. It would probably be easier to just get rid of all the stock audio stuff.

- I chose to keep and relocate the stock screen, so that can be done as well. Your Venue would fit in the stock location without significant modifications to the bezel and vents, though.

- I don't know how the Venue is powered, but if it's over USB, get the DCDC-USB. Save yourself time and frustration. Yes, it's expensive. Accept it.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the reference on that other site.. lol. no but seriously my rubber bands are still holding up good, but i like what you did. nice job with the relocation of the factory screen..

its also notable to add my build was on a non nav, and by using an android tablet, you get more than just music-like nav-and other apps.

OP, post all that you do.

oh and you can check out my nexus 7 install here as well:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...-next-mod.html