Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:42 PM
lex99frc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are there any specific DVB-T tuners that work better then others? also i can tap factory antenna into it right?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
lex99frc

is that usb hub really good enought to keep the n7 charged?

Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics
or would something like this be better?

Last edited by lex99frc; 03-12-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
I'll probably also relocate the microUSB charging port so that I don't have to cut into the AC vent for the tablet to fit.
I know you were thinking about 2012 vs 2013, and this is another reason to go with 2012. The earlier version has the USB port on a daughterboard that can be repositioned. Unless you're exceptionally good with a soldering iron, the 2013 version can't be moved. I haven't found a USB cable with a low enough profile to prevent hacking up the AC vent, either.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:11 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by charliekwin
I know you were thinking about 2012 vs 2013, and this is another reason to go with 2012. The earlier version has the USB port on a daughterboard that can be repositioned. Unless you're exceptionally good with a soldering iron, the 2013 version can't be moved. I haven't found a USB cable with a low enough profile to prevent hacking up the AC vent, either.
Good point. I didn't realize that the 2013 model has the USB port directly on the motherboard. That would make it quite a bit harder.

Originally Posted by lex99frc
any links to do that?
I haven't done any of the work yet. But here is a link to a video that shows how someone popped the back of the tablet off and changed the location of the USB port. Once I start building my setup I will make a DIY as I go so every step will be documented.

is that usb hub really good enought to keep the n7 charged?
If I'm remembering correctly, the usb hub is rated at 60 watts. Assuming all usb ports are in use, and drawing power, that would be more than 8 watts per port. Since the ports are 5 volts, that would mean if they were all going at the same time they could draw 1.7 amps each. Seems like it has plenty of power to me. I'm not sure if they're limited to 1.7 amps, maybe they can go higher if other ports are not in use. Maybe there is a bottleneck somewhere and that much current can't be drawn, idk.

Anyways, I am going with an OTG Y-cable which will allow me to power the tablet from another source.

are there any specific DVB-T tuners that work better then others? also i can tap factory antenna into it right?
I have no idea. Maybe try searching this forum or google. A lot of people have used the N7 as a car tablet/computer so there is a good bit of material out there.
This guy at XDA did some work with a Nexus 7 and DVB-T Tuner/antenna that might be of some help to you.

Last edited by LooksLikeASport; 03-12-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:12 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
OK guys, sorry for the delay, but I have hit a major snag and I have not been able to get the HDMI conversion process to work. Heres the problem: the CGA to HDMI converter board has 4 different output resolutions:

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-photo.jpg
(This is a picture of the converter board output when I hook it up to my HDTV)

The FEBON HDMI grabber supports 4 HDMI input resolutions:

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-screen-shot-2014-03-13-at-15.06.46.png
(email response from FEBON when I told him I was having problems.)

Unfortunately none of these match. The closest match would be a converter board output of 1360x768 and a HDMI grabber input of 1366x768.

I'm still going to try a little bit more tinkering. Obviously there is a bit of a language barrier with Andy Febon, so I'm not sure how much help I will get out of him.

Here is the manual he posts online for the HDMI grabber

FEBON168 USB UVC HDMI GRABBER CARD SPEC-1080p10fps.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:35 PM
lex99frc

chris can you help out with the other questions and thanks

do you have any pictures of what the factory nav looks like on nexus? but high resolution pics?

just want to see how it looks it might be good enough not to need hdmi..

chris please check your pm when you get a chance thank you
Old 03-13-2014, 04:45 PM
LooksLikeASport

do you have any pictures of what the factory nav looks like on nexus? but high resolution pics?
The second post in this thread, Chris said that he did not have navigation.

Originally Posted by chrismitch
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't found any potential solutions yet, but I'll keep looking once I get home.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:01 PM
LooksLikeASport

Maybe connect an HDMI to VGA converter to the CGA to HDMI board. Then connect the VGA to a VGA to HDMI converter and finally that HDMI into the HDMI to UVC board....

I found plenty of VGA to HDMI converters that will accept 1360x768 as input and then output 1280x720 or 1980x1080.... so if you can get that HDMI turned into VGA, and then convert it back to HDMI...it might work? It would be a really ugly way of doing it of course, but it's the first thing that came to mind
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Okay guys I'm very excited. I made some major strides this evening and have got it almost working. Using the 1360x768 output on the converter and the 1366x768 input on the FEBON, got this result:

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-photo-1.jpg
How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-photo-2.jpg
How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-photo-3.jpg
How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-photo-4.jpg

The picture quality is extremely good. Although the composite picture i used before was pretty good, this is much better.

Obviously I'm not all the way there yet... the sides and the top are cut off. I'm pretty sure this is a software problem.

The only program that I could get to work is DashCam. And the only resolution that it would display at was 1280x720

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-unnamed.png

Obviously this program doesn't have an option for the resolution I need.

All you software guys out there, I need your help!

Last edited by chrismitch; 03-14-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

I apologize, I'm not a programmer so forgive me if this is stupid. But the same people who make DashCam (which is closed source) make an open source program called SimpleWeb Cam which you can find here:

http://droidperception.wordpress.com/simplewebcam-app/

Anyway this can be modified to support custom resolutions?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM
LooksLikeASport

I apologize, I'm not a programmer so forgive me if this is stupid. But the same people who make DashCam (which is closed source) make an open source program called SimpleWeb Cam which you can find here:

SimpleWebcam App | droidperception

Anyway this can be modified to support custom resolutions?
As it turns out, I do software for a living like jattsurma. I don't work with Android specifically but I have had experience with it. I won't be able to look at the code until I get home from work but it's definitely worth a shot. Have you installed their open source version to see if that works at all yet?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
As it turns out, I do software for a living like jattsurma. I don't work with Android specifically but I have had experience with it. I won't be able to look at the code until I get home from work but it's definitely worth a shot. Have you installed their open source version to see if that works at all yet?
Yea, I did try the default SimpleWebCam, however the display seems to default to 640x480. Its basically a zoomed in blurry picture of the upper left hand corner. I wish I could give you a screen shot right now but I'm at work and obviously can't hook it up to my car!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:50 AM
LooksLikeASport

Yea, I did try the default SimpleWebCam, however the display seems to default to 640x480. Its basically a zoomed in blurry picture of the upper left hand corner. I wish I could give you a screen shot right now but I'm at work and obviously can't hook it up to my car!
That's good that you're getting an image though. Sounds promising. I'm excited to look at the code later to see what we've got to work with. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What resolution do you need it at? If the project compiles, it doesn't look hard to change it. Will play around with it tonight and send you an apk with a small height.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:22 AM
LooksLikeASport

Hey Jattsurma, did you try modifying the app yet? I looked at it for maybe a minute and found two different references to the width and height. I changed them from 640x480 to 1366x768 and then built the .apk. Here is a link to the new APK if you want to try it out Chris. I doubt the change will be that simple, but maybe it'll work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmrl8brk68...09e474a7cc.apk

Let me know what happens

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7