Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 PM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
Made a quick list of the items needed:
  • ~$40 - Weiya CV04 - Link
  • ~$87 - FEBON100 - Link (you have to email the guy)
  • ~$100 - Nexus 7 (2012) Tablet - Ebay, Craigslist, etc...
  • ~$30 - Powered USB Hub - Link
  • ~$10 - OTG Y-Cable - Link
  • FREE - Timur's "USB Rom" for the Nexus 7 (2012) - Link
  • FREE - SimpleWebcam Android App - Link

Total = ~$270
I am wanting to do this on my 2008 G37S with Bose/Navigation. I also have a backup camera and would like to still be able to have this functional with this mod. Does anyone know if this will work for my particular setup? Also could someone provide a wiring diagram for a 2008 G37S Coupe with Bose/Navi/Camera installed?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeG37
I am wanting to do this on my 2008 G37S with Bose/Navigation. I also have a backup camera and would like to still be able to have this functional with this mod. Does anyone know if this will work for my particular setup? Also could someone provide a wiring diagram for a 2008 G37S Coupe with Bose/Navi/Camera installed?
Here is the service manual for your car: link.

It should have all the schematics you need.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
JakeG37

Here is the service manual for your car: link.

It should have all the schematics you need.
Thanks for the link to the manual. Just to be clear, does doing this mod retain all functions of the factory unit? Since the original display will be available on the Nexus 7 I imagine the video from the backup camera should work. Is this a fair assumption?
Old 06-02-2014, 02:34 PM
JakeG37

Which of these pictures is the right FEBON100 mentioned for this mod? One has RCA plugs and one does not.
Attached Thumbnails How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-febon100.jpg   How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-febon100-alt.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
LooksLikeASport

Thanks for the link to the manual. Just to be clear, does doing this mod retain all functions of the factory unit? Since the original display will be available on the Nexus 7 I imagine the video from the backup camera should work. Is this a fair assumption?
Yes, anything that used to display on your factory screen will display on the Nexus 7 (including the backup camera). You have to have the simplewebcam app open to see everything though (unless you have a joycon controller and/or tasker configured). Example: If you're in Pandora, and you go to reverse, the tablet will not automatically switch to the backup cam feed. If you have the simplewebcam app open and you can see your stock video feed, then it will automatically switch to the backup cam when you put it in reverse. Does that make sense?

Which of these pictures is the right FEBON100 mentioned for this mod? One has RCA plugs and one does not.
This one.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 PM
JakeG37

Yes, anything that used to display on your factory screen will display on the Nexus 7 (including the backup camera). You have to have the simplewebcam app open to see everything though (unless you have a joycon controller and/or tasker configured). Example: If you're in Pandora, and you go to reverse, the tablet will not automatically switch to the backup cam feed. If you have the simplewebcam app open and you can see your stock video feed, then it will automatically switch to the backup cam when you put it in reverse. Does that make sense?

This one.
Thanks for the info. It makes sense to me, I will just have to work with whatever apps I need to have the camera act the same way the stock setup does. I will get most of the items in the mail this week but the FEBON wont be here until next week, most likely.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 PM
JakeG37

Still acquiring my components for this. Waiting on the Weiya CV-04 to get here and I just ordered the Joycon EXR also. Are there any aftermarket harnesses that could be used to help put this together that would minimize tapping so many wires? Would be nice to make something up that would allow for a clean wire job that could be undone putting the car back in the original state. I have a lot of wiring experience from the Navy and could do this if I just have the connectors/pins that I would need.

I just got my Nexus 7 and installed Cyanogenmod 10.1 and USB ROM. I am new to Android so it took me a few tries after watching some videos on Youtube. To be honest, I found most of the videos confusing or leaving something out. The easiest way I found was to just use the Android Toolkit for the entire process. I could do it again in about 10min now. Lol. Its a fun learning process, cant wait to test the rest of the mod.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM
JakeG37

It would be great to be able to combine all of these components into a single unit and build harnesses to allow for simpler installation. There seems to be a pretty high demand for these types of mods with the Nexus 7 among others.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:36 PM
out0focus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JakeG37, I'm hoping that you will do a DIY step-by-step of your install. I would love to get this working, but I'm scared I'll get the wrong components or break something along the way.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
JakeG37

Originally Posted by out0focus
JakeG37, I'm hoping that you will do a DIY step-by-step of your install. I would love to get this working, but I'm scared I'll get the wrong components or break something along the way.
I will see what I can do. I just had my HD crash on my computer so I'm waiting for a replacement from Amazon tomorrow. I shouldget most of the other components this week hopefully. I am researching some other possible items to make this go smoother so don't expect a DIY guide until its done and most of the bugs worked out
Old 06-09-2014, 11:26 PM
LooksLikeASport

Still acquiring my components for this. Waiting on the Weiya CV-04 to get here and I just ordered the Joycon EXR also. Are there any aftermarket harnesses that could be used to help put this together that would minimize tapping so many wires? Would be nice to make something up that would allow for a clean wire job that could be undone putting the car back in the original state. I have a lot of wiring experience from the Navy and could do this if I just have the connectors/pins that I would need.
It would definitely be nice to have a custom wiring harness for this mod so that it can be done as cleanly as possible. I'm still waiting on my Weiya CV-04 and my FEBON100 (just ordered the FEBON today), so I'm thinking I'll look into that while I wait.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 AM
JakeG37

Someone find us the connectors and pins and I will build one
Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
lex99frc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am trying to replace factory lcd on maserati nav, the lcd as per the manual does not have a combined sync, what it has is horizontal sync and vertical sync, and also composite sync can i use the composite sync is that same as combined sync?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Here is the wiring diagram for the 2010+ Display. It looks like a few of the wires have been swapped.

*Please verify before you cut/splice*

Name:  2011display_zps1989ab14.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  AV67_zps5d213670.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  AV68_zps93b24126.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  63.3 KB
Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Jagnala

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All,

First i wanted to thank you all for the great help. This thread has really made my life easier. I'm about 50% of the way done with the rework but it’s starting to look good so i thought i would share. I didn’t like switching between the screen on the nexus so i'm currently installing a small screen at the bottom of my console, either a 5 in (shown in the pic) or a 4.3 in. Also routed 2 usb connector to the front panel for easy access.
Attached Thumbnails How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-20140623_195700.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
yx2004 (08-24-2019)

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7