Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 AM
ethood42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot wait to see this final setup! Made an account just to keep up with this!!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, that helps a lot! I'll definitely try to deal with him directly instead of going through aliexpress. Did you find his email address somewhere or did you contact him through the message tool on Ali?
I messaged him though the Aliexpress website

Maybe it's just the video (or my eyes) but I honestly don't think the video looks too bad.
Actually the quality really isn't that bad using the composite converter. At the time when I took the video it was especially good. However it seems to wax and wane over time and I'm not really sure why. Plus once I found out that there was an HDMI converter out there, the perfectionist in me had to buy it. I'm still waiting on the FEBON HDMI grabber which should get here tomorrow and then I'll have it set up.

I would try another app (if there is any), or see if that app has any settings to adjust the video.
Up until this point I have tried a few apps including
-DashCam
-SimpleWebCam
-USBExternalSnapper

Dashcam was def the best. I just discovered that Torque has a dash cam plugin
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...recorder&hl=en

I'm going to try this next once I have everything hooked back up.

I'm an Android developer by profession and if I do this, I will definitely develop something on android that does what you just mentioned.
That would be most appreciated!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Jamez3rd

One thing i have searched for but haven't seen is making the nexus act as a handsfree bluetooth device. But i guess that would require connecting a mic to it to talk while driving. I heard of others wanting this feature but i guess a dev would have to take it on. I guess we all have to use Tablettalk and maybe a bluetooth headset.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:40 AM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
How's the 2013 N7 working out? I'm guessing you are using Timur's new kernel? Just wondering what exactly you've got connected and/or working with the tablet. What maybe isn't working? Still trying to decide if I should go with the 2012 or 2013 N7
Not well I tried a number of combinations of kernels and ROMs to get OTG and charging at the same time and nothing's there yet. I contacted Timur, but he's charging nearly $70(!!) for beta access, which is way too much, IMO. A USB DAC is the only connected device that's an absolute must-have for me, though extra storage is nice to have. Both work while the device is charging, but the N7 won't recognize them when power is cut and restored to the tablet. I used the headphone out for a little bit, but the audio quality was too big of a compromise (I put in a pretty decent audio install), so for now, the tablet's in the house until software catches up.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Jamez3rd

Originally Posted by charliekwin
Not well I tried a number of combinations of kernels and ROMs to get OTG and charging at the same time and nothing's there yet. I contacted Timur, but he's charging nearly $70(!!) for beta access, which is way too much, IMO. A USB DAC is the only connected device that's an absolute must-have for me, though extra storage is nice to have. Both work while the device is charging, but the N7 won't recognize them when power is cut and restored to the tablet. I used the headphone out for a little bit, but the audio quality was too big of a compromise (I put in a pretty decent audio install), so for now, the tablet's in the house until software catches up.
Yeah i was reading about that. Looks like you'll have to wait til May but the N 2013 has a better display that will look nice in the G along with KitKat. I'm amazed that only Timur is the only one that has made something like this. I'm sure others can but i guess no one wants to.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by charliekwin
I think I'll be sticking with the 2012 N7 then for sure. It'll be cheaper and I won't have to cough up the extra $70 for beta access. And btw, I saw your build thread for your audio install.....WOW, very well done
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an another rca grabber: USB Video Capture Adapter - VC-211V, $22.95 .. not sure if its supported by Android
Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jattsurma
Here's an another rca grabber: USB Video Capture Adapter - VC-211V, $22.95 .. not sure if its supported by Android
Unfortunately. it doesn't look like this will work for the nexus 7. What chrismitch figured out is that we need a device that uses the USB Video Class (UVC) standard. There are a lot of USB capture cards out there, but very few of them use UVC. So the majority of the usb video capture devices will not work with android.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 PM
jattsurma

I wonder if there is way to capture the radio ****/button signals and send them to nexus. This way someone like me can capture those signals and develop an app or widgit that mimic the stock functionality inside the nexus. I mean I would only need to know things like temperature, radio preset button, etc. I know i'm talking crazy....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM
chrismitch
Registered Member

What chrismitch figured out is that we need a device that uses the USB Video Class (UVC) standard.
Yeah this is the key to the whole problem. Unfortunately after all of my searching, I could only find three devices that fit this standard. The FEBON is the one that I could find the most information on in various boards and generally had great reviews. These are the other two

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-opr-hd879-uvc-usb-av-android-capture-card-android-window-linux-ios-usb-video-capture-card.jpg

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-screen-shot-2014-03-03-at-18.04.32.png

I wasn't really able to find any information regarding these other products and without reviews I was hesitant to buy them.

In case you're feeling adventurous, there is a $20 EZCAP usb capture card that MAY be supported on Timur's kernel. Only problem is you need one with a specific chipset (STK1160) and after searching online I found a lot of cheap knock off products. On top of that, even the people who did have the right chipset seemed to have a lot of problems.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-tim...b-rom/page-125

THE FEBON UVC works flawlessly. No drivers and no BS. Theres no question its extremely overpriced, but theres nothing out there that I could find that matches the ease and reliability of this product.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM
charliekwin

I wonder if there is way to capture the radio ****/button signals and send them to nexus. This way someone like me can capture those signals and develop an app or widgit that mimic the stock functionality inside the nexus. I mean I would only need to know things like temperature, radio preset button, etc. I know i'm talking crazy....
Is there a way? There's always a way! It's all part of the CAN bus. A sufficiently smart and motivated individual should be able to intercept it, send it through something like an Arduino, and out to be read by your tablet or any other device. You could go back the other direction, too.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near that smart (and probably not that motivated if I were) A hundred bucks or so for some converters is a WAY better approach.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:25 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

FYI

Cost to do composite conversion:
RGBS to composite converter: $40
FEBON UVC 100 composite grabber: $89
Total: $129

Cost to do HDMI conversion:
RGBS to HDMI converter: $70
FEBON UVC 168 HDMI grabber: $129
Total: $199
Old 03-04-2014, 11:04 AM
jattsurma

Eagerly waiting on the HDMI results.

Picking up a used nexus 7 (2012) tomorrow so I can install the rom and start playing around with it.

I know I read this somewhere but can you guys provide some insight on how you are powering the tablet & usb hub. Pictures would help .. Would something like this work:
Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics
Old 03-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Jamez3rd

Eagerly waiting on the HDMI results.

Picking up a used nexus 7 (2012) tomorrow so I can install the rom and start playing around with it.

I know I read this somewhere but can you guys provide some insight on how you are powering the tablet & usb hub. Pictures would help .. Would something like this work: Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics
I'd like to know also. I know we have two cigarette lighters but they're on the outside and i know after the install everything is hidden behind the dash.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
charliekwin

I know I read this somewhere but can you guys provide some insight on how you are powering the tablet & usb hub. Pictures would help .. Would something like this work: Amazon.com : Autek DC Converter Buck Module 12V convert to 5V usb output power adapter(DCCON-5U-0) : Electronics
I picked up a similar buck converter for ~$3 shipped from Hong Kong on eBay. Tapped into the wiring for the cig lighter. No problems to report thus far. I've heard from others that the sticking an adapter into the cig lighter isn't a good way to go.

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7