Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chrismitch, have you got everything mounted? I'd love to see a video with the tablet completely integrated switching from pandora/music to the oem video feed and back.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Jamez3rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
chrismitch, have you got everything mounted? I'd love to see a video with the tablet completely integrated switching from pandora/music to the oem video feed and back.
+1 to this
Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
LooksLikeASport

I just found out that Kuchar09 over at XDA has done a lot of similar things, as far as modding his vehicle to incorporate a tablet. His thread is a good place for some new ideas I think. He has all his parts listed, as well as a lot of pictures and videos. He isn't driving a G, but a good amount of information he has up there is still very useful.

Here is the link
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
^def one of the threads i research in, theres also one floating around of an audi TT i believe..not sure. And then theres a Knight rider theme nexus 7 install someone did.. i should probably get back to work over here.(Here comes the BOSS)
Old 02-27-2014, 01:48 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm 99% ready to have everything mounted and I'll be sure to post a video. Before I mount it, I actually just got the circuit board to convert the stock signal directly to HDMI rather than composite. FEBON also has a HDMI UVC capture dongle which I ordered as well. Although my current method is pretty darn good, I noticed that the clarity of the picture waxes and wanes. I'm wondering if there is some interference with the composite analog signal. I'll also keep you guys posted on how this works out.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by chrismitch
I'm 99% ready to have everything mounted and I'll be sure to post a video. Before I mount it, I actually just got the circuit board to convert the stock signal directly to HDMI rather than composite. FEBON also has a HDMI UVC capture dongle which I ordered as well. Although my current method is pretty darn good, I noticed that the clarity of the picture waxes and wanes. I'm wondering if there is some interference with the composite analog signal. I'll also keep you guys posted on how this works out.
Yes please do keep us updated. I saw that he had an HDMI version but I never found anything that would convert the RGBS signal to HDMI. I'm very interested to see if it works and if it maintains a higher quality image.

EDIT: Also, do you have a picture and/or link to the board that converts the stock signal to HDMI? Thanks!

Last edited by LooksLikeASport; 02-27-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

So the ONLY place I could find the RGBS signal converter was of course China. I just received it in the mail but I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. It definitely looks legit though.

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-screen-shot-2014-02-28-at-3.14.52.jpg

New Arrival CGA TO HDMI converter/CGA/EGA to HDMI converting board for high definition arcade game cabinet/HD LCD game machine-in Coin Operated Games from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

That was my first time buying from alibaba.com or aliexpress.com. I have to say it was a bad experience. Even though my credit card company approved the transaction, the website denied me due to "Security Reasons" and then wouldn't refund my money for 7 days.

The seller, however, is very pleasant and easy to deal with. I ended up just sending him the money through PayPal and I got the package within 5 days or so.

I'm still waiting on the FEBON HDMI grabber but that should be here any day now. I will definitely keep you guys posted.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

By the way, the default cable that he sends you is not the right one to hook up to our car. I learned this the hard way actually when I bought the RGBS to composite converter. This is the cable you want:

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-jamma_harness_video_connector_550x480_logo_1.jpg

I asked him to send this cable instead of the one shown on the website. He was very accommodating.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Jamez3rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for software, I rooted my Nexus 7 and installed the "USB ROM" which is built upon CyanogenMod and Timur's USB Host kernel. Its great for a car install and allows for multiple usb devices connected at once. The link to the ROM is here:

http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

This is based upon Android 4.2.2, and it only works for the 2012 Nexus 7 and not for the 2013 Nexus 7.
I have a Nexus 7 2012 and thinking about getting a 2013 since Timur is publicly releasing a new kit kat kernel for it. It's already available but to get it you have to donate unless you wait until May.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM
LooksLikeASport

So the ONLY place I could find the RGBS signal converter was of course China. I just received it in the mail but I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. It definitely looks legit though.

Attachment 102433

New Arrival CGA TO HDMI converter/CGA/EGA to HDMI converting board for high definition arcade game cabinet/HD LCD game machine-in Coin Operated Games from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

That was my first time buying from alibaba.com or aliexpress.com. I have to say it was a bad experience. Even though my credit card company approved the transaction, the website denied me due to "Security Reasons" and then wouldn't refund my money for 7 days.

The seller, however, is very pleasant and easy to deal with. I ended up just sending him the money through PayPal and I got the package within 5 days or so.

I'm still waiting on the FEBON HDMI grabber but that should be here any day now. I will definitely keep you guys posted.
By the way, the default cable that he sends you is not the right one to hook up to our car. I learned this the hard way actually when I bought the RGBS to composite converter. This is the cable you want:

Attachment 102434

I asked him to send this cable instead of the one shown on the website. He was very accommodating.
Thanks! I was wondering whether or not that was the right cable. Did you just ask him to include the 5 pin CGA cable and/or show him a picture of what you needed?

I've already ordered the Joycon EXR and will be ordering the the two HDMI converters soon.

Originally Posted by Jamez3rd
I have a Nexus 7 2012 and thinking about getting a 2013 since Timur is publicly releasing a new kit kat kernel for it. It's already available but to get it you have to donate unless you wait until May.
Yes I saw that too, I'm trying to decide if I want to take a chance with his newer kernel or go with his older one that is proven to work. I can get a used 32gb 2012 nexus 7 for $100, or a used 32gb 2013 nexus 7 for maybe $170-180. Decisions...decisions...
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
chrismitch
Registered Member

I actually did send him a picture of the harness but he knew exactly what I was talking about. It looks like he specializes in the arcade game equipment so he probably knows all about this stuff . Heres a screenshot of our interaction:

How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7-untitled-1.jpg

Again I wouldn't go though aliexpress. It was much easier just sending him a payment through paypal.

As for the Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 debate, I also struggled with this for a while. I decided to go with the 2012 just because this is the "tried and true" method and there is already a lot of support out there.

Oh yeah and I also just ordered the JoyCon. I can't wait to hook it up.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM
charliekwin

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Really interesting; thanks for posting. I've been working on a 2013 N7 install in my G35 for a couple months now, but went with a dual-screen approach, relocating the stock screen underneath the CD player/HVAC controls. Now I gotta rethink it.

Definitely want to retain the stock display info and would prefer to have it always visible; but maybe a custom gesture to easily pull up and dismiss the dashcam would be a reasonable compromise. The option of keeping a totally stock appearance and retaining the ashtray area is pretty compelling too.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:43 PM
LooksLikeASport

I actually did send him a picture of the harness but he knew exactly what I was talking about. It looks like he specializes in the arcade game equipment so he probably knows all about this stuff . Heres a screenshot of our interaction:

Attachment 102438

Again I wouldn't go though aliexpress. It was much easier just sending him a payment through paypal.

As for the Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 debate, I also struggled with this for a while. I decided to go with the 2012 just because this is the "tried and true" method and there is already a lot of support out there.

Oh yeah and I also just ordered the JoyCon. I can't wait to hook it up.
Thanks, that helps a lot! I'll definitely try to deal with him directly instead of going through aliexpress. Did you find his email address somewhere or did you contact him through the message tool on Ali?

Originally Posted by charliekwin
Really interesting; thanks for posting. I've been working on a 2013 N7 install in my G35 for a couple months now, but went with a dual-screen approach, relocating the stock screen underneath the CD player/HVAC controls. Now I gotta rethink it.

Definitely want to retain the stock display info and would prefer to have it always visible; but maybe a custom gesture to easily pull up and dismiss the dashcam would be a reasonable compromise. The option of keeping a totally stock appearance and retaining the ashtray area is pretty compelling too.
How's the 2013 N7 working out? I'm guessing you are using Timur's new kernel? Just wondering what exactly you've got connected and/or working with the tablet. What maybe isn't working? Still trying to decide if I should go with the 2012 or 2013 N7
Old 03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was actually thinking about doing this for an iPad. During my research, I got far as that video grabber card.

On the iPad, there NO way to get video in. Hardware does not exist. Being an iOS/Android developer, I have been doing research on developing an app that converts the RGB signal to audio input like many external devices use. It's possible the quality would be bad.

I'm glad nexus has support for this. Maybe it's just the video (or my eyes) but I honestly don't think the video looks too bad. I mean our stock non-hd setup looks crap. If it really does look horrible, it could be the app. I would try another app (if there is any), or see if that app has any settings to adjust the video.

I look forward seeing the final setup! ... so i can do it
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 PM
jattsurma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by charliekwin
Definitely want to retain the stock display info and would prefer to have it always visible; but maybe a custom gesture to easily pull up and dismiss the dashcam would be a reasonable compromise.
I'm an Android developer by profession and if I do this, I will definitely develop something on android that does what you just mentioned. i'm getting exicted just thinking about it

Quick Reply: How I displayed the Stock Screen on a Nexus 7