Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Remote smart start viper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM
yrag

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Remote smart start viper?

i have a 09g37 6mt
anyone have a viper smart start in their cars?
the retailer claimed that he can make my keyless entry still work.
anyone has it on their car? any bugs or problems? pros and cons? price paid for install and system?

id prefer someone with a MT to answer but all is welcome
Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Supremee
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot of people wont recommend it on 6MT. Especially if you leave your car in gear when parked. But there was a group buy in NY. Guy did it for 225 on our oem key fob. Hit lock 3 times and it starts. Heard it worked great. Check out g35nyc fb page. I believe its still going on
Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 PM
yrag

Originally Posted by Supremee
A lot of people wont recommend it on 6MT. Especially if you leave your car in gear when parked. But there was a group buy in NY. Guy did it for 225 on our oem key fob. Hit lock 3 times and it starts. Heard it worked great. Check out g35nyc fb page. I believe its still going on
the thing that got me really hooked on that smart start is being able to control the heat/temp/etc and the gps locator
Old 12-24-2013, 01:05 AM
dc2r

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the viper remote start but i didn't opt for the smart start as i believe that required a yearly subscription.

i have viper 5704.

i have an 08 g37s 6mt tech + navi packages

my installer is a good buddy of mine; definitely wasn't happy with the install but did an amazing job.

my keys stay in my pocket for the most part like any keyless cars.

my routine from getting ready to drive to parking the car and leaving.

1. start the car (stays on for 15 minutes)
2. walk to car press unlock on door handle
3. press brake and release hand brake and drive off (car has been remote started already...)
4. park car, foot on brake pull up ebrake; let go brakes; press VDC button
5. exit car close door pull out viper remote and press lock door; car shuts off and arms car and car is ready for remote start.

draw backs.....mind you it can probably be fixed, but i will address them after winter
1. i can't open the trunk without disengaging the autostart; meaning if i autostart the car i can't go into the trunk without engaging the alarm; something to do with the rear unlock sensor button; this is only a minor set back as i go into the car and hit the brakes and then open up the trunk, thus leaving the car still started
2. if you open the door you have to perform steps 3-5 again; this is a safety mechanism to engage reservation; because its manual the reservation needs to be in place so that alarm knows its in neutral; hence if you unlock the door it removes the starter from reservation mode in fear that someone accidentally placed car in gear.
3. he tried his best to keep me fully keyless; but there is no way for the alarm to know its in reservation mode without using the viper keyfob; not to bad as most times i'll be using the keys right after i'm out of the car anyhow.

benefits:
1. i get a really far range maybe a 1/4 mile? or more depending on building structure and location.
2. car is nice and toasty; i set the temp to hot and on auto without a/c on; fans will not blow until there is heat so its nice
3. installer enabled defroster while auto start; so in the winter my rear glass is pretty much defrosted when i get outside.
4. auto up/down windows; he could have done it, but i never used it anyways in my previous car so i didn't bug him to put it in this time.

if you got any other questions i'll try to answer them. if a video is required i'll try to post one up as well.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:08 AM
yrag

Originally Posted by dc2r
i have the viper remote start but i didn't opt for the smart start as i believe that required a yearly subscription.

i have viper 5704.

i have an 08 g37s 6mt tech + navi packages

my installer is a good buddy of mine; definitely wasn't happy with the install but did an amazing job.

my keys stay in my pocket for the most part like any keyless cars.

my routine from getting ready to drive to parking the car and leaving.

1. start the car (stays on for 15 minutes)
2. walk to car press unlock on door handle
3. press brake and release hand brake and drive off (car has been remote started already...)
4. park car, foot on brake pull up ebrake; let go brakes; press VDC button
5. exit car close door pull out viper remote and press lock door; car shuts off and arms car and car is ready for remote start.

draw backs.....mind you it can probably be fixed, but i will address them after winter
1. i can't open the trunk without disengaging the autostart; meaning if i autostart the car i can't go into the trunk without engaging the alarm; something to do with the rear unlock sensor button; this is only a minor set back as i go into the car and hit the brakes and then open up the trunk, thus leaving the car still started
2. if you open the door you have to perform steps 3-5 again; this is a safety mechanism to engage reservation; because its manual the reservation needs to be in place so that alarm knows its in neutral; hence if you unlock the door it removes the starter from reservation mode in fear that someone accidentally placed car in gear.
3. he tried his best to keep me fully keyless; but there is no way for the alarm to know its in reservation mode without using the viper keyfob; not to bad as most times i'll be using the keys right after i'm out of the car anyhow.

benefits:
1. i get a really far range maybe a 1/4 mile? or more depending on building structure and location.
2. car is nice and toasty; i set the temp to hot and on auto without a/c on; fans will not blow until there is heat so its nice
3. installer enabled defroster while auto start; so in the winter my rear glass is pretty much defrosted when i get outside.
4. auto up/down windows; he could have done it, but i never used it anyways in my previous car so i didn't bug him to put it in this time.

if you got any other questions i'll try to answer them. if a video is required i'll try to post one up as well.
Not too bad it would prob be a daily routine thing that needs getting use to. The smart start I believe is like a plan, choosing between 1-3 years if you want the gps but it could be worth it one day