Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

DVD player?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:31 AM
bluedevils95

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
DVD player?

What year did they start having them in the G37? I have the 08 G35 but no DVD player but was wondering if I can just buy the unit and install it in the G35. Will it work?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 AM
FlyIce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 G37 has the DVD player function. Honestly I think it's kind of useless. The screen size is too small for watching DVD, with mediocre display quality and resolution. Plus, you can only play video once you're parked and with parking brake engaged. I think you'd be much better of buying some portable DVD players or media addon etc.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
The DVD feature was on lots of Nissans and Infinitis for many years, but not many people use it because like FlyIce said, you have to be in park with the brake on. The factory does this because they see movies as a distraction to the driver. I believe there is a way to disconnect this safety feature though. I had an aftermarket NAV/DVD player in my 370Z and wired it so it could play DVD's, but still never used it while I was driving. Much safer with your eyes on the road.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:06 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The DVD feature was on lots of Nissans and Infinitis for many years, but not many people use it because like FlyIce said, you have to be in park with the brake on. The factory does this because they see movies as a distraction to the driver. I believe there is a way to disconnect this safety feature though. I had an aftermarket NAV/DVD player in my 370Z and wired it so it could play DVD's, but still never used it while I was driving. Much safer with your eyes on the road.
It's also a legality issue, because of the safety issue. Many states don't allow a video player that the driver can see, or have size restrictions on them. This seems to be a pretty comprehensive state list.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:57 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
It's also a legality issue, because of the safety issue. Many states don't allow a video player that the driver can
see, or have size restrictions on them. This seems to be a pretty comprehensive state list.
Thanks. That's very helpful. Never knew the details of our law. Didn't know a person on a junior license who is under 18 can't even use a hands free mobile. I'll have to stress that with my soon-to-be-licensed daughter.

Sean
Old 09-30-2015, 04:20 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by VIVID
Thanks. That's very helpful. Never knew the details of our law. Didn't know a person on a junior license who is under 18 can't even use a hands free mobile. I'll have to stress that with my soon-to-be-licensed daughter.

Sean
Make sure to verify within your state. The listing for Texas is outdated. TX has banned the use of mobile/electronic devices by any driver at any time while in the act of driving. Stop and go traffic? Still a citation. Waiting at a red light? Still a citation. They're really cracking down on this. School and work zones are citations that are even more costly. Rightly so.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
It's also a legality issue, because of the safety issue. Many states don't allow a video player that the driver can see, or have size restrictions on them. This seems to be a pretty comprehensive state list.
Exactly. Leave it to the lawyers to take away all the fun stuff. Have I mentioned how much I hate traction control yet today?