Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sub/amp installed 2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Sub/amp installed 2 issues

So, this weekend in Installed a Rockford Fosgate amp and a sealed 10" sub in the trunk of my 11 G37S w/Bose and I have 2 issues

1. I tapped into the rear speaker inputs (23, 24, 25 and 26 from the Bose wiring diagram from the sticky thread) they still play music, but they have a constant wine. The noise does not seem to change pitch with RPMs.

Back when I used to work at Best Buy, I believe they used a ground loop isolater for this. Is that what I need?

2. The remote wire does not seem strong enough to turn on my amp, (I used #20 from the Bose harness) where can I find a remote wire to tap into with more current? I have heard this is mildly common for Rockford Fosgate amps.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Rybitron
So, this weekend in Installed a Rockford Fosgate amp and a sealed 10" sub in the trunk of my 11 G37S w/Bose and I have 2 issues

1. I tapped into the rear speaker inputs (23, 24, 25 and 26 from the Bose wiring diagram from the sticky thread) they still play music, but they have a constant wine. The noise does not seem to change pitch with RPMs.

Back when I used to work at Best Buy, I believe they used a ground loop isolater for this. Is that what I need?

2. The remote wire does not seem strong enough to turn on my amp, (I used #20 from the Bose harness) where can I find a remote wire to tap into with more current? I have heard this is mildly common for Rockford Fosgate amps.

1. where are you grounded? ground loop isolator could help ... i grounded to the Bose amp mounting chassis (where it bolts to the trunk floor). i didnt think it would work too well, but it did, so i left it. im not really pulling big power, though, just a 100W powered sub.

2. you could try finding a switched circuit in the fusebox and run a wire from a fuse-tap ...
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the same issues as the OP.

1. For the whine - I am still dealing with a very slight high pitched whine. It changes with RPM.. I have to find a better ground I am thinking..

2. For the remote turn-on wire I had to run a wire from the fuse box (accessory) so it turns on with the car. I have a JL Audio amp that needs a stronger turn-on signal so that was my issue.

Let me know if you resolve the whine issue.. I used the seatbelt anchor/bolt in the back seat deck.. hoping for a better solution as I am thinking maybe the ground is too close to the fuel pumps.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Originally Posted by djdiskino
I had the same issues as the OP.

1. For the whine - I am still dealing with a very slight high pitched whine. It changes with RPM.. I have to find a better ground I am thinking..

2. For the remote turn-on wire I had to run a wire from the fuse box (accessory) so it turns on with the car. I have a JL Audio amp that needs a stronger turn-on signal so that was my issue.

Let me know if you resolve the whine issue.. I used the seatbelt anchor/bolt in the back seat deck.. hoping for a better solution as I am thinking maybe the ground is too close to the fuel pumps.

sounds like you need a noise filter (alternator whine) ...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151510315157?_trksid=p2053742.c100465.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150608111723%26meid%3D500abcfcff244056933ae220178a110c%26pid%3D100465%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26
The following users liked this post:
djdiskino (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
1. where are you grounded? ground loop isolator could help ... i grounded to the Bose amp mounting chassis (where it bolts to the trunk floor). i didnt think it would work too well, but it did, so i left it. im not really pulling big power, though, just a 100W powered sub.

2. you could try finding a switched circuit in the fusebox and run a wire from a fuse-tap ...
I grounded to the bolt under the bose amp, to the trunk floor and I ran an 8 gauge ground wire all the way back to the battery.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

I grounded to the bolt under the bose amp, to the trunk floor and I ran an 8 gauge ground wire all the way back to the battery.
try a ground loop isolator/noise filter. i used to get them at Radio Shack, or you could try Best Buy, Amazon or eBay ...
Old 09-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
try a ground loop isolator/noise filter. i used to get them at Radio Shack, or you could try Best Buy, Amazon or eBay ...
I ordered a ground loop isolator and a fuse tap off amazon. Ill double check my ground cables to make sure nothing came lose as well. The stuff should be here friday, I love amazon
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Update. Installed the group loop isolator and the noise went away immediately.I also bought a fuse tap for the remote wire, but I haven't run the wire yet, maybe this evening.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Update. Installed the group loop isolator and the noise went away immediately.I also bought a fuse tap for the remote wire, but I haven't run the wire yet, maybe this evening.

good to hear.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Definitely a grounding issue.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 AM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Noise loop isolator fixed my issue as well! I ordered the PAC one from Amazon for like $8. Didn't use the brown wires included with it. I also feel like I noticed a decrease in the bass response. I already didn't have a great bass signal to begin with where I have to turn my amp sensitivity up and gain **** almost all the way. Would a rca line driver solve this? I am using the stock Bose HU. I am tapped into the rear wires like everyone else.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Originally Posted by djdiskino
Noise loop isolator fixed my issue as well! I ordered the PAC one from Amazon for like $8. Didn't use the brown wires included with it. I also feel like I noticed a decrease in the bass response. I already didn't have a great bass signal to begin with where I have to turn my amp sensitivity up and gain **** almost all the way. Would a rca line driver solve this? I am using the stock Bose HU. I am tapped into the rear wires like everyone else.
Now that you mention it, I did notice an immediate drop in bass levels after using the ground loop isolator, not exactly sure why.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
The ground loop isolator lowers the output of signal also.

I used one once and noticed that the over all signal was very reduced.

You have a ground somewhere that is either lose or close to a signal that is sending feedback though the wire.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Rybitron
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
The ground loop isolator lowers the output of signal also.

I used one once and noticed that the over all signal was very reduced.

You have a ground somewhere that is either lose or close to a signal that is sending feedback though the wire.
I grounded the amp to the bolt that hold down the small stand the Bose amp sits on in the trunk floor and ran an 8 awg wire all the way back to the battery. Could the bolt on the amp stand be a bad place to ground?

Also as an update I used a fuse tap and ran a remote wire from the fuse box in the drivers side foot well to the amp and that worked perfectly.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:05 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
The bose amp maybe emitting noise noise externally.

Try moving the ground to another location if your wire can reach

Quick Reply: Sub/amp installed 2 issues