Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio A$$holes

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry XM Radio A$$holes

So I get an email from XM about a **FREE** radio "with our heartfelt thanks". I click on the link, go to a login page at xmradio.com and I'll be danged if I can find anything on the website about a free radio. There are circular links - looks like bait and switch to me. So I send them an email from the Contact US form on the website and guess what? Here's what I got back:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

kimberly.stockdale@xmradio.com

These jerkoffs need some competition really badly.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't seem to understand this post...
Old 12-13-2010, 03:06 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It worked for me -- got redirected to this page. Maybe try logging in then going directly to that:
Shop XM Satellite Radio | Radios

There is the catch that you have to maintain your subscription for another full year after buying the radio, but obviously you would probably do that anyway. Also you probably have no chance of getting a discounted rate when you renew like many other forum members have gotten.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I couldn’t find the free radio offer on that page, so I just phoned them directly and ordered the free radio that way. Of course, there are extra charges as you say, like $7.99 shipping/handling, $.78 tax, and the subscription, which apparently is separate from my existing subscription totaling $46.77 for three months (the shortest period I could select).

I also have to go through the activation hassle when it arrives. Surely it’s not free at all, but I would still like to put an XM radio in my wife’s car as she enjoys the programming when riding in my car.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Psychoholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been trying to activate the navigation piece without any satisfaction too.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Angry

I received my free XM radio yesterday, and it truly seems worthless. There’s nothing I like about the radio including:

• The antenna must be mounted on the outside of the car somewhere. The instructions call for prying away some of the rubber molding on the rear window or windshield to fish the antenna cable through. That does not seem workable to me as there’s a good possibility of that area leaking afterward.
• The instructions also suggest that if you have no accessible mounding, then a professional installation is recommended. To me, that means drilling a hole into the car’s roof somewhere which I have no intention of doing.
• The antenna is attached to the roof only by its being magnetized. That means it can be easily removed by thieves or vandals.
• The XM audio has to play through the car’s existing FM radio by using the car’s auxiliary input connection. That’s a problem if it is already being used for some other device.
• The radio itself has to be mounted on the dash somewhere, That would give it the same “stick-on” look that many portable GPS receivers have that I dislike. It also encourages break-ins, as unlike a GPS device it cannot be removed when parking in public.
• The radio is powered via a cigarette socket power adapter. So that’s another wire cluttering the dash.
• It also requires a power vehicle dock that they provided to connect the power, antenna and radio cable to each other. That’s even more unsightly clutter.

I was going to put it in my wife’s IS250 but now I have no intention of doing that. I may donate it to my son or daughter if they want it.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I received my free XM radio yesterday, and it truly seems worthless. There’s nothing I like about the radio including:

• The antenna must be mounted on the outside of the car somewhere. The instructions call for prying away some of the rubber molding on the rear window or windshield to fish the antenna cable through. That does not seem workable to me as there’s a good possibility of that area leaking afterward.
• The instructions also suggest that if you have no accessible mounding, then a professional installation is recommended. To me, that means drilling a hole into the car’s roof somewhere which I have no intention of doing.
• The antenna is attached to the roof only by its being magnetized. That means it can be easily removed by thieves or vandals.
• The XM audio has to play through the car’s existing FM radio by using the car’s auxiliary input connection. That’s a problem if it is already being used for some other device.
• The radio itself has to be mounted on the dash somewhere, That would give it the same “stick-on” look that many portable GPS receivers have that I dislike. It also encourages break-ins, as unlike a GPS device it cannot be removed when parking in public.
• The radio is powered via a cigarette socket power adapter. So that’s another wire cluttering the dash.
• It also requires a power vehicle dock that they provided to connect the power, antenna and radio cable to each other. That’s even more unsightly clutter.

I was going to put it in my wife’s IS250 but now I have no intention of doing that. I may donate it to my son or daughter if they want it.
You dont need to remove the rubber, just push the wire underneath it.. you don't need to drill holes in your car either... honestly you can probably get away with dash mounting the antenna and snaking the wire underneath the dash(might not get the best reception though).. the unit comes out of the dock so you can can take it out of the car if you are worried about someone stealing it. No one is going to steal your antenna unless they are just trying to mess with your car.. the antenna is attached to a very long cable that will be snaked around your car so the only way to get it off is by pulling very hard or cutting it which will result in the antenna not being able to be used again. Just go to a big electronics store like best buy and pay for install if you do not feel comfortable with the task. They will warranty and stand by their work in the event that something fails.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by XMMAN
You dont need to remove the rubber, just push the wire underneath it.. you don't need to drill holes in your car either... honestly you can probably get away with dash mounting the antenna and snaking the wire underneath the dash(might not get the best reception though).. the unit comes out of the dock so you can can take it out of the car if you are worried about someone stealing it. No one is going to steal your antenna unless they are just trying to mess with your car.. the antenna is attached to a very long cable that will be snaked around your car so the only way to get it off is by pulling very hard or cutting it which will result in the antenna not being able to be used again. Just go to a big electronics store like best buy and pay for install if you do not feel comfortable with the task. They will warranty and stand by their work in the event that something fails.
I appreciate your views, but after reading the instructions I became a bit gun shy. I’m still uncomfortable with feeding cable under rubber molding lest it causes a leak or wind noise afterward. And the instructions also say, and I quote, “If your rear window does not have rubber molding, we recommend consulting a professional installer.” I interpret that to mean drilling a hole somewhere to fish the cable through. And if I were to go to an outside installer, it would certainly defeat the idea of getting a “free” radio from XM. And considering how many good cars get keyed by vandals, stealing the antenna via cutting off the exposed cable by some sicko is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps I was naïve when I ordered the radio. I thought it would be just like a portable GPS unit that plugs into a 12 volt socket and is ready to go. I didn’t realize all the trouble it takes to get it working. Perhaps the technology for that is not far off.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:26 PM
jwkde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used a portable Sirius unit (with lifetime subscription) in my 2002 BMW from the day Stern came on Sirius until September when I sold it. Always considered it a temporary install until I could get around to a permanent install.

I just kept the antenna thingee on the dash, snaked the wire behind the dash and to the unit. Bought an adapter from Radio Shack to tap into a 12v connection.

Bought a spare antenna and would take the unit in the wife's car if were going on a trip.

It worked fine. maybe once in a while, later in the day on tree lined streets i would lose the signal but other than that it was perfect.

Did the FM over the air to the radio unit.

Just finished my 3 month XM trial this week and have not been able to get XM to budge off of their 1 year pricing plan. So for the past few days I have been using the music box/ipod. I might over the holidays look at installing the sirus unit if i get bored.

Try it -- you might like it.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I appreciate your views, but after reading the instructions I became a bit gun shy. I’m still uncomfortable with feeding cable under rubber molding lest it causes a leak or wind noise afterward. And the instructions also say, and I quote, “If your rear window does not have rubber molding, we recommend consulting a professional installer.” I interpret that to mean drilling a hole somewhere to fish the cable through. And if I were to go to an outside installer, it would certainly defeat the idea of getting a “free” radio from XM. And considering how many good cars get keyed by vandals, stealing the antenna via cutting off the exposed cable by some sicko is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Perhaps I was naïve when I ordered the radio. I thought it would be just like a portable GPS unit that plugs into a 12 volt socket and is ready to go. I didn’t realize all the trouble it takes to get it working. Perhaps the technology for that is not far off.
No problem.. I used to install car stereo products.. there is a way to snake the antenna to the outside of the car without drilling.. there are wires running all through you car you dont see.. think about all the wires it takes to light up your rear lights.. those run from the front of the vehicle to the back.. you just need to take it to a trust worthy place to have the work done.. If you want you can also just buy a home dock for the piece and plug it into your stereo and enjoy the XM in your house.. i think best buy is getting between 50 and 100 to install the unit these days and they will uninstall it for free.. also they stand by their work nationwide incase you have an issue! (dont quote me on best buys policies though, im not 100% sure!) lol