Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Noob question about Nav v. non-Nav

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 123u
I have another little secret for you. It is also voice activated.
Uhh, what safety feauture are you talking about ??? I can input directions on the fly.... Did they add this feature to the G37 ?? If so, sucks to have a G37 with nav.DOMO
The nav lock-out while moving "safety" feature.

I know it's voice activated. But tell me, how do you use the voice command to search for the closest McDonald's?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
^^^^
thats why I got a 10 model. back up cam and no navi!

but by late 2012 all vehicles should be equipped with back up cams.. so now my luxury is falling behind.

I think that is because now it's required or govt making requirement for it Too many young toddlers are being run over while backing up. It's sad but true story.. Pls be careful when backing..
Old 12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^
yes that one of the reasons.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
The nav lock-out while moving "safety" feature.

I know it's voice activated. But tell me, how do you use the voice command to search for the closest McDonald's?
The real question is how you would find the closest McDonald’s via manual input if you didn’t know its address. And if you do know the address then you can use voice commands. And if you’re really hungry you can at least find the nearest restaurant via voice commands. If one is a McDonald’s then you’ve lucked out.

Yes I know other nav systems may display specific icons on the map, but if that’s a shortcoming of our system it really has nothing to do with the nav lockout.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM
2k7G35s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never use voice commands, I input locations on the fly(while simultaneously keeping my eyes on the road of course). I just did it today because I had a meeting with some people at a local restaurant, I inputted the directions while on the highway(took me 5ish minutes because I am dont just stare straight at it for more than 2-3 seconds).
Old 12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7G35s
I never use voice commands, I input locations on the fly(while simultaneously keeping my eyes on the road of course). I just did it today because I had a meeting with some people at a local restaurant, I inputted the directions while on the highway(took me 5ish minutes because I am dont just stare straight at it for more than 2-3 seconds).
That suggests you either own other than an Infiniti that may allow manual inputs while driving, or you have hacked your Nissan system. If it’s the latter, no further explanation is acceptable on this site.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
The real question is how you would find the closest McDonald’s via manual input if you didn’t know its address. And if you do know the address then you can use voice commands. And if you’re really hungry you can at least find the nearest restaurant via voice commands. If one is a McDonald’s then you’ve lucked out.

Yes I know other nav systems may display specific icons on the map, but if that’s a shortcoming of our system it really has nothing to do with the nav lockout.
I believe you can do this by manually entering the restaurant's name, e.g. McDonald, then sort the results by distance. So no address is needed. "McDonald's" is just an example, think about other possibilities.

Like I said in another thread, if they decide to have the lock-out, at least provide some other way to access the data. For example:

1. Provide a "more" command to list more than 5 options
2. Provide a way to enter names via voice, e.g. letter by letter

Last edited by hadokenuh; 12-09-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM
zhaofl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I believe you can do this by manually entering the restaurant's name, e.g. McDonald, then sort the results by distance. So no address is needed. "McDonald's" is just an example, think about other possibilities.

Like I said in another thread, if they decide to have the lock-out, at least provide some other way to access the data. For example:

1. Provide a "more" command to list more than 5 options
2. Provide a way to enter names via voice, e.g. letter by letter
Yes, that is the most annoying part of the safety feature, lacking the method to do a search by name. Even on a basic portable Garmin GPS, I can manually search a place by name, not knowing what the exact category it is.

While driving a G37, if I get a call from friends to meet somewhere. Either I have to quickly enter the place at the stop light, or if on the interstate, I have to use the voice search in google map on the smartphone to get the exact address and somehow input the address into the vehicle's NAV. It is pathetic that Infiniti can not provide a simple way to enter the name through voice command.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k7G35s
I do the same thing. In fact, I've been doing it that way ever since I got my first in-dash navigation system in my 2001 Acura CL. All of those Acura navigation systems allowed the driver full use of the entire navigation system at any speed. There were no restrictions while you were moving the way navigation systems were designed today. Thankfully, the more modern systems are easy to fool. On my 4Runner (which is a newer system), I just grounded a single wire and now I have full control without restrictions.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM
nrp

I didn't read all posts but obviously nav is a personal preference. I have nav and while it came in handy MANY times for me, I have recently noticed it is a bit pointless now that I have a Droid, which offers superior navigation to the G, has much better traffic, is accessible while in motion, and has much better voice input. The Gs nag seems so outdated in comparison.