MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & Electronics (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics-310/)
-   -   Noob question about Nav v. non-Nav (https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/215302-noob-question-about-nav-v-non-nav.html)

boiler725 12-07-2010 12:05 PM

Noob question about Nav v. non-Nav

I've been stalking the forum for awhile and have learned a great deal from all of you. My thanks for that! I qualify for VPP and it appears the deals may be too sweet for me to pass up at this point :JAMIN:

I am looking at getting a 2011 G37xs but I'm unsure whether I should have the dealer locate me one with NAV. So my question is...

What are the differences in getting NAV versus not getting it? I know what is listed as part of the NAV package per the website (Nav, weather, traffic, Zagat, bigger HD, touchscreen with DVD playback) but there are other "things" that you get that are not listed like the back up camera.

Anyone know of any other differences good or bad??

Thanks!

sniper27 12-07-2010 12:54 PM

you do not need NAV to get backup camera.

wlmngtn 12-07-2010 12:55 PM

The nav is a MUST. I understand not getting the Tech package which is garbage, but plz do your self a favor and inest a little more on the Nav Package. You will regret it in the future if you dont.

LightsOut 12-07-2010 01:02 PM

nav gives you everything...

non nav still has reverse camera and 2gb hard drive

I choose not to have nav. I use a tom tom.

volnedan 12-07-2010 01:21 PM

Its all about personal preference. For me, I had hard time finding a vehicle without nav because I don't want one. For the rare occasions I use it, I have a Garmin Nuvi that works like a charm and only cost me $150.

But like another poster said, you get more options with the nav radio (XM weather/traffic, Zagat reviews, larger HDD capacity, etc).

Black Betty 12-07-2010 01:28 PM

You'll get widely varying passionate opinions. My personal choice is yes, get it. However, keep in mind that if you don't get Nav from the factory it isn't possible (at least not practically) to add OEM Nav later.

rks 12-07-2010 01:31 PM

I didn't want the NAV, only the 6mt. Now the "S" doesn't have any options, everything is standard.

LightsOut 12-07-2010 01:39 PM

on 10's 6mt you had options.

TeRRoRiFiC35 12-07-2010 01:39 PM

I found the Nav and the options that come with it to be pointless. The storage on the HU is useless to me since it doesnt allow u to uploads mp3's or burn from burnt cd's. My phone has Nav and that doesnt cost me 3k for it

Chekov 12-07-2010 01:58 PM

The main difference between non-nav and nav is that without nav you will soon regret your decision and post here asking if you can install OEM nav on a non-nav car. You will then be told it is impractical and too expensive to do so and that you should just get a portable unit. If you can get past the “stick on” appearance of such units and in that you’ll have to hide yours or take it with you whenever you park in pubic, they will be right.

wlmngtn 12-07-2010 02:02 PM

^haha I finally agree with Chevok!

sniper27 12-07-2010 02:03 PM

we have NAV on the M35 and the Audi. i wanted the non sport G with white and black interior, which was pretty hard to come by. at the time, there was only 1 in that color combo in the state, which didn't have NAV. the color combo was more important to me than the NAV, as I have a Garmin. From using both the Garmin and the factory NAV from the M35 and the Audi, I find the Garmin to be actually easier and faster when trying to input a destination.

evilpanda 12-07-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by LightsOut (Post 3014711)
nav gives you everything...

non nav still has reverse camera and 2gb hard drive

I choose not to have nav. I use a tom tom.

same here. tomtom works wonders for me plus we rarely use navigation since the G is for local trips. We have the FX with nav for long trips.

boiler725 12-07-2010 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses... While I'm sure I would probably not use the NAV all that much I do fear regretting it later as some have pointed out. From what I can tell the NAV unit in the G is a good one but not having any significant experience leads me to wonder if I would get much benefit. We opted to get NAV in my wife's new Mazda and the system is junk. I'd rather use my Garmin...

Thanks for pointing out that the backup camera is still included outside the NAV option. Apparently my salesman was misinformed as well...

hadokenuh 12-07-2010 03:04 PM

Garmin/Tomtom nav
Pros:
* Work better
* No lock up while moving
* Cheap

Cons:
* Have to stick it on your windshield
* Hide it when you park

Infiniti Nav
Pros:
* Complete package - Integration
* Nice graphics + big screen plus all those nice features

Cons:
* Expensive
* Stupid "safety" feature with limited functionality while moving.