Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Does the G support anything other than iphone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Sal123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the G support anything other than iphone?

I have had an iphone 3G, BB Bold, Samsung Captivate, BB Torch and now a windows phone 7 (which I haven't tried to yet) and the only one that the car can control when connected by USB is the iphone. At this point I just keep my 8g nano plugged in all the time. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just designed for the iphone and nothing else?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well i'm assuming you have an 2010 or 2011 since you have usb connections. I had a BB storm 2 and was able to control it as well as my droid x all over bluetooth audio. I dont bother plugging my phone in since i have a ipod plugged in for that. You should try synching through bluetooth for your win 7 phone.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Sal123

Originally Posted by godzilla619
Well i'm assuming you have an 2010 or 2011 since you have usb connections. I had a BB storm 2 and was able to control it as well as my droid x all over bluetooth audio. I dont bother plugging my phone in since i have a ipod plugged in for that. You should try synching through bluetooth for your win 7 phone.
Yeah 2010. You were able to control the device through the bluetooth audio or you used the device itself and just streamed the music?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Steering wheel and radio controls work to forward, repeat, go back, volume, and navigate menus. Make sure it's not just connected as a phone but also bluetooth audio. You will need to make sure that when you intially get in the car that your phone is set to play through bluetooth audio and not through headphone or built in speakers.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:52 PM
God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal123
I have had an iphone 3G, BB Bold, Samsung Captivate, BB Torch and now a windows phone 7 (which I haven't tried to yet) and the only one that the car can control when connected by USB is the iphone. At this point I just keep my 8g nano plugged in all the time. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just designed for the iphone and nothing else?

let me know what you figure out re: the windows phone 7! which model did you get? i have the samsung focus but i haven't tried hooking it up to my 09 g37 yet.

how ya likin' the phone?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33 AM
carz

i like the USB over iPod

the sound quality is SO much better
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM
whyjay91

Originally Posted by God
let me know what you figure out re: the windows phone 7! which model did you get? i have the samsung focus but i haven't tried hooking it up to my 09 g37 yet.

how ya likin' the phone?
So I just paired my new Samsung Focus with my '08 G37 coupe without Nav. It paired fine and works great for number dialing but not for voice dialing. My previous phone stored voice clips to each phone book entry which is how I was able to say "Call Home" through the G's bluetooth. But the Samsung seems to require that I have the phone unlocked, hold down the start icon on the phone, and then speak a name.

Anyone figured this out?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
whyjay91

Originally Posted by whyjay91
So I just paired my new Samsung Focus with my '08 G37 coupe without Nav. It paired fine and works great for number dialing but not for voice dialing. My previous phone stored voice clips to each phone book entry which is how I was able to say "Call Home" through the G's bluetooth. But the Samsung seems to require that I have the phone unlocked, hold down the start icon on the phone, and then speak a name.

Anyone figured this out?

Thanks
Nevermind, it looks like I could re-record all of my contacts into the car itself. A pain, but it works so I'm happy. Love the Samsung Focus.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
dopey
Registered Member

The Infiniti USB interface really only supports remote control via the apple AiR protocol. For support of "generic" USB devices, it uses mass storage device class, where effectively, it's not a remote control, but rather reading the files from the device and decoding them natively.

I don't know of blackberry or windows phone 7 has a mass storage device mode (android devices do, and sorta work with the USB interface with some caveats), but if they don't, they won't work.

I've wondered if the infiniti head unit can control MTP devices but I don't have any MTP compliant devices.