Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPhone 3G 4.0 OS update -- something's not right with G

Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
iPhone 3G 4.0 OS update -- something's not right with G

OK, this may not apply to the 2010 owners who have the USB connection, but for those of us who have a 2009 or below with the older iPod cable:

I've been using the iPhone 3G for my ipod recently since my real ipod broke. As has been discussed in numerous threads, this never worked perfectly. It doesn't charge without a passport or some other intermediate hardware device, but otherwise it works fine for playing songs and controlling the iPod through the car stereo interface.

Also you get about 10 warnings on the phone every time you plug it in that charging is not supported and the accessory is not really made for the iPhone, blah blah blah. Whatever, works fine until I can get a new iPod classic.

Well, at least until yesterday when I updated to the 4.0 OS. Suddenly today I found that it would play for a minute and then cut out until I disconnected and reconnected the iPhone.

I think I fixed this by changing the settings on the phone -- disabling the "Auto lock" feature (setting it to never). I usually had it on 1 minute. Even if I hit the lock button on top of the phone it continues to play. It just seems that the auto-lock causes it to sleep now for some reason when it did not before.

When I unplugged the phone later, I went back into the settings to turn the auto-lock back on and it was already set to 1 minute again. My *hope* is that it will remember to be set for never every time I plug it in and 1 minute whenever I unplug it. If that's the case, I'm actually semi-impressed.

Or maybe I didn't really set it that way in the first place and it's just a coincidence that it worked after that. I don't know, but am a bit confused now. I didn't have time to test it any more thoroughly than that, but I just wanted to share what I've discovered today, in case anyone else runs into the same issue.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 AM
SM_Shadowman

Well, none of this stuff happened today, so I guess it was just one of those things. Phone stayed on 1 minute auto-lock, never disconnected and worked as it always had.

Must have either had a bad connection or just needed a reboot yesterday. Anyway, it's working for now. I'll be back if it acts up again.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I downloaded 4.0 2 days ago and have not had any issues yet. Hopefully yours was one of those one time events. I have been using an i-phone 3GS now for most of this year and a couple of times it has acted strange. Once I turn it off and back on, everything has been fine.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:14 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know it's not exactly the same but I've been using my iPhone 4 for 3 days now and no problems whatsoever...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:10 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I know it's not exactly the same but I've been using my iPhone 4 for 3 days now and no problems whatsoever...
I'm guessing you still need the passport or something with the iPhone 4 so it can charge? Or do you just let it run on batteries?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:00 PM
chasemyaccord

Hmm...I haven't updated to 4.0 yet. But I do know my iPod cable is a bit loose when connected to my phone and sometimes I lose connectivity. Not sure if that's your problem, but now I'm reluctant to update to 4.0 haha.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM
SM_Shadowman

Yeah, I think that may have been more like it -- even though I tried reconnecting at both ends a few times before it finally stopped.

Who knows? Maybe it just got dust in the connector and I needed to blow in it like the old Nintendo cartridges.

Anyway it's still working fine, so I'm banking on it was just a fluke.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:56 PM
ripleyIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
I'm guessing you still need the passport or something with the iPhone 4 so it can charge? Or do you just let it run on batteries?
Sorry what is the passport thing?

I have just updated to 4.0 software hoping my iPhone 3G (no S) would work. It hasn't helped.

I still have problems streaming on bluetooth. I suppose I could try the USB cable, but why have bluetooth if you can't use it. (I like to keep my iPhone in my backpack.)
Old 06-27-2010, 03:52 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by ripleyIII
Sorry what is the passport thing?

I have just updated to 4.0 software hoping my iPhone 3G (no S) would work. It hasn't helped.

I still have problems streaming on bluetooth. I suppose I could try the USB cable, but why have bluetooth if you can't use it. (I like to keep my iPhone in my backpack.)
The '09 and earlier Gs don't have USB. Instead, there's an iPod cable and a memory card slot. The ipod cable *works* with the iPhone, iPod Touch or newer iPod Nanos but does not charge any of those. Other models of ipods that support firewire charging are able to charge using the G37 ipod connector.

Otherwise, one would need to buy an adaptor for charging an iPhone. Hence, the passport. From what I've read here it's not the greatest product because it tends to not stay connected.
Charging Adapter for iPod & iPhone

That sucks that the bluetooth isn't working for you. I suppose you tried some of the ideas in this thread?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...esitating.html
Otherwise, I saw you wrote you ordered the iPhone 4. Good luck!

None of that is relevant to you, however, if you have a 2010 G with the USB connection and/or want to use bluetooth .
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 AM
SM_Shadowman

Something is still a little off now. On several occasions today when I started the car and connected the phone it took a few times of connecting and disconnecting just to get it to recognize the iPhone was connected. Once it finally registered it stayed connected, though.

When I have time I'll try my wife's nano (3rd generation which supports firewire charging) to see if the problem is coming from the phone or if maybe there's a cable problem or something.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
jran76

Hmmm.... iPhone 4 is not working at all. It connects without issue, but I can't play any songs and it ignores any commands. My iPhone 3G had connection issues, but it always worked well once connected.

I have tried the 4 with and without my passport adapter with no luck....
Old 06-29-2010, 07:18 PM
dannbla
LA G Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if this will help with your guys issues,
and I am not an Iphone user
but my girlfriend has one and whenever we plugged her phone into the adapter she puts
the airplane mode off on her phone, and there is no issues
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
Hmmm.... iPhone 4 is not working at all. It connects without issue, but I can't play any songs and it ignores any commands. My iPhone 3G had connection issues, but it always worked well once connected.

I have tried the 4 with and without my passport adapter with no luck....
my iphone 4 connects to my G, plays music, etc with absolutely no problems I have an 09 so it has the connector straight to the car w/o any kind of middle connector
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
my iphone 4 connects to my G, plays music, etc with absolutely no problems I have an 09 so it has the connector straight to the car w/o any kind of middle connector
Strangely, mine worked today with no issues at all. I guess there was something weird going on the first few times I tried it. It actually connects much better than my 3G, and everything else is the same (I had to plug my 3G in 4-5 times before it was detected in most cases, and my 4 works the first time every time now....).
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by dannbla
not sure if this will help with your guys issues,
and I am not an Iphone user
but my girlfriend has one and whenever we plugged her phone into the adapter she puts
the airplane mode off on her phone, and there is no issues
She turns the airplane mode on or off? The warning on the phone when you plug in (to many accessories) says you might want to turn it on to reduce interference -- it's normally off, and probably already off on all of ours. And no I'm not turning it on. Horrible solution because that means you can't use the phone.

The purpose of turning on airplane mode (and the reason you get a warning about it) is to reduce audio interference with speakers from wifi and cell signals. This sometimes can be more apparent on speaker docks. Never had any reason to in the G with the phone in the center armrest.

I haven't had any issues with it (other than not charging) until I upgraded to the 4.0 OS and it started getting slightly flaky. Not every day, just once in a while now. And I get more of those stupid warnings to close everytime I plug it in.

In other words, Can't wait until I get that ipod classic 7th-gen to leave in the car full time. Then I can free up more space for apps on my phone and stop forgetting it in the car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone 3G 4.0 OS update -- something's not right with G