Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iPhone 3G 4.0 OS update -- something's not right with G

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have a 3G (non S) and OS 4.0 has seemed to make it more laggy and unresponsive in general. Functionality in the G ('08) is the same though. Still need the Passport for it to charge but it plays just as it did before.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
aliang01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine would sometimes load the iPod interface on my nav screen, show me the songs but when I click to play, it wouldn't play. I'd then have to restart my phone to get it to work. I thought it was just a BETA issue with dev 4.x but its doing it now even on 4.0.2 GM. Aggravating.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have a 3G (non S) and OS 4.0 has seemed to make it more laggy and unresponsive in general. Functionality in the G ('08) is the same though. Still need the Passport for it to charge but it plays just as it did before.
+1. Mine seems to lag quite a bit more. It's a common problem across all iPhone 3G's. I regret updating mine now, as the threaded e-mails and folder organization is not worth the performance degradation. I might try to roll back to 3.1.2 if this isn't resolved soon.

Some people have reported that doing a restore helped, but most say that's not the case. I thought about just getting the new iPhone 4 since I qualify for the upgrade anyway, but with the "solid" news leak from Bloomberg saying the Verizon iPhone will be here by January, I'm tempted to wait.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
xBLACKMAM8Ax

I have a 09 G37xS and i just purchased the iphone 4. I use the Griffin Charge Converter as a middle piece between my iphone and the cable for the car. It works great and i have not had one problem as of yet. You can order the Griffin Charge Converter on their website like i did. Hope this helps.....
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
+1. Mine seems to lag quite a bit more. It's a common problem across all iPhone 3G's. I regret updating mine now, as the threaded e-mails and folder organization is not worth the performance degradation. I might try to roll back to 3.1.2 if this isn't resolved soon.

Some people have reported that doing a restore helped, but most say that's not the case. I thought about just getting the new iPhone 4 since I qualify for the upgrade anyway, but with the "solid" news leak from Bloomberg saying the Verizon iPhone will be here by January, I'm tempted to wait.
Hmm. Yeah I have noticed it's slower when browsing through songs or genres (i use the genres for alphabetical listing by artist) now in the car interface also. I guess the problem is we're installing an OS designed for a phone with better hardware.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
chasemyaccord

I don't understand why they didn't release this OS to the iPhone 2G as well. Pretty much the same hardware as the iPhone 3G, sans the 3G radio. It should've been either to both phones, or to none at all. I almost wish they said it wasn't for the 3G, that way I would've just kept my 3.1.2.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Sytrash

Question

In general, I have notice two issues with my 3G and 09' G. Let's see if we have solution to one of these:

1) Connection thru cables sometimes work, sometimes doesn't now. Once it connects, it works like how it used to be.

2) Bluetooth phone connection doesn't work anymore.

Many have experienced 1), any experienced 2) ?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
SM_Shadowman

No, bluetooth is working fine still. Have you tried "forgetting the device" in the iPhone settings & pairing it up with the car again, etc. ? Do you have access to any other bluetooth devices you can try it with?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
kmp

I didn't do the upgrade because my 3G is running 3.13 jail-broken and unlocked.....and my contract expires in 3 weeks....then off for a Moto X droid on...wait for it...Verizon. I'll probably root it too. I'm just that way.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:55 AM
chasemyaccord

Hey BB, so check this out. I tried downgrading to 3.1.2 from 4.0, and I somewhat got it to work, except I had no reception (probably the OS and newly installed baseband firmware wasn't compatible). I nearly bricked my phone AND my computer (don't install libusb if you're on Windows 7, it disabled all my USB ports since I didn't install properly and I had to do a system restore).

Anyway, I tried updating to 3.1.3 with no additional luck. So I figured why not just go back to 4.0 until I can find a better way to downgrade again. After loading 4.0 again, now it's pretty fast! MUCH faster than before, that's for sure. I think I'm going to keep the OS now. I've heard online of other people saying you had to install the OS twice, but I didn't believe it until now. You might want to give that a shot.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 AM
chasemyaccord

Okay actually, the 4.0 is now faster than 3.1.3. How weird. I'm almost afraid to jailbreak it since I don't want it to lag like before...
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Frankyg37s

does anyone find that theres not much bass when connected to ipod(iphoneOS4.0)????this has been freaking me out???
Old 07-06-2010, 01:07 PM
chasemyaccord

Okay so I'm not sure if it's because of the jailbreak, but my 4.0 update is once again really slow. Really starting to **** me off...
Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 PM
jasijay2112

I have an Ipod Touch in an '10 G37xS and after upgrading to iOS4.0 the iPod interface is dreadfully slow. I have been reading alot online that the 4.0 upgrade has casued a lot of issues with different iPods-iPhones and even other Ipod integrated stereo systems in other cars.
thanx Apple!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
LiamT

My 2010 G37 is definitely not working right with an iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0. It might work for one song, but then cuts out and sometimes freezes the entire system requiring a full restart of the car. I previously had a 2007 G35, and I had a feeling when I saw the USB input in the 2010 that these types of problems would come up. I much preferred the AV inputs in the 2007, through which I could listen to anything I wanted, including music apps on my phone as well as other devices.

The iPhone integration was an important feature when I got my new 2010, and I sincerely hope that this gets worked out. Does Infiniti have a history of updating its firmware to keep up to date with new products?

Quick Reply: iPhone 3G 4.0 OS update -- something's not right with G