Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

The car/navi system's voice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
TL62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car/navi system's voice

Hi all,

I've been going through the instruction booklets for the voice/navi system. Has anyone been able to silence the car's voice altogether when it comes to dialing and saying destinations hands-free? I never like to wait for the voice instructions to tell you "say the three digit area code, then dial the first three numbers, then blah blah blah". I just want to be able to say it without waiting for the car to tell me what to do.

I know there is the option of getting the vocal instructions to be shorter/simplified, but can we set it so that we don't have to wait for her to finish speaking and just jump right into saying the next thing we want?

Thanks all!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Settings, scroll down to last option, enable "Alternate Command Mode" and then "minimize voice feedback"
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike
Settings, scroll down to last option, enable "Alternate Command Mode" and then "minimize voice feedback"
Did this work? I believe I am already using those settings, but it is still unbelievably pedantic and annoying with the endless repeated prompts.

For example, I want to be able to just say "Call Bob" if "Bob" is already a phonebook entry with an associated number and voicetag. Is that possible?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
If the voicetag “Bob” is already in your address book, the command, “Phonebook Bob” should dial the number for you.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Marc Collins

But not "Call Bob" or "Dial Bob"? Perhaps I am just using the wrong terminology?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
But not "Call Bob" or "Dial Bob"? Perhaps I am just using the wrong terminology?
Yes, it has to be "Phonebook Bob."

The only time you can use "dial Bob" is when you hand the phone to a passenger and ask them to dial Bob. The command then would be, "Hey, take this phone and call Bob for me."
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by Chekov
Yes, it has to be "Phonebook Bob."

The only time you can use "dial Bob" is when you hand the phone to a passenger and ask them to dial Bob. The command then would be, "Hey, take this phone and call Bob for me."
LOL. Thanks, I'll try "Phonebook Bob" even though it sounds more like hit Bob with a thick telpehone directory. I guess "call" or "dial," terms used worldwide for connecting to someone via a phone, was too easy for Nissan!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Marc Collins

Sorry, even with "Alternate Command Mode" enabled and "minimize voice feedback" you cannot simply issue the command "Phonebook Bob." You can say "Phonebook" and then it will natter on about selecting something and then you can finally say "Bob" and then it will ask you if you want to Dial--which is the only choice and why else would you say the name if you didn't want it to dial?

I guess it is concerned about dialing a number you don't want if it happens to misunderstand the command, so like Microsoft Windows Vista, we get prompts over and over again, every time, to do simple tasks to compensate for the once in 50 times you might click the wrong thing if you weren't paying attention.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Sorry, even with "Alternate Command Mode" enabled and "minimize voice feedback" you cannot simply issue the command "Phonebook Bob." You can say "Phonebook" and then it will natter on about selecting something and then you can finally say "Bob" and then it will ask you if you want to Dial--which is the only choice and why else would you say the name if you didn't want it to dial?
I’m sorry too, because you’re 100% wrong, at least in my car. If he says “Phonebook Bob” the next thing he will hear is the voice saying, “dialing” and the call will go through. I suspect you do not have the voicetags for such numbers set up in your phone book. The OP said he had. I won’t go through the procedures to do this with you as they are in the owner’s manual.

If you have phonebook voicetags set up then perhaps your problem is that this command was taken out in later ‘08’s. Mine is an early ‘08 so I can’t really tell if you have it or not. But you may want to check if you have the Phonebook (voicetag) command by pressing the Info button, Voice Recognition, Command List and then Phone. If you have it, it will be listed there.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Marc Collins

I have voicetags properly configured and I have an '09. The system was changed in '09 apparently and again for the '10's. I wish they had left it like yours!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 AM
lus007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got a 2010 G37 yesterday and this problem immediately came to my attention. While I am impressed by the accuracy of the voice recognition, waiting for the system to list all of the options/categories for every call or activity gets old and annoying really fast -- though I'm sure it significantly increases accuracy. Diving into the manual, I see some hope, but I haven't actually tried anything yet. The original post asked if "we can set it so that we don't have to wait for her to finish speaking...." before we can give a command. It's not a setting, but on the 2010's at least, we can press the "talk" button on the wheel anytime "to stop the voice prompt and give the command at once." And the manual says that in "Alternate Command Mode" the "voice command menu prompts are turned off." Further, the list of commands in the manual has ("Call/Dial" "<name>" -- "dials the specified name"). So "Call Bob" may be possible now.