Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Why don't car manufacturers use name-brand nav systems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:38 PM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't car manufacturers use name-brand nav systems?

A few of my friends were debating this last week, and I honestly had no clue what the correct answer was. It's generally agreed upon that most handheld navigation systems (Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom, etc) are FAR superior to most in-dash navigation systems that come installed in new cars. Handhelds update automatically, have better voice recognition features, more route options, etc etc etc.

So why aren't auto manufacturers contracting with the handheld manufacturers and installing versions of their handhelds in cars? We could be driving an Infiniti G37, featuring a Garmin navigation system. Or Ford and GM could run commercials advertising their new cars with Magellan navigation interfaces. There are obvious benefits for both the auto and the nav manufacturers!

Can anyone think of any conceivable reason that this isn't happening?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:47 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cost, perhaps Garmin won't license to them or they can find a cheaper vendor. What I'd like to see is a standard for GPS and a port so you can buy what ever and just plug it in.. similar to our IPOD interface. Then you could take it out, plan a trip with your computer and upload the route, Points of interest ect.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
TopTech

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suzuki has been advertising a Garmin, I think. It's a little pop-up screen. I'd rather have the bigger screen tho.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM
jadams

You might have gotten your wish. Zenrin, the maker of the current Infiniti maps, has been taken over by Navteq. No update yet for the G.
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...llProducts=YES
Old 10-12-2008, 12:42 AM
ppc

How could the car manufactures justify $2000 for the option when you can buy a retail unit from the same manufacture for $200.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ppc
How could the car manufactures justify $2000 for the option when you can buy a retail unit from the same manufacture for $200.
Easy, it is built into the car system! And to get voice commands (the voice gives you the name of the streets) the unit needs to be at least $250 and the commands suck compared to the factory unit in the G37. Trust me, I bought a Garmin when I went to Phoenix and is sucked compared to my car unit. Also the other main reason is that aftermarket piece will get stolen if you leave it in the car whereas the factory unit will not. I don't know about you but I am not going to be carrying and aftermarket unit around since I am a man and don't wear purses or don't like wasting my time to put a unit in the trunk. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:27 PM
rrrevin

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
A few of my friends were debating this last week, and I honestly had no clue what the correct answer was. It's generally agreed upon that most handheld navigation systems (Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom, etc) are FAR superior to most in-dash navigation systems that come installed in new cars. Handhelds update automatically, have better voice recognition features, more route options, etc etc etc.

So why aren't auto manufacturers contracting with the handheld manufacturers and installing versions of their handhelds in cars? We could be driving an Infiniti G37, featuring a Garmin navigation system. Or Ford and GM could run commercials advertising their new cars with Magellan navigation interfaces. There are obvious benefits for both the auto and the nav manufacturers!

Can anyone think of any conceivable reason that this isn't happening?
This is easy.. profit. It's much easier to charge $2000 for a "higher end" NAV system, then it would be to charge that same $2000 for a TomTom. They probably still buy the units for $150 each.. but they can charge a hell of a lot more for the non-consumer grade product.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
When you consider how much these OEM nav systems are integrated into the car’s other functions, like audio, climate control, voice recognition, music box, maintenance , back-up camera, etc., it apparently is much more cost effective for the car manufacturers to design these systems themselves and just contract out the mapping functions.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
AudioShoppe

Garmin in G37?

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
We could be driving an Infiniti G37, featuring a Garmin navigation system.
Like us? Check out our Garmin...